Screen Cracked, need to retrieve data.

wannadev

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I Cracked the screen on my on my galaxy s3, it has not only gone completely black, but the screen is totally unresponsive. I am going to get it sent away to get fixed as it is insured, however it will be wiped and i want to save what i can before that. i tried the adb, but it just comes up with command prompt, whole lot of words fly past, then it closes. nothing else happens. i don't know if the phone was in debug mode or not. if there is a way to control the phone from pc, including moving the screen, can someone please let me know as i have a lot of long websites saved on memos, which dont come up on kies.

Thanks in advance.:mad::':)(

wannadev

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, problem is that when i connect to pc, it doesn't come up in my computer, there is no usb utilities on the s3, unlike the s2, but i would have to activate it from the phone prior to plugging in anyway.

If anyone knows of a way to view what is on the screen of the s3 from pc, say via an emu or something, please let me know. its going away next week to get repaired but i want to save what i can first.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
if you use samsung kies software, it lets you do a backup without interacting with the phone. at least that worked for me.

Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

That will work, but if the OP has a password/pin code set on the phone then he can't even use Kies.

I plugged in my S3 today to export some photos to my PC. I set a password today. When you plug in your phone and open kies, the program says insert your password on your device to connect with your PC.

So if the OP's screen is broken and doesnt turn on or respond then it's not possible.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
use drop box or store NOTHING you can't afford to lose.....or use a non corporate slate micro sd card.........

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Stacey Aguirre

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem ! I have more than 800 photos on my Samsung Galaxy s3 , and the screen is completly black , I need to find a way to retrieve those pictures before I send my phone in to get it Replaced !
Really would Appreciate the feedback!

Joe D2

May 30, 2013
Visit site
if you have a replacement plan wait until you get the new replacement, then remove the back panel on both devices (few screws need to be removed), disconnect the display on the broken unit and connect the display of the new unit to the broken unit. this will allow you to log in and do what you need to do [backup, reset, etc.] before you have to return your old broken device.

Attachments

• sms_g_s3_broken_disp_recovery_3.jpg
    sms_g_s3_broken_disp_recovery_3.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 114

datasaver

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If you know the password and you have Drop Box installed, you can use the Screen Capture Function if you have it. Even though I could not see the screen the screen capture would capture the screen. Plug in device, open Drop Box from the computer you are plugged into. When you capture the screen (Home Button and Power button at same time) it will upload the picture to Drop Box. Have Drop Box window open and refresh if needed. By doing this I was able to see the main screen and was able to best guess the fingering for the code. If you do it right you will verify it is unlocked with another screen capture. After unlocked you can use Kies to transfer data. Very time consuming, but worked for me. Hope this helps someone, it was a life saver for me.

eliotc

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Don't bother with Team Viewer . you're phone has to be fully functional to estalish the connection between phone and PC.

ysboat

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Joe D2 you are a genius! worked perfectly! it's always the solution that was right in front of you the whole time.... easy as 123!

Piffer28

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
if you have a replacement plan wait until you get the new replacement, then remove the back panel on both devices (few screws need to be removed), disconnect the display on the broken unit and connect the display of the new unit to the broken unit. this will allow you to log in and do what you need to do [backup, reset, etc.] before you have to return your old broken device.

I am not a techy person. My question is, do you need both phones on? I noticed you have a battery in the old phone. My replacement did not come with a battery. Do I need 2??? I have them all unscrewed. I connected the the new phone into the old one and turned it on, and it sounded like it turned on, but there was nothing on the screen. Just black.

lcordero0811

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

how do you remove the back panel?

Ashley Sewell

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Joe is amazing! Thanks!

Take the back panel off by removing the tiny screws. The display screen connector is just to the left and down a little from the memory slot.
You only need battery in old phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae