Travelling to Thailand with rooted S3

stragf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my new S3 last weekend (put the fear of God in me!) and I am going to Thailand. I am a newbie at this, and here is my question. I am on the Telus network in Canada, and T-Mobile and Telus rooting are the same process on the SGH-I747.

Having now rooted my phone, can I purchase a sim card in asia and then use the phone for data, texting and calling without incurring roaming and usage charges with my carrier here in Canada? The cost of an international plan is absolutely outrageous!

Thanks for your assistance

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You will first have to unlock the phone. Someone here should be able to let you know which provider with be compatible with the Frequencies.

Rockafella

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My S3 is unlocked only running stock with nova launcher. I'm using right now in Qatar. Works perfectly with 3G. You will need to get a local SIM card to avoid roaming charges. No way around that. Just get a pay as you go SIM card and load it to get the local rates. To unlock mine I paid a small fee to a phone unlock service on the Internet. All you have to do is google phone unlock service and you will get a plethora of services. When you get the email with the unlock code, write it down on a piece of paper. Insert the new SIM card and it will tell you unauthorized sim enter unlock code. Once you type it in the phone is unlocked for good. The service I'm using is Qtel. It's pay as you go.

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually Rockafella, you don't need to use the 3rd party service - depending where you bought the phone. I got my unlock code directly from T-Mobile (since I bought my phone from them) -- I told them that I would be using my phone in Europe and will be unlocking it so that I can put a European SIM card in it, while traveling there. Within a week, the unlock code was emailed to me.

Rockafella

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually Rockafella, you don't need to use the 3rd party service - depending where you bought the phone. I got my unlock code directly from T-Mobile (since I bought my phone from them) -- I told them that I would be using my phone in Europe and will be unlocking it so that I can put a European SIM card in it, while traveling there. Within a week, the unlock code was emailed to me.

Sorry I didn't have a week to wait for an unlock code. Needed it ASAP so I paid for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1