Jelly bean update and bluetooth Calling issue

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I just updated to JB last night on my S3 and everything is working groovy...

Until I decided to try and make a bluetooth call in my 2007 Infiniti G35 S. The sound is all garbled and sounds like a bad B-list alien movie with weird noises and static and the likes. I tried it with a PS3 headset and worked fine. Talked to Tmb and did all the usual BS - soft reset, hard reset - nothing. I called Samsung and they were less helpful, blaming the car and that I should get some update from the car manufacturer (Car companies don't update their bluetooth profiles). Called Tmb again and they said they were pushing it to the engineers but I'm not holding my breath. I know enough about code and this totally seems like Samsung/Tmb dropped the ball somewhere when copying in the standard bluetooth profiles for car manufacturers.

So I'm Soled at the moment - either get another phone so I can talk legally while driving or get a new car. The latter isn't really a valid option lol.

Anyone see the same issues or similar? Solutions or workarounds would be great too.

Thanks.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Nope no problem with bluetooth yet. Your car is 2005, and the phone is 2012. But then newer devices are built to be backwards compatible. Have you tried bluetooth calling with a different but new phone?

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I went to Tmb and snagged a Note II demo and tested it and it worked fine. I think its a corrupt install for some reason, because yeah a 5 year old car shouldn't have a problem and as you said backwards compatible. My only wonder is that maybe its the 4.1.2 build versus Notes II 4.2 build. Although that is even more questionable since you'd think someone would have had a similar issue as I did with a nissan since its the same tech.

There is no way to flash the update to the phone again without rooting do you know?

Hamlet Liriano

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am having problem with my phone dropping BT connection every few minutes. My car (2013 Honda Accord) detects, pairs, and connects to the car, but every few minutes the Bluetooth connection disconnects from my car. The connection is lost for about 30 seconds, then the connection is reestablished. I am also unable to import my contact from SIM card to the HandsFreeLink system (BlueTooth). The problem repeats itself every few minutes. Phone is OK when using a Bluetooth headset. The problem started a few days ago. I did not have this problem when my GS3 was running Ice Cream Sandwich. Any help/constructive input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

intelliboy

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Same exact issue with 2007 G35 and Jelly Bean 4.1
Here's a conversation I had with Samsung Tech Support:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Roger K'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401931579X
Roger K: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hello Roger
Visitor: Having issues using Bluetooth on my Infiniti G35 after Jelly Bean update.
Roger K: I see that you are having issues connecting with Bluetooth after Jelly bean update on the device, Is that correct?
Visitor: Yes
Visitor: 4.0.4 ICS has no problem
Roger K: I will be happy to help you.
Roger K: Could you confirm the Model number of the device ?
Roger K: Open Settings -- About Phone/ device -- Now you find the model number listed under it.
Visitor: SPH-L710
Roger K: Thank you for the information.
Visitor: Sure
Roger K: To which Bluetooth device are you trying to connect your Galaxy SIII device?
Visitor: Yes, Galaxy SIII to Infiniti G35
Visitor: No problem pairing/connecting
Roger K: When you Turn ON Bluetooth on the device, when you search for nearest Bluetooth devices does your Car kit getting listed on your device?
Visitor: Yes
Visitor: it's pretty much the Call Audio that is an issue here
Roger K: Now when you select it to get connected and perform Phone calls, what happens exactly
Roger K: ?
Visitor: Both incoming and outgoing Call Audio is garbage, people on the other side of the line cannot understand me and vice versa, all I can hear is like a robot voice if you may
Roger K: Ohhh...I am sorry for the experience.
Roger K: Let us try to perform Soft reset on the device and check for the result.
Roger K: Performing Soft reset will refresh the device settings & internal circuitry.
Visitor: What do you mean by Soft reset exactly?
Roger K: Soft reset is just like rebooting an computer.
Visitor: I have tried that many times, but no luck. I even opted to do a Hard reset to no avail
Roger K: Thank you for confirmation.
Visitor: A Nexus with Jelly Bean 4.1 has no problem, just the Galaxy SIII
Roger K: It indicates there might be Bluetooth software incompatibility with your Car kit by connecting your SIII device.
Roger K: As you are able to connect with Nexus with Jelly bean update there might be no issue with Jelly bean update.
Visitor: It's definitely an issue between the Galaxy SIII and Android 4.1
Visitor: Rolling back to 4.0.4 fixes the problem
Roger K: It looks like this scenario is going to need real-time diagnostics for its cause to be fully determined.
Roger K: Since this is the case, it would be best if you get in touch with our Voice support team so that one of our representatives can simulate the Advance troubleshooting steps with you and eliminate possible points of failure.
Roger K: Once you reach our support team, provide them with a gist of the issue and they will proceed further and do the needful to rectify this situation, if required they will guide you to roll back your device Software version.
Visitor: No need, I already went back to 4.0.4 and all is well. I really just wanted to see if you guys are working on a fix of some kind...like maybe a firmware update or something. I checked online forums and there are issues like mine.
Roger K: We in chat support team do not have information about our Engineers working state regarding this issue.
Visitor: And just so you know, I updated once more to Jelly Bean to verify/confirm and the issue came back with the update.
Roger K: Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We will pass this information along to engineering team once again from our end.
Roger K: This type of customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features.
Visitor: Sure...it just sucks because the rest of the Jelly Bean O/S is great.
Roger K: I can understand your concern about it.
Roger K: I appreciate your patience & understanding this issue, which you have already tried with different Phones.
Visitor: Ok...thanks for the help. I will let you help others now since there is nothing we can do at the moment.
Roger K: Do you have any further questions?
Visitor: No, have a good one.
Roger K: If you still have any issues, please get back to us, we will be glad to assist you. We are available 24/7.
Visitor: Good Night/Day.
Roger K: You're welcome.
Roger K: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue ?X close? button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Roger K: Bye!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I tested two different phones with 4.1.1 jelly bean on it. All of them worked on my car (Infiniti G35 S 2007). Although the only factor that wasn't the same was that they weren't s3s (both were Note 2s - Tmb and ATT). No problems whatsoever. I have tmb sending me a new S3 to test and see if its the phone or software. Going to avoid an OTA update and go the way of Kies. I haven't found what the factor is, besides possibly a screw up on their build for the S3s specifically. I think there needs to be enough noise made for this to be fixed fast, although fast is relative in the US with carriers having to okay new pushes. Anyone find a work around by chance?

oube00

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same issue on my 2007 G35X using Samsung S3 JB 4.1.1!! It connects without problems but every time I receive or make a call, it sounds so bad you can't understand anything (sounds like Robot) I thought it was a isolated issue but after doing some research, it seems like it's a common issue!

Anybody has found a fix for this annoying problem ?

Please share.

Cheers

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the issue is still up..I haven't tested it again. I'm going to call Tmo and see if they have an new news. I'm guessing an update will be pushed at somepoint but this is obviously not a massive bug so might not be fast. Have you contacted your carrier and lodged the bug? It'll help.

So far I can't figure if its just the s3 4.1.1 build bug, because I haven't had anyone with the same phone to compare, be it my carrier or others.

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a new Audi S5, my Samsung Galaxy S3 ( with JB update) works seamlessly with the bluetooth in car phone/mic. Several calls while driving I think have been clearer than making them direct from the phone, if thats possible. I also have T-mbl, could it be you were in a bad location, sorry I dont have any sugested workarounds...

Petolean

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Same exact problem but with a 2010 VW Passat. Had no issues a verizon, metropcs and tmo gs3 on ics.
Once upgraded to jb on the tmo gs3 these problems are present.

itzgman

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here, but with a vzw s3 on JB in my 2008 armada
Was working fine on ics with any rom i had that week.
I have noticed similar issues with older phones...moto droid and htc touch pro...

USN_Retired

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I also have an 2007 Infiniti G35X and a Samsung Galaxy S3, the phone worked great in my car when it had ICS on it. Then when I updated it to JB(4.1.1) it sounds like others above have described as a robot sound or something, even when the phone is dialing the noise is the same. I also tried my son`s Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile with JB sounded the same as mine did. Then I tried my wife's My Touch 4G with ICS on it and it worked just fine. So I think it has something to do with the Bluetooth portion of JB on T-MOBILE`s Samsung Galaxy S3. Has anyone received a response from T-MOBILE yet? This really pissed me off, does anybody know how to go back to ICS on a phone that isn`t rooted? Thank you,

yuvia

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and downloaded the update this weekend the exact same issue you described is happening to me. I talk to my family on my way to and from work because we live far away and this is not acceptable.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Rolling back isn't really a possibility in the andriod ecosystem from what I've researched. The only option I've seen is having your carrier exchange your phone for a non upgraded device, which I did, then reupgraded it to see if it was truly an s3 issue - and obviously it was. Have you told your carriers? because beyond getting a replacement device the only real option is rooting or waiting for an update. So the as long as their engineers know hopefully and update will be in the works. Also there is talk that s3 will be getting 4.2 in Q1 2013 so that might solve it too is my guess.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
4.1.2 just got announced for the international S3 - so as my earlier guess probably Q1 for the US if we are lucky - and hopefully that resolves this annoyance.

riz_one

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone - I have the exact same issue with my 2007 G35 and GalaxyS3 since the update. Is the only solution to wait for next update?
Quite frustrating because it worked so well before.

intelliboy

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I successfully rolled back to ICS and the Bluetooth issue went away. Hopefully updating from 4.1 to 4.2 will fix this issue when it's released.

mburt007

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I both have S3 from ATT and just updated to jelly bean. Same problem with my g37 Infiniti, connects fine but garbled speech beyond recognition. Does anyone know how to rollback to ICS

/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow