(HELP)dropped phone in coke, touch screen wont work

mbm123

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
phone fell off arm of couch into a glass filled with coke. dried it out for an hour or two and came on talking about downloading and not to turn it off and then said that firmware error and had to be sorted thru something called kies. turned on and all worked except touchscreen. the buttons below work but not screen. what can i do? do i need to let it dry for longer, can i update phone to work thru pc or something?

thanks

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Your phone has been damaged by water (Coke is a liquid, so that counts as water).

Remove the battery, SIM card and microSD card (if there's one inserted) and put it in a bag of rice, silica gel packets or a Beestie bag.

Take it out after a few days and try it. If it doesn't work, you might have to get a new device.

Also, try to restore the phone's original ROM.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
phone fell off arm of couch into a glass filled with coke. dried it out for an hour or two and came on talking about downloading and not to turn it off and then said that firmware error and had to be sorted thru something called kies. turned on and all worked except touchscreen. the buttons below work but not screen. what can i do? do i need to let it dry for longer, can i update phone to work thru pc or something?

thanks
Take the battery and all cards out of it again and submerge the phone again this time using distilled water for a few hours, you can get a gallon of that at the grocery store for about $1; reason being the soda contains a lot of sticky sugar & acids, after that is done then it's time to blow it out with an air can and then place it for couple of days in a bag of rice or better yet a bag of desiccant.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Take the battery and all cards out of it again and submerge the phone again this time using distilled water for a few hours, you can get a gallon of that at the grocery store for about $1; reason being the soda contains a lot of sticky sugar & acids, after that is done then it's time to blow it out with an air can and then place it for couple of days in a bag of rice or better yet a bag of desiccant.

That works.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would also consider Isopropyl alcohol, cleans electronics and dries extremely fast.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I would also consider Isopropyl alcohol, cleans electronics and dries extremely fast.

Alcohol is a solvent, I wouldn't use a solvent on my phone. Distilled water is best; regular water can leave calcium, lime and other minerals behind when it's dried.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I've successfully cleaned quite a few different electronics with 90% isopropyl alcohol, its also very well known for being used to clean electronics a simple Google search would tell you that. It is however a solvent like mentioned above so it does react to some glues and the rare instance certain plastics. YMMV

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't need google or any other search engine for that matter to tell me what has been working in our shops for decades. Alcohol is a solvent as you apparently learned from google and yes will react to adhesives that are present in phones & many electronics; thus the reason I stated and will state again..........use Distilled Water. and no it's not a rare instance that it can react with plastics, but maybe google thinks so :) Alcohol has weaken, warped etc plastics, there are just way too many kinds of plastics for you to even know the difference.....Again that is why I recommend Distilled Water. There are many cleaners we also use in the shop that are beyond the scope of this post....but for a Home User or Average person I do and always will recommend Safe, Cheap and readily available Distilled Water.

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Lol good for you and your "shop". However I am glad you assume I learn from google. I simply said a Google search would confirm. Your shop successfully uses distilled water just like many others use isopropyl alcohol.

Evelin03

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
its been a few days since it happened to me but all i did was put it in rice. the only thing that is wrong is that the screen is not responding to touch. is it too late to do what you said?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
its been a few days since it happened to me but all i did was put it in rice.
Welcome to the forums!

Your phone also fell into coke/soda?
How long did you leave it in the (hopefully sealed) rice container?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
is it too late to do what you said?
Well, since you'll have to replace the screen assembly anyway, I guess it would be worth a try. If you wanted to be on the safe side, you could dismantle the phone completely (just follow one of those iFixit teardowns) and just soak the screen, leaving all of the other components out. If you see obvious soda residue on other parts you could soak/rinse/swish them until it's gone, then blow dry with the hair dryer (on cool) and then immerse in rice for several days.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Klarissa Marie

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
My phone fell water for less than 5 sec but everything was working fine for few minnutes and the screen just got black but the phone is working perfectly what do i do i have it in a bag of rice