Samsung Galaxy s3 SGH-T999 is stuck on Samsung logo and will not respond to anything!

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I attempted (as a beginner) to restore a galaxy s3 to factory firmware (4.0). I used Odin v3.07.
Here are my problems:

-The phone is stuck on the Samsung Logo screen (with the flashing blue light around logo).
-I cannot go into any mode at all (recovery, download, etc).
-Samsung Kies will not recognize my phone.

So, in conclusion, I need major help. I had to downgrade in order to unlock. Now, I'm really aggravated and do not know what to do.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think 4.2 went to the S3. If you were on 4.3, rolling back to 4.1 will brick the device.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I updated it to 4.2 first.
Then found that I needed to restore it to stock firmware.

How would I go about fixing it? I have Odin and kies.
If you don't mind, could you break it down into steps please?
Thank you lots!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you didn't have 4.1.2 installed? As Golfdriver97 noted, 4.2 never came to the S3.

Anyway, if we assume that you didn't have 4.3 on your phone, and that you don't want it, then you should be using 4.1.2, which you can find http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=14509 (you'll have to register in order to access that download; sorry, the other site that I normally reference no longer posts the 4.1.2 firmware).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
BTW, welcome to the forums!

If you boot the phone into Download mode and the screen looks like this:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

then you don't have the 4.3 bootloader component (if you see a line in there that says 'Warranty Bit' then you do, in which case DO NOT try to load the firmware that I listed).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I believe that was it. Like I said, I'm new. Thank you guys for your help.
I already signed up for sammobile :)
I have everything, just not sure what to do. I have the stock 4.0 downloaded.
Could I use that?

The phone is on the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." screen currently.

Can I fix it with Kies?

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure you didn't have 4.1.2 installed? As Golfdriver97 noted, 4.2 never came to the S3.

Anyway, if we assume that you didn't have 4.3 on your phone, and that you don't want it, then you should be using 4.1.2, which you can find Firmwares | SamMobile | Page 3 (you'll have to register in order to access that download; sorry, the other site that I normally reference no longer posts the 4.1.2 firmware).

Is there way that I can go back to 4.1.1? The whole reason I downgraded was to be able to unlock. I get how to do the unlock, just having trouble with the downgrading. :(

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
BTW, welcome to the forums!

If you boot the phone into Download mode and the screen looks like this:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

then you don't have the 4.3 bootloader component (if you see a line in there that says 'Warranty Bit' then you do, in which case DO NOT try to load the firmware that I listed).

I do have the 'warranty bit'. I just looked.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, then you have/had 4.3, and you'll HAVE TO load the 4.3 stock firmware (lengthy explanation would go here). You can get it from Sammobile.

You can try using Kies - you'll need to be sure you're using Kies v3 (it says that in the title bar), not v2.6. If you want to go the Kies route just select the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) and follow the prompts.

If you want to use Odin just follow the directions in any of the rooting sub-forums, or search online - there's tons of directions that include pictures, etc. Or come back here and I'll give you a summary.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kies summary:
- if you don't already have the Kies software installed on your PC, download it (just search Google - be sure to search for Kies v3) and install it. The first time it runs it'll update itself to the latest version so make sure you run it once before proceeding.
- put your phone in Download mode: with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the Samsung splash screen
- connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable that came with the phone
-- if you've never had the phone connected to your Windows-based computer before, you'll see messages about installing drivers, etc - just wait until this is done (may take 5 or 10 minutes) [I don't know what happens if you have a Mac - it probably just works]
- in the Kies software, select the second item in the Tools menu and just follow the prompts to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI/Serial Number (both found under the battery - it's ok to remove the battery at this point)
- the Kies software should start downloading the correct firmware for your phone from the Internet; once that's done (depending on your Internet connection speed) it'll begin downloading that to the phone (this probably takes 10 minutes or so)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Odin summary (since you have apparently already tried to use Odin to downgrade the firmware you're likely on the right track):
- Put the phone in Download mode
- Be sure to extract the contents if you downloaded a zip file
- Start Odin and select the 'PDA' button and navigate to the file that you downloaded and select it
- Wait a minute or two while Odin parses the file
- Connect the phone and you'll see the COM (?) box change color
- Select Start

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I was able to recover the phone and upgrade it to 4.3 with Kies. It took a while but it just finished. I want to downgrade to 4.1.1 and I pretty much get how to use Odin to do so. I'm currently downloading the 4.1.1 zip file.

If I go from 4.3 to 4.1 will it 'brick' it again?
(I want 4.1.1 so that I can unlock it.)

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You can't go back (complex explanation about bootloaders goes here).

I don't know what 'unlock' ability you're referring to that was in earlier builds. If you're trying to switch carriers, and your account is in good standing, just call them and they're supposed to provide you an unlock code. The FCC is cracking down on that b/s where they refuse to give you an unlock code.

Jamie Bass2

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
t-mobile wants $400 for the unlock code. So I'm going to root. I've heard that will allow unlocking.

Advice, opinions..?

And can you link me to a good tutorial on rooting?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol