Is It Happening To YOU? S3 with Kit Kat DROPPING tethered downloads!!

nightrocket

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Has T-Mobile or Kit Kat programmed a defense against completing PDA/FoxFi/Tethered downloads to discourage use?

I've moved "up" from an LG Optimus L7 with Ice Cream. Downloads more files, faster, and remains connected until download complete. The "advanced" Samsung G3 with Kit Kat will typically lose connection 3/4 of way through. Is this a built in limitation - perhaps to disconnect within specific time frame or download size or time-out from page - to discourage the use of tethering using 3rd party apps?

Hard to imagine an older phone and lower priced model by over $100 would be better than G3. Thoughts? Welcome your feedback. Sometimes newer is NOT better.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Its probably the carrier version of the OS that is limiting the use of FoxFi. Sprint broke it all the time with each update. I think it was intentional. The difference may also have been going from a device that wasn't very popular to one that is.

From a Slim M8 and the AC Forums app.

theman0101

May 25, 2014
Visit site
USB tethering should still work if you are interested. Never actually Wifi tethering but after kit kat, usb tethering went down as well. Think it was just a driver problem.

nightrocket

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It just happened again. It starts downloading fast. 1MB per second. It does this for a couple minutes and then the web connection via PDAnet just drops altogether. Happens rarely with my LG with Ice Cream. What a bloody hassle! So, are we saying the problem is Kit Cat or an intentional move by T-Mobile to discourage and prevent high speed downloading via USB teather?

Starfire-1

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had wifi tethering working on my Nexus 5 / KitKat on T-Mobile prepaid forever and it's been fine until tonight. Something has changed.

T-Mobile's $30 plan is the singular reason I'm on it and the occasion tether is necessary. They may be trying to reserve that for their Share plans. Makes sense from a marketing perspective, but with AT&T/Cricket going to 4G/LTE, they just pushed me big time in that direction.

nightrocket

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had wifi tethering working on my Nexus 5 / KitKat on T-Mobile prepaid forever and it's been fine until tonight. Something has changed.

T-Mobile's $30 plan is the singular reason I'm on it and the occasion tether is necessary. They may be trying to reserve that for their Share plans. Makes sense from a marketing perspective, but with AT&T/Cricket going to 4G/LTE, they just pushed me big time in that direction.

What remains unclear - I'm afraid we haven't heard from enough fellow users to ascertain - is whether there has been a USB tethering restriction implemented. The next question would be 1) Is it a by-product of Kit Kat, 2) Is it a by-product of something T-Mobile has done in their "Total Data Used" monitoring that just cuts things off. No problems with my LG Optimus...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12