Amaze vs Galaxy S II

Paddy Doherty

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've just bought the Amaze (waiting for delivery) but I've own a Desire Z and I love Sense. I got a loan of a SGSII for a few days and didn't like the TouchWid at all! I can't wait to get my Amaze! :)

DSLAM

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Spec for spec they are remarkably similar. Hardware-wise I cant really see how one is better than the other.
For me the big difference is FM radio. The hTC Amaze supports it right out of the box,:cool: the US versions of SGII do not. In fact the GSII may not even have it with some software hack like an app to enable the FM radio because we aren't sure if it is physically there. :(

Software-wise, to me is seems a lot of people dont like TouchWiz very much but Sense is ok. But even here they are both the same because I'm sure both the SGSII and hTC Amaze will be rootable and able to run Cyanogenmod PLUS both of them will get Android 4.0 (ICS) within a few months as the hardware will definitely support that too.

So for me, it really comes down to the FM radio.:cool:

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would you assume ics will be rolled out within a few months? HTC, Samsung, and TMobile have proven that os upgrades are not a priority. I'll bet it takes 9-12 months for them to adapt it to sense/touchwiz and for tmo to push it out. (I'm still waiting for tmo to push gingerbread to my HTC Glacier/MyTouch.)

I don't need an fm radio so I don't care about that feature. I'm more concerned about wifi/hspa+ performance, battery life, build quality, and getting opinions about size/weight.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

DSLAM

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya. Yeah, a few months, like 3, might be optimistic but if you are willing to root then you wouldnt have to wait as long as 9 months, assuming Cyanogenmod is timely. But it will definitly come. Also, the XDA says Amaze 4G has already got a permanent root now.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For build, that's such a personal preference thing that you should really go spend some time at your local T-Mobile store and play with them a bit. For me, I love that the Galaxy was thin AND light, and the Amaze was way too heavy for my liking. But for my boyfriend it's the exact opposite. He felt that it was too light of a phone. I've been loving my Galaxy because in my hand it felt the best and I prefer TouchWiz to Sense 3.0, but you won't really know those sorts of things unless you play with them yourself. Both are great devices, but I've been finding when customers are choosing between the two that it ends up coming down to the form factor and the weight of the phone. It'll be hard to go wrong with either one :)

Ohgeez10

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a TMO rep and have been trying to decide between the two and its been very tough. I've spent hours and hours with both phones testing out cameras, videos, speed test, etc.

In terms of performance, they are both equal. I've done about 50 test, for the browser, going to different sites and there are times the SG2 came out a fraction of a second quicker and times when the Amaze came out on top.

I live in Chicago so we have good data speeds so I averaged 12-15 mbps with both phones.

After spending all that time, I finally ordered my HTC Amaze yesterday.

You really can't go wrong with either phone and its going to come down to personal preference.

I currently own a BB9780, Nokia Astound and Samsung galaxy S4 (which is rooted).

My (personal) reason for getting the HTC is this:

1.) Although a little heavier than the SG2, I like the form factor of the Amaze. Just feels better/natural in the hand.
2.) I know everyone is going to BOOOOO me on this my I like the display on the Amaze a little better. The SG2 "whites" aren't really white.....more like light blue and the over saturation of the colors looks a little kiddish to me......at times.
3.) I dont like TW very much...which is the reason why I rooted my SG4S and changed the launcher. I just like the look and utility of Sense better.
4.) The physical buttons for the camera and video were a BIG plus for me. I take pictures everywhere I go and being able to launch the camera without unlocking the phone is great.
5.) After doing tons of picture/video test, the HTC won me over every time.
6.) The FM radio is nice because I use my phone for music when I work out and I can tune into the TVs at the gym.

There are some other reason but you get the gist of it. Its going to come down to things you want out of a phone.... the most.

I urge anyone who is going shopping to take your time and play with both phones before making a decision. All too often I see customers head straight to the SG2 just because of the display and forget about everything else.

One more note....and this is important. I found the SG2 to lag a little and its not just our demo phone. I've already sold about a dozen of these and noticed it with about 3-4 so far. I had a customer who came in because he added the google search widget and the square frame would not disappear. only after taking the battery out then back in did it go away. I havent noticed one bit of lag from the Amaze yet.

Looking forward to getting my Amaze in a few days and do some more comparison test against my girlfriends Galaxy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSLAM

BobbyPhoenix

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I just came back from the T-Mo store. I was all set on the Amaze. I've been an HTC fan since getting the Nexus One, but after playing with each one for at least 20 min each, I ended up with the GSII. So far I'm loving it. I'm just setting it up now, and when I get it all done, I'll post back some thoughts. I did do a lot of research before buying. From forums here, on XDA, reviews online, to people I know who got either one already, so I know what I was getting into. Talk to you all later....I'm off to play with it.....

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm a TMO rep and have been trying to decide between the two. its been very tough. I've spent hours and hours with both phones testing out cameras, videos, speed test, etc.

In terms of performance, they are both equal. I've done about 50 test for the browser going to different sites and there are times the SG2 came out a fraction of a second quicker and times when the Amaze came out on top.

I live in Chicago so we have good data speeds. I averaged 12-15 mbps with both phones.

After spending all that time, I finally ordered my HTC Amaze yesterday.

You really can't go wrong with either phone and its going to come down to personal preference on some of the features that your looking for.

I currently own a BB9780, Nokia Astound and Samsung galaxy S4 (which is rooted).

My (personal) reason for getting the HTC is this:

1.) Although a little heavier than the SG2, I like the form factor of the Amaze. Just feels better/natural in the hand.
2.) I know everyone is going to BOOOOO me on this my I like the display on the Amaze a little better. The SG2 whites aren't really white.....more like light blue. And the over saturation of the colors looks a little kiddish to me.
3.) I dont like TW very much...which is the reason why I rooted my SG4S and changed the launcher. I just like the look and utility of Sense better.
4.) The physical buttons for the camera and video were a BIG plus for me. I take pictures everywhere I go and being able to launch the camera without unlocking the phone is great.
5.) After doing tons of picture/video test, the HTC won me over every time.
6.) The FM radio is nice because I use my phone for music when I work out and I can tune into the TVs at the gym.

There are some other reason but you get the gist of it. its going to come down to things you want out of a phone the most.

I urge anyone is going shopping to take your time and play with both phones before making a decision. All too often i see customers head straight to the SG2 just because of the display and forget about everything else.

one more note....and this is important. i found the SG2 to lag a little and its not just our demo phone. i've already sold about a dozen of these and noticed it with about 3-4 so far. i had a customer who came in because he added the google search widget and the square frame would not disappear. only after taking the battery out then back in did it go away. I havent noticed one bit of lag from the Amaze yet.

I went to the store too looking at both trying them at same time. I also like the nice whites of the amaze. its a gorgeous phone Engadet came out with a review that was sucks I do not beleave it!, also love the camera button toke some pictures. please let me know how is the call quality if its loud enough compare to the samy. I'm still like to see how the nexus going to perform hope don't have the blueish white screen... than I make my decision. enjoy your amaze

uanitaJ

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
INTRODUCTION:

It seems that every week a new Android superphone is released, and last week was the Surprise HTC and Samsung 4G Galaxy S II launch T-Mobile. These two devices pack star the latest processors, 4G data speed, 8-megapixel cameras and large screens. One is thin and light as a feather, and another unapologetically big and bold. With a large amount of internal memory and a plate of gingerbread that these devices are quite similar on paper. Therefore, the device is suitable for you? Come with us to explore these two phones bestial.

Design:
Thin, bright, spacious and elegant. Samsung has packed the technology in the waif-like Galaxy S II that you can not help but be amazed (no pun intended. ) The super-slim phone is only 9.4 mm however, looks a large 4.5 "WVGA Super AMOLED screen. The 8-megapixel camera on the back and a minimalist all buttons and ports on the vessel ring latest flagship Galaxy. The monotony is only broken black with some dark chrome trim. Being a big phone Galaxy S II feels very natural in their hands, with the door offering a soft enough battery grip and texture . It slips easily into a front pocket, which is not detected until you feel it vibrate.

4G HTC Surprise is the opposite. Surprising as high as the Galaxy S II and narrow few millimeters, but it is more than 2 mm thick and weighs over an ounce and a quarter. A sharp and bright screen and bezel, aluminum false accentuate Surprise 4G highlight. HTC added two by Samsung which includes not only a dedicated camera button, but also a dedicated camera button to 4G surprise. The rounded edges Catch that easy to hold, but wrap your fingers around the bezel too tight and sharp on the screen is cut into them. For as hard as their margins are 4.3 "QHD Super LCD display is easy on the eyes.
mobile user testing

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
INTRODUCTION:

It seems that every week a new Android superphone is released, and last week was the Surprise HTC and Samsung 4G Galaxy S II launch T-Mobile. These two devices pack star the latest processors, 4G data speed, 8-megapixel cameras and large screens. One is thin and light as a feather, and another unapologetically big and bold. With a large amount of internal memory and a plate of gingerbread that these devices are quite similar on paper. Therefore, the device is suitable for you? Come with us to explore these two phones bestial.

Design:
Thin, bright, spacious and elegant. Samsung has packed the technology in the waif-like Galaxy S II that you can not help but be amazed (no pun intended. ) The super-slim phone is only 9.4 mm however, looks a large 4.5 "WVGA Super AMOLED screen. The 8-megapixel camera on the back and a minimalist all buttons and ports on the vessel ring latest flagship Galaxy. The monotony is only broken black with some dark chrome trim. Being a big phone Galaxy S II feels very natural in their hands, with the door offering a soft enough battery grip and texture . It slips easily into a front pocket, which is not detected until you feel it vibrate.

4G HTC Surprise is the opposite. Surprising as high as the Galaxy S II and narrow few millimeters, but it is more than 2 mm thick and weighs over an ounce and a quarter. A sharp and bright screen and bezel, aluminum false accentuate Surprise 4G highlight. HTC added two by Samsung which includes not only a dedicated camera button, but also a dedicated camera button to 4G surprise. The rounded edges Catch that easy to hold, but wrap your fingers around the bezel too tight and sharp on the screen is cut into them. For as hard as their margins are 4.3 "QHD Super LCD display is easy on the eyes.
mobile user testing

Wait, did Yoda write this review?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

BobbyPhoenix

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I just came back from the T-Mo store. I was all set on the Amaze. I've been an HTC fan since getting the Nexus One, but after playing with each one for at least 20 min each, I ended up with the GSII. So far I'm loving it. I'm just setting it up now, and when I get it all done, I'll post back some thoughts. I did do a lot of research before buying. From forums here, on XDA, reviews online, to people I know who got either one already, so I know what I was getting into. Talk to you all later....I'm off to play with it.....

OK well I have to say I'm totally impressed with Samsung. This phone is the best phone I have ever had bar none. Just to confirm it I switched back to my Desire HD today, and played around with it. Wow what a difference. It felt like the stone age. Don't get me wrong. The DHD is a great phone in it's own, but it doesn't hold a candle to the GSII. I also have a co-worker with an Amaze, and I will be 100% honest. I would never have thought I would not care about HTC. The Amaze was my first phone of choice, but the screen light bleed made me take it back. I gave the GSII a run, and I will never look back. Blazing fast. Screen is so much better. I actually like the resolution on it compared to the Amaze. I found myself squinting (at least that's what it felt like) when going from the GSII to the Amaze. The bottom line for me is Samsung won my heart. Bye bye HTC. Maybe sometime again in the future.....

DSLAM

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it is spam or something. That link at the bottom doesnt even work. And is there an hTC "Surprise" phone? I did a quick search but didnt find it.

HTCinPhilly

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
After with playing around with both on multiple occasions, I decided on the Amaze. Since Best Buy no longer carries T-Mo phones, I have to wait for it to get here- hopefully by Friday :mad:.

Anyway, I chose the Amaze because I felt the Galaxy was too thin and fragile feeling. Something that big seems like it should weigh more. I want a solid feeling phone (coming from an EVO 4G) and the Samsung simply felt like a toy.

Secondly, Sense makes more sense than TouchWiz for me. The UI just seemed to juvenile compared to Sense. I actually like stock android on my Bro's G2 better than TW but I'll take Sense over either in a heart beat.

Lastly, I thought the Super AMOLED Plus display was vivid and nice but it looks much better on the Epic 4G and a 4" screen versus a 4.52" version. The icons are HUGE (surprised I never read this in a review) and make the phone feel like it's a toy. The Amaze feels better in hand, has a much nicer UI, sharper graphics (more dpi), lovely consturction, real metal casing and a dedicated camera button so it won me over. Plus, i like the improvements to Sense over the version on my old EVO.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If you ever used a Nexus phone for any length of time you are ruined for the Touchwiz UI.

I got the Galaxy S II , kept it for 2 days and took it back and got the Amaze.

I'm not a fan of the Sense UI either but its tolerable compared to Touchwiz.

I was concerned that I was going to poke my eyes with a fork if I had to
look at Touchwiz for another minute.

Almost identical specs for both phones, it came down to the UI for me.

I couldnt stand Touchwiz.
Not being able to delete the preloaded bookmarks was the last straw.

The Amaze got an OTA within a couple days and battery life improved noticeably.

So yeah after having both......the Amaze wins it for me.

;)

BobbyPhoenix

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If you ever used a Nexus phone for any length of time you are ruined for the Touchwiz UI.

I got the Galaxy S II , kept it for 2 days and took it back and got the Amaze.

I'm not a fan of the Sense UI either but its tolerable compared to Touchwiz.

I was concerned that I was going to poke my eyes with a fork if I had to
look at Touchwiz for another minute.

Almost identical specs for both phones, it came down to the UI for me.

I couldnt stand Touchwiz.
Not being able to delete the preloaded bookmarks was the last straw.

The Amaze got an OTA within a couple days and battery life improved noticeably.

So yeah after having both......the Amaze wins it for me.

;)

You could have just used a launcher, and various apps to get the vanilla look and feel. I did just that. I can't tell the difference between vanilla Gingerbread on my Nexus One, and "my version" of Gingerbread on my SGSII. Touchwiz what? LOL

J240

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Which apps did you use to get it to look like that?

I'm thinking about picking up the Amaze or white SGS2 while I wait for the Nexus. I will have to spend some time with each in store, but I already know I can handle Sense... i'm just not so sure about TW yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair