Google Voice Call settings error: Failed to retrieve and save cur

bram30

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded the Google Voice app (GV) and went through the setup process. I use a personal GV number. Then, I attempted to configure my voicemail to use Google Voice instead of My Carrier and got the error message: "Call settings error: Failed to retrieve and save current forwarding number settings." I clicked to apply the settings anyway but it failed and said to contact my provider if this problem continues. I went back to GV setup and chose "skip" at the voicemail setup screen.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling GV, clearing the data, and rebooting my phone. I am able to manually change my forwarding to GV but my carrier settings will not change. Therefore I cannot use autodail #1 to call my GV.

I have the T-Mobile Classic Plan. I have talked to T-Mobile and they can't figure it out. They said it is a "software" issue so it must be a problem with GV.

Last edited:

lrdiaz

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Google Voice Call settings error: Failed to retrieve and save

Are you prepaid? If so, Google voicemail will not be configurable.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I am having the exact same problem on my HTC Amaze with T-Mobile. I'm not on a pre-paid plan. It seems the problem is I can't change the phone number in the Voicemail settings "settings for my carrier", it shows the T-Mobile number but its greyed out, you can't change it. I can, however, change the numbers for forwarding calls (i.e. forward when busy, forward when unanswered, forwrad when unreachable) and that kinda works except if I dismiss a call on the Amaze the T-Mobile visual voicemail picks it up instead of sending it to GV.

I'm wondering if t-mobile's visual voicemail is part of the problem. I can't seem to turn this off in my account on thier website, it keeps coming back. Bram30, is your phone setup for t-mobile visual voicemail as well?

bram30

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I am not using T-Mobile Visual VM. I wiped my phone and started over. It still does not work.

boonskank

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I FOUND OUT HOW TO FIX IT!!! :DDDD

So here's the scoop. Apparently, HTC has disabled the ability to change the voicemail carrier from the device itself. Probably some ploy to get users to use some other service or app. F That. I buy Android phones for a REASON. Anyways...

Here's the fix. Call T-Mobile support. Explain that you need to have the number changed on THEIR end. Just read them the Google Voice number over the phone and have them test it. And voil?! Hope this helps!

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I FOUND OUT HOW TO FIX IT!!! :DDDD

So here's the scoop. Apparently, HTC has disabled the ability to change the voicemail carrier from the device itself. Probably some ploy to get users to use some other service or app. F That. I buy Android phones for a REASON. Anyways...

Here's the fix. Call T-Mobile support. Explain that you need to have the number changed on THEIR end. Just read them the Google Voice number over the phone and have them test it. And voil?! Hope this helps!

Cool - so you have them change the voicemail carrier number to your Google Voice number; when you do that, will a call go to Google voicemail when you dismiss a call, or does it still ring your other phones first like when you change the forwarding numbers on the Amaze?

Thanks!

TheGuardner

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

If this is a prepaid or pay as you go account, they will not let you use Google voice or change your forwarding number. I use the $2 per day plan and have tried everything but the network blocks all attempts to change the voice mail to another number like google voice or just plain call forwarding. Get the same error message above on the first, and get "Unexpected response from network" on the latter.

T-mobile really needs to allow your customers to have more freedom to do what they want with their phones, after all we are paying you and people like me who are not on contracts can leave at any time which I just might.

jjob

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

I am having the same issue with an LG Nitro HD. I talked to ATT and they said that it is a Google issue. I tried changing the number on the phone for voice mail, but my voice mail continues going to ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel