HTC Sync "mount as disc drive" breaks user 'Sound Sets'

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Unsure if anyone else has done this, but adding the following paths to /mnt/sdcard/[1]will add your own ringtones, alarms, and notifications to available sounds:

/mnt/sdcard/media/audio/alarms/
/mnt/sdcard/media/audio/notifications/
/mnt/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones/

[1] You can do this in /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/ as well.

Adding custom sound sets in 'Personalize' (part of HTC Sense 3.0 I presume), I can assign these custom sounds to events, e.g. ring, default notification, e-mail, message, calendar. But when I mount the phone using HTC Sync mode as "Disc Drive," the mappings are changed to default sounds (T-Jingle for a T-mobile phone), and the sets lose their sound assignments. They aren't restored after disconnection; the sound set still shows the names of the files, but there's no "play" button beside each when you select the sound set, nor do they function.

This is definitely a bug with HTC Sense that the assignments aren't persistent (and valid) after the internal (and external, if used) SD Card storage is remounted. Has anyone encountered this and determined a workaround?

(I've asked HTC to resolve this bug on their own support forums.)

Add'l Information:

Just determined while troubleshooting that only the currently selected custom (user) Sound Set is effected. Those that are not selected/in-use remain valid. (Tested with HTC sync modes Sync, Disk Drive, Charge only.) Nope, found that another set was jostled. Next test: set Sound set to the default, built-in 'HTC default" and then mount as USB drive.

Last edited:

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same issue... Mine has done it when just being restarted too... Never happened on any of my other htc sense phones? :-\

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
On further testing, I've noticed that the mappings (seen in the main "Personalize" screen) are set to "T-Jingle" the default which seems to be in ROM ... unfortunately, and the default notification sound ("Light"? I forget) is played if I get a notification while connected and USB connection type is set to "Mount Drive." But ... if I do nothing with the sound assignments, or Sound set, if I unmount and then go back into the Sound Set the mappings are restored and functional (as demonstrated by the "play" button next to each event mapping when you click a Sound Set.

Trying the restart now.... YES, after restart, the sound sets' assignments are correct (though the custom set showed "Quietly Brilliant" for the Ringtone, "Alpha," "Little," "Epsilon," "Vector" for Notification sounds, "Light" for Alarm). ... If I click the sound set, the custom sounds' names are there, just no little "Play" buttons next to each event sound. If I select a custom set, and Apply, "T-Jingle is set for all the event sounds, though clicking the Sound set again shows my custom assignment. (Anyone getting confused yet? It helps if you spend 1-2 hours going back and forth and back and forth ... ad nauseam, testing this.) Selecting a default HTC Sound set (with internal /system/media/audio/ sounds) before the restart makes no difference. Probably a bug with HTC Sense (if the Personalize stuff belongs to that) reading it's customizations before /sd_card/ is mounted and ready. :p

Just for farts 'n giggles, after a restart and confirming this anomaly, I connected my phone to a PC, set USB connection type to "Mount as disk drive" (forcing an umount of the /sd_card/ ) then switched it to "Charge only." The familiar popups appeared, "Preparing phone storage" and "Preparing SD drive." Gueeeeeess what?! The custom Sound sets were now intact and working. There's your workaround, Knightrider Knightstalker.

Q: on your other HTC Sense phones, could a USB connection mount the internal /sd_card/ filesystem (taking it out of use of the phone)?

Last edited:

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks.... i'm gonna have to mess around with mine...

A: I think that's part of the problem... i had a sensation/mytouch4g/mytouch4gslide and they all used the external sd without issue... but they didn't have an internal memory like the amaze... which prefers the internal memory it seems... maybe i'll just move all my ringtones to the internal memory and try it...

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
thanks.... i'm gonna have to mess around with mine...

A: I think that's part of the problem... i had a sensation/mytouch4g/mytouch4gslide and they all used the external sd without issue... but they didn't have an internal memory like the amaze... which prefers the internal memory it seems... maybe i'll just move all my ringtones to the internal memory and try it...

Mine are all on /mnt/sdcard/ already. I thought of putting them on the external, but don't know if that would cause issues. Since the "internal" is used for so many things already, I'm going with that until I decide if I like having a faster 4GB /sdcard2 or slower 32GB card.

I haven't tried it, but I'd be willing to bet that if you download new sound sets from HTC, you'd have the same problem, as they're no doubt written to the internal user storage space (/mnt/sdcard/)

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I moved them all to the external card (/sdcard2/ or /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/ ) and remounting it from Settings works fine.

Except ... if I make changes to the disk (copy files to a new one) or update the files with an MP3 manager, the Sound assignments go all haywire. I've got the wrong sounds come from some of the sound titles. HTC Sense must use some screwy mapping algo.

Last edited:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
This started happening to me just recently. Was there a sense update recently? I don't wake up to slow songs from my library, which is why I have loud songs as my alarm... And why I've gotten to work late all week. Annoying

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Was there a Sense update ... like, maybe the ICS + Sense 3.6 update?

My solution was to put sounds on the microSD, and not -- repeat, not -- defrag it. Seems Sense 3.0 kept track of sounds by their block location. But with AirDroid and other ways to transfer files, I don't connect via USB much anymore, just to put videos on the internal memory (/mnt/sdcard/). If Sound Sets are still borked, just restart. That usually fixes all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech