Power Shut down issues

cjmclean2001

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had a horrible time with my Amaze shutting itself off. Phone constantly powers itself down. I exchanged the phone for another one. I exchanged the battery twice. I followed the note about how to factory reset the phone, installed the memory clear application, and updated all of the built in software, but installed no new apps. There is no SD card in it. Yet it still powers down constantly and is unusable.

This phone has been like this for 10 months. I paid about $300 for it, and have paid a ~$73 dollars a month for service. That is over a thousand dollars for something functionally equivalent to a paperweight!

This week alone I have called twice to T-mobile and once to HTC. I have been shuffled around and blown off by 7 different people! All they offer is another of the same buggy, defective model I've already suffered with for 10 months! They are surprised when I ask for something different. Then they tell me they can do me a great favor by allowing me to buy another phone with a slight discount! They sold me a lemon, so now I should pay through the nose for a new phone?

The Amaze is a garbage product, nice while working properly, but rarely working, which is not entirely T-mobile's fault. But treating a 7 year customer like garbage is their fault. Taking over a thousand dollars of someone's money and giving them not only nothing, but nothing and a hard time about it is their fault. At this point I'd prefer to have the money I paid for my phone refunded and to be let out of my contract.

How many other people have seen this issue, and is there a confirmed fix for it? Unless HTC and T-mobile know what is wrong and how to fix it, I don't want another of these.

jarochon

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi I know your pain I'm on my 5 amaze I have been with T-Mobile for 10 years, after I call my attorney T-Mobile was super nice, he told me that since T-Mobile sell the phone he is responsable for the Amaze nightmare check the fine print on your contract it says that you have the right to a phone that has the same specs, if you don't have an attorney get your contract and read it to the T-Mobile rep, if he does not honor that ask for retention dep, and read it to them by law they have to give you what they promise, good luck and sorry about my English I'm working on it .

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Android Central Forums

TekNiKal

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I've been using my Amaze for 3 weeks. This is very annoying. I was getting ready to call T-Mobile but thought I would look on a forum for help first.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This has started happening to me with startling regularity. Changed the battery earlier this week (swapping Anker 1900mAh for the HTC 1700mAh), still happening.

Because it increased so suddenly, I'm wondering if it was induced by a software change. Nothing in System Panel Pro indicates an app that's misbehaving. I may master reset (yet again) to see if is indeed installed software doing it.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Boy, do I hate it when my troubleshooting determines that not only is my hypothesis wrong (particularly if said theory is, "Hey, I've got that problem too!"), but leads my suspicions in a new direction. I dislike confusing threads like this with my own observed symptoms.

[ It hasn't helped that I determined that, for reasons I can't explain, the Anker 1900mAh battery I bought this week loses power if I tap the phone or jostle the phone. Happens anytime, even at the initial HTC boot screen (indicating it's not the OS). So much for using a bigger, better battery. (And if I return the phone for another model, I won't need extra batteries.) ]

My phone shut down a few times again Saturday (yesterday). In the morning, while it hadn't even been moved or jostled. My daughter woke me, I touched the phone, to see the weather alert, then showered and shaved, and came back to unplug my phone, it had shut down. Later in the evening when we returned from Cirque du Soleil, sometime between garaging the car and setting the phone down, it had shut down, and I didn't discover this until over an hour later.

System Panel (purchased version) indicated very few apps and services were active during these occasions. Swiftkey 3 (updated August 15) was one, Clock Widget another. Battery Monitor Pro and System Panel, of course. I tried rolling Swiftkey back to a previous release, but it auto-updated itself again. Since I'm now considering asking T-mobile to replace it with another model, and haven't done a factory reset since the ICS update (something T-Mo tech support would certainly ask me to do first), I wiped data and factory reset it.

=> 14 hours later, with just a few apps installed to keep me in business, it's run without incident, no mystery shutdowns. Observation and record-keeping is ongoing.... :-\

Reactions: jarochon

jeff275

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem too. First they replaced the battery (even though it seemed pretty obvious it wasn't the battery) then they replaced the phone. I was lied to by the first rep I talked to who told me she was entering a note that they would not count two warranty incidents against me and also they would refund my money if I sent the battery back. When I called back to find out that note had not been answered I got a pretty horrible rep and was finally transferred to a "supervisor" after they kept trying to make excuses why they couldn't transfer me. We'll see if she actually credited me. On the bright side so far my phone is working better and a few things have been fixed, for example for the first time since I've owned my Amaze the email notification disappears if I read the Gmail email on my desktop browser. Other new things are happening too, though like the calendar flashing the light no matter how I have the alert set.

Reactions: jarochon

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
.... => 14 hours later, with just a few apps installed to keep me in business, it's run without incident, no mystery shutdowns. Observation and record-keeping is ongoing.... :-\

Update: By the end of the end of the week, I hadn't had another shut down. Installed SwiftKey X and tried a replacement Anker battery and had one incident. Now I have to determine if it's the keyboard or the third party battery.

// Sent using the Android Central app //

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It happened several times after installing Wifi Analyzer, then stopped when I un installed. Same again when I installed another Wifi utility. I have a bunch it's related to HTC's buggy Wifi driver that they substituted in ICS.

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

TopDogZero

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I don't have any WIFI utility installed only HTC quick toggle WIFI widget. Come to think of it shutdowns happen to me at work when I have WIFI off, but don't happen at home and I put WIFI on as soon as I get in, could it be? I'll leave WIFI on when I go to work tomorrow and see what happens, will post back.

TopDogZero

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
No go went down a couple times today. One thing I notice,it never happens when the phone is plunged in leading me to believe it's some thing to do with the battery.
I already ordered a extra battery some days ago for a backup, so I'll leave feedback when it arrives.

happydog52

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem since I got my phone about 4 months ago. Haven't been able to associate the shutdown with any specific action or circumstance. It happens most often when using the camera but also when swiping the lock screen or even in my pocket. Very annoying is the fact that sometimes it takes 2 - 3 restarts before it becomes stable.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Suddenly happened to me three times today. Almost threw my phone against our office Window. This is unreal.

// Posted from my Nexus 7 with the Android Central app :) //

allisonnb

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My dad, brother and I all have the HTC Amaze and we were all having the same problem. We figured out that the cases were easily warped and couldnt properly hold the battery in place. Try putting a spacer like some electrical tape on the inside of the case to help keep it in place. Also, keeping the phone in tight places like pants pockets will further warp the case so be prepared to put in multiple layers of the electrical tape.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Based on posts elsewhere, I put 3 slips of 3"x5" Post-its on the battery, against the back. It's helped a little, but....

I've found a near-guaranteed way to cause a power-off is to rub the phone's screen against my shirt, or in my pocket. It seems that a warm, fabric contact close to the body does something to the screen (even when OFF and LOCKED) that causes a sudden loss of power. Please try it on yours and let me know if it does it as well.

KurdishFL

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey!
Trust me, you're not alone in this... I have HTC AMAZE & I am having so much trouble with it..
everyday is something new.. either power botten not working properly, or the manu tap.. keep tapping sometimes there is nothing, no movement...after 10 months i get this horrible sign of "System update is ready," and my first HTC gave me the same problem, didn't know what the heck it meant but i thought it would be a good thing to update my phone. So then, i did what it told me to & just started to update and shut down and it would never turn back on. I thought I didn't know anything about it.. so I was out of state at the time of course, so i had to call costumer service and they couldn't do anything either, thank god i had warranty that time so they had to send me another one if my phone had no scratch or anything.. WTH is Warranty for if it did have a scratch or so?... I paid for this crappy HTC AMAZE $600 it hasn't been there for so long.. I am so pissed.. whoever created, designed this HTC thing I hope they get the same PAIN the *** because they did horrible JOB at it! yeah when it's working well, it's amazing but it like working perfect for one day & 10 days it's working horribly! Whatever! This HTC amaze I got from my warranty after another 10months it just started to give me the same issue I had before so i am gonna let my phone provider fix this crappy issue & let them handle it for telling me it's such a GREAT PHONE! its like every 10 month you need to know your phone will SHUT DOWN & never turn back on! Obviously they're asking you to either keep getting warranty or get another crappy phone like HTC! I think am going for iphone 5 iif this shuts off again by my phone provider..

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My phone finally stopped charging, wouldn't turn on. After warranty replacement, I got a unit that htc says was made in April 2012, no power issues, doesn't turn off when i rub the screen. No longer my daily driver so I can play / learn on it.

But I'll never buy anything made by htc again.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol