Amaze can hardly beam at all ... ICS? HTC software? HTC hardware?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought that the inability to beam from my Amaze to my Nexus 7 was a problem with the beam technology ... it seems to take a half a dozen attempts to send something (either way), and a lot of data types just refuse to transfer at all (images, for instance).

I bought my daughter an N7 for Christmas, and after configuring it and installing a couple of apps, I tried beaming between the two Nexus 7s. BAM. Every time, it worked. Transferred images, URLs, Paper Camera sent settings. Images in particular, transferred quietly while both sat a foot apart. A friend did this with SGS3s and noticed that once connection is made, the devices switch to WiFi direct. He and a colleague transferred a few gigabytes in 14 mins or so.

So I can only surmise the Amaze, or the software that HTC has applied over Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), is faulty. Or ... ICS' beaming is crappy (the Nexus tables run Jelly Bean).

Anyone else have anecdotes or experiences to share re: beaming?

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Android Beam uses Bluetooth. s Beam uses WiFi Direct and transfers only between on divice model. Not sure what your issue is, but Sense 3.6 is quite buggy so your conclusion may very well be correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Android Beam uses Bluetooth. s Beam uses WiFi Direct and transfers only between on divice model. Not sure what your issue is, but Sense 3.6 is quite buggy so your conclusion may very well be correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I believe S-beam is the Samsung convention. Android beam is what the Nexus 7 manual calls it (pp. 59-61)(available free in Play Books).

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah sbeam has several advances over stock android beam, because samsung wont share their secrets with anyone else. As for the beaming problems its probably more hardware related since the amaze is kinda old now, the nfc chip is probably outdated.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah sbeam has several advances over stock android beam, because samsung wont share their secrets with anyone else. As for the beaming problems its probably more hardware related since the amaze is kinda old now, the nfc chip is probably outdated.

12 months is old and outdated?! :what:

Samsung may have apps that do more with NFC beaming. Are any Samsungs running JB [edit] (besides Galaxy Nexus)?

Last edited:

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I would chalk it up to HTC since a few features on the stock ROM dont work for people. I'm running Cyanogenmod 10 and Android Beam works just fine.