Making the switch from Sprint

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
For a ton of reasons I will be switching from Sprint to Tmo this weekend. I will be bringing over 4 lines, 2 of them under contract, so I'll be paying ETFs on the two. No worries, in the long run, I still save (did the maths on this one). A couple of questions:

1- Any way to get Tmo to assist with ETF fees?
2- Any discounts available to monthly charges for Tmo? AAA perhaps?
3- Is the Plain Vanilla version of the One available on Tmo?
4- Anything else you guys think I should be aware of?

Location is Southeast Florida (Miami/Ft Laud area) and also Orlando. Assuming coverage won't be a problem.

Thanks all

mikepas

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
For a ton of reasons I will be switching from Sprint to Tmo this weekend. I will be bringing over 4 lines, 2 of them under contract, so I'll be paying ETFs on the two. No worries, in the long run, I still save (did the maths on this one). A couple of questions:

1- Any way to get Tmo to assist with ETF fees?
2- Any discounts available to monthly charges for Tmo? AAA perhaps?
3- Is the Plain Vanilla version of the One available on Tmo?
4- Anything else you guys think I should be aware of?

Location is Southeast Florida (Miami/Ft Laud area) and also Orlando. Assuming coverage won't be a problem.

Thanks all

1- It never hurts to ask but don't get your hopes up.
2- When I signed up for T-Mobile last month they asked about stuff like that (employer, etc) so they do exist so ask the sales person when they are signing you up.
3- While you can order the HTC One Google Play Edition from Google you cannot get it from T-Mobile. Further, the Google Play Edition does not support the AWS bands that T-Mobile uses for HSPA+ 42 so your non-LTE speeds would take a hit.
4- When I was in the T-Mobile store last month switching to them it was perhaps one of the most pleasant experiences I've had from a cellular provider. Also, if you like to upgrade on a more regular basis than every two years take a look at their JUMP plan details. You get device insurance AND you can upgrade at new customer prices twice a year (you're still paying for the full-price but the down payment structure stays the same and your outstanding debt on the phone is negated). I also asked about if I paid off my phone early if I could then do the down payment thing again and the agent said I could. Once the phone is paid off they'll also provide an unlock code if you wanted to either take the device to another provider OR sell it as an unlocked device to help fund the next phone upgrade.

Greenghost500

Banned
Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The Google play edition does support hspa+ on t-mobile. Only if you are in a refamed market. It supports hspa+ on 1900 which att and the refarmed t-mobile hspa+ is using.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

antheauxny

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Good choice. I made the switch from Sprint to T-Mobile & couldn't be any happier.
I don't think they'll assist you in paying for the Sprint ETF's though. Porting numbers over is easy though. All they need is your account number from Sprint and your numbers will be ported in a few hours (I started getting texts and calls about 3 hours after my number was ported).

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
made the switch. really glad i did. the only thing that sucks is that my new HTC One is nowhere as good as the Sprint One that i had. the screen has a yellowish tint, and the vibrate is very weak. the store opened a second box for me, same issue. the manager had an older One, and he compared his. his was better too. looks like the latest batch kinda sucks. he felt bad, so he said he'll take care of me when i port over my other 3 lines.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
made the switch. really glad i did. the only thing that sucks is that my new HTC One is nowhere as good as the Sprint One that i had. the screen has a yellowish tint, and the vibrate is very weak. the store opened a second box for me, same issue. the manager had an older One, and he compared his. his was better too. looks like the latest batch kinda sucks. he felt bad, so he said he'll take care of me when i port over my other 3 lines.

This is a defect.. I'd either use your warranty or back there later for another replacement.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
it's not a defect. they use different components in different batches. they have 3 different screen vendors, and i'd assume the same goes for the vibrate. i tried 2 devices in 2 different stores with the same results.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
it's not a defect. they use different components in different batches. they have 3 different screen vendors, and i'd assume the same goes for the vibrate. i tried 2 devices in 2 different stores with the same results.

+1, to save costs, the manufacturers use different vendors for their hardware. And the hardware in your device depends on which batch the phone came from. Usually the first batch of a device is a test run for it. They look for problems with it in the real world environment, and correct it in later batches.

The same goes for computer hardware as well, you can tell if your hardware is from a different vendor/batch based on its revision number. Some apps will tell you them (particularly the number for the processor).

Its generally a good idea to not buy a device when it first comes out, no matter the manufacturer. You should wait a few weeks, for a later batch to come out, that way some of the hardware flaws have a chance to be fixed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

lldsandsll

May 17, 2010
Visit site
seems like HTC did the opposite here. they put out a phenomenal device (perhaps built up some hype) and from here on out are using cheaper components.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So your telling me issues with the screen and vibrate isn't a defect? Odd.. What would be a defect to you then? I can tell you what you have isn't the normal.. I guarantee of you find people talking about it online they swapped.. Why? Because HTC didn't advertise saying get your yellow screens and weak vibrate here!

Also not trying to be rude your logic just doesn't click with me. I had the HTC One with Sprint before and 2 and a half weeks ago switched to T-mobile and bought one from them and I do not have these issues.. So I am pretty much like you with getting a new phone recently from HTC (technically).

The stores in your area may have a bad batch but I can tell you it's not normal.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow dsands... I had almost the exact same experience as you, right down to the screen on my T-Mobile One being yellowish compared to my Sprint One. They even compared it to their floor model and it was more white than mine. But they were unwilling to open up another one. So I have just dealt with it and its okay until I look at my sprint one. I am also in the South Florida area.

Posted via Android Central App

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yellowish tint? I have an the One from ATT two months ago, and it looks perfect; and a few friends with Tmobile Ones, no issues like that.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and I have to admit that I like it so far. If I'm going to have the Galaxy Note 3 I need to have unlimited data, And T-Mobile was the best option for that.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and I have to admit that I like it so far. If I'm going to have the Galaxy Note 3 I need to have unlimited data, And T-Mobile was the best option for that.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

I just switched to the Note 3 as well :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith