So I am going to Paris and Iceland in November/December and am planning to take advantage of T-Mobile's new global data roaming policy and perhaps even buy the 200MB higher speed data bucket at $25 to use for the week in Paris while I am on the go (Reykjavik is small enough and I already know it enough where I don't think I need extra MBs outside of wifi). But I am forgetting what data bands on my version of the One are compatible with French carriers - IOW, will I be able to get 3g or even 4g speeds on my One in Paris if I buy the 200MBs?
    10-14-2013 02:23 PM
    I just went to Paris, but I bought a Lebara SIM card when I was there. I didn't buy data, but it did have that option.

Cost me $3 to unlock my phone on eBay.

You can get SIM card recharges in 5 euro increments, and they have a specialty of 50% free bonus. On top of that, rates domestic or to the US were only 0.05 eurocent per minute, with a 0.15 eurocent connection fee. Calls and texts to other Lebara SIMS were free.

I think their data package was pretty cheap too, like $5 for 100MB or something. You should go on their website: SIM Card |Prepaid Card | International Calls | Lebara Mobile

As far as Iceland goes, I'd assume you can do the same there.

Edit, just visited the site, it's 4.90 euro per 250MB, but that appears to be 3G. However, there was free WIFI in many places throughout France, especially in Paris.
    10-16-2013 12:25 PM
    Well the convenience of the new T-Mobile scheme is worth the small extra cost if I was going to upgrade the data. Plus I've been burned on the unlocking thing before. I'm only in Iceland two days this time, so it's not worth it for me to set anything up there.

Anyway, whether I do the T-Mobile roaming or unlock with a local sim, my question still remains if the T-Mobile One has the bands to get HSPA (+) data speeds in Paris fairly widely.
    10-16-2013 12:56 PM
    i couldn't tell you whether or not it does, i wasn't able to test. i was simply offering another convenient, and far more cost effective solution. i'm not sure how you'd get burned unlocking, but i can give you the eBayer i used. he comes highly recommended in all forums, and i was able to unlock my phone within 30 minutes of purchase for like $2 or $3. though i didn't have mobile data when i was abroad, i rarely missed it. free wifi is far more common in europe than the US. you're almost never without it. however, for the prices offered by lebara, you could be completely covered, at least with 3G when you aren't covered by wifi. given that 3G on t-mo is equal to 4G HSPA (non LTE), then i would assume that you will be covered.

side note, seems like you're going on vacation. hopefully your quest to remain connected won't prevent you from enjoying your travels.
    10-17-2013 09:49 AM
    10-17-2013 04:25 PM