Google Maps Cache 1.7GB...Why So HIgh?

touchthatpad106

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am happy HTC choose to go with 32GB for the One, but does anyone know why the cache is so high for Maps? What is it doing for me and if I were to clear it what would I loose? I have never seen any app cache that high and I am starting to get a little low on storage on my phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am happy HTC choose to go with 32GB for the One, but does anyone know why the cache is so high for Maps? What is it doing for me and if I were to clear it what would I loose? I have never seen any app cache that high and I am starting to get a little low on storage on my phone.
Is the cache that high or is the app itself taking that much storage?
If it's cache, it's probably cached up maps for offline use. Maybe you set that up? Anyway, if you clear it that's probably all you'll lose

touchthatpad106

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I will probably just delete it and see what happens. I'm not seeing the benefits in having the cache right now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Clearing the cache is always a reasonable step to free up some storage space. Remember, though, that the cache will just start building up again with normal usage.

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You can leave cache alone, as it is safe and manages itself. Cache is a temporary storage for your phone to access everytime you open an app, that is stored there for future use. So, if you use maps, for example, your phone will find your location. Then you tell it where you want to go. Then go from there, and so on. Your phone will store your Maps cache (ie: your location, City, etc) for next time it's used.
This is so that your phone doesn't have to work as hard to power up the app, start up a location search, etc. The app cache remains at a standstill till you use the app again. Also note, that your phone will remove any files that aren't being used automatically. This is so that it can make room for other programs.
Clearing out cache just make your phone have to work harder, drain your battery more, and make you wait longer to open/use an app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85