T-Mobile HTC One: HSPA+ or LTE effects on battery life

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
In my area, I have decent LTE coverage as well as very good HSPA+ coverage. Has anyone compared battery life of the HTC One when using either HSPA+ versus LTE? Since I've clocked the HSPA+ at nearly equivalent download speeds to the LTE here, it really just comes down to which one is less of a battery hog.

Just wanted to know if anyone experimented with this yet.....

Last edited by a moderator:

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: HSPA+ or LTE effects on battery life

Interesting question. I think it would be hard to determine simply because battery life seems to be affected by the version of Android/Sense you're running.

Example, when I first got my One running 4.1.2/5 there was no LTE in my area. Battery life on HSPA+42 was so so. By the time I got 4.3/5, I had solid LTE so I didn't test HSPA+ with the new software version. Now that I've received 4.4.2/5.5, my battery life on LTE is superior to that of the original software/network despite my phone being almost a year old.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
In my area, I have decent LTE coverage as well as very good HSPA+ coverage. Has anyone compared battery life of the HTC One when using either HSPA+ versus LTE? Since I've clocked the HSPA+ at nearly equivalent download speeds to the LTE here, it really just comes down to which one is less of a battery hog.

Just wanted to know if anyone experimented with this yet.....

Browsing on LTE will likely drain the battery faster than H+. If the speeds are comparable, I'd use that instead of LTE.
I haven't noticed a difference in battery life while idle though, and I get 4/4 bars on H+ and varies from 2-4/4 bars when on LTE

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I get 20mb down on HSPA+ and 35mb down on LTE. I noticed HSPA+ is better on the battery. I have the HTC ONE and iPhone 5S, both better battery on HSPA+.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk