My Sensation 4G Gets Unbelievably Hot, 110F+

Ohmwrecker

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile is currently in the process of sending me a replacement phone, but I want to give people a heads up here. I've seen some posts scattered about the internet with complaints that the Sensation 4G gets hot. In my own experience after using the phone with a game or other heavy activity I'm typically getting a battery sensor temperature of 110-112F. According to data I've read on skin burns, exposing yourself to temperatures of 110+ for hours can result in actual flesh burns.

When I called T-Mobile they suggested that I pull the back cover off to examine the battery, and I found something very interesting. The battery wasn't actually what was causing the extreme heat I was feeling, it was actually something right behind the MicroSD card. I'm guessing it's the Qualcomm dual-core CPU. My MicroSD card slot was so hot that my brain automatically caused my hand to go flying off of it when I touched it. I have no way to check the temperature at the moment, but it was way beyond 112F that my battery was reporting.

Typically i've seen people blame the battery, but I think it'd be interesting if more people pulled their cover and checked where the heat is coming from. The battery is more of a center / top position, but the heat comes from the bottom half. The CPU obviously has no way to vent its heat like computers do with heatsinks and fans, but even with that considered I find it very strange if temperatures perhaps even as high as 140-150F would be within spec.

Anyone have a temperature probe and heat problems that could check the microSD slot temp after gaming for 10-15mins?

shirokuro

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing a similar phenomenon. My sensation is completely cool whilst charging, or idle, but if I pick it up and start using it, its noticeably warm after a little as a couple of minutes. After a few minutes, the temperature is between 105-110F and its uncomfortable to hold - not burning, just uncomfortable. Battery seems to drain very quickly when even just browsing or checking Twitter etc. Today I used it as a GPS for about 40 minutes on a car journey home. When I got home, the temp read 125F and I had actually lost a couple percent battery, despite the fact it was charging all the way home. Admittedly, it was a very sunny day, and the phone was on the dashboard. I'm going to ask tmobile for a replacement I think. I can't imagine the phone is supposed to behave like this. Incidentally, I'm using "batterylife" widget from the marketplace for temp and battery readings.

fury556

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I used it as a GPS for about 40 minutes on a car journey home. When I got home, the temp read 125F

Mine does the same exact thing except it was sitting on my passenger seat and it was very cold in my car. I can't believe how hot this phone gets. It can't be good for the phone and I am wondering if there is a solution to this.

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The Snapdragon CPU should be good for 115-118 F easy...I see regular reports of 110-113 F CPU temps (not battery temps; it seems the CPU is typically between 2 and 5 degrees warmer than the battery temp).

The other thing to remember is that with most other phones, the battery case is plastic. In our case, the battery cover is metal. Plastic isn't going to conduct heat very well, so all-plastic phones won't feel as hot to the touch - which also means that all of that heat is staying inside the phone.

To some degree, depending on the way your phone is being held or cradled, this should act as a passive heat sink to draw some heat away from the device - and as some have noticed, into your hand. ;) But this, theoretically, should be better for the CPU.

PS, do not keep your phone in direct sunlight, especially while driving! If you have a cradle that hooks to your A/C vent, keep that vent open and it will bring the temps WAY down on your phone. I actually added a little "sun shield" on top of my car cradle so the heat coming through the glass doesn't bake my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude