Help removing continuously downloading file from status bar

ypango

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm on kitkat and now getting the same problem. The problem I have is not as generalised as what you're described above; it's isolated to one app. When I launch Citymapper, 2 to 6 items are "downloading". I've contacted their support and they said it's trying to download extra train maps. This used to work fine until the last month. Now that I've done a bit of reading, my suspicions are more concrete... I think it's the download manager failing.

I've tried the above and it hasn't worked. To sum up what I've tried:
Reinstalled citymapper
Uninstall citymapper and deleted the data folders before reinstalling.
Cleared cache and data for download and download manager.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

FYI I'm on Omnirom and I just installed the same rom on a friends phone and that worked perfectly.

LDaveS

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

Can I maybe offer some assistance on this? I'm actually an i-phone and PC man (sorry for swearing like that), but my wife's HTC android had the same problem, and seeing as how I have a very extensive digital background I waded into her problem, and may be able to shed some better light on it. Firstly, the cure of forcing off the Download Manager does work -- for awhile. But it looks like that is curing the symptoms and not the disease. The Download Manager is highly likely to be needed in other system functions, such as legitimate app upgrades, system upgrades, and perhaps even routine internet functions like pulling in various media files. As soon as it is turned back on (which I did by a simple power shutdown and restart) then the problem is back with us.

It's telling that she was getting a persistent crash report dialog regarding "android.process.media" (which she had been just ignoring and dismissing for some time) and that her wifi access happened to be switched off. As well, the o/s had a system upgrade "queued up" but "paused", reportedly due to the wifi being switched off. Turning wifi back on eliminated the two download notifications (one pertaining to the unexplained problem and the other identifying itself as the paused system upgrade), but a check of the actual system upgrade in Settings > About >.. showed that 0% of the 177 MB upgrade was actually getting downloaded. Concurrent with that were periodic repetitions of the error report dialog. Checking into that dialog in detail showed it was an o/s crash related to an "out of memory" error.

Putting all this together, I submit, that in my wife's case at least, the large number of apps and data she has saved in her phone over the year are straining the system's memory resources, and that is the real root cause of her troubles. Downloads in just about any platform tend to use part of system memory as a buffer, in the process of pipelining the data to its final file locations. If the system is running out of memory during an upgrade attempt that would explain both the frequent error report dialogs and the indicated total failure of any actual upgrade download. Even though the dialog indicates "0%" that doesn't mean the system hasn't buffered in a lot of MB and is trying to stash it properly. Storage success messages are usually indicative of totally completed actions, not unsuccessful one in progress.

The interactions of the download notification on the main screen (we PC dinosaurs would call it a "desktop") and the buffer management in the o/s, plus the variables of wi-fi versus cell network mediated data download are likely complex and unpredictable, which would explain how the most obvious symptom (that download notification icon) comes and goes as access methods are turned on and off. (Even just tapping on Tips and Help app in the settings > apps path also killed it for awhile). So again, just turning off the download manager is likely just clearing the most obvious symptom and not fixing the actual problem.

I saw a lot of these reports in several forums. If anyone reading this sees similar detailed other symptoms as were found in my wife's unit, then it looks like maybe your system storage is a bit overloaded. I'm not sure how RAM and permanent storage divide up in modern cell phones: although both are entirely solid state, I'd guess they would still be different basic formats, since flash is still at the speed of a typical modern hard disk or slower (I believe) whereas today's apps obviously demand the fastest possible RAM. That would mean that, GBs of permanent storage notwithstanding, a big buffering job might still challenge a very busy cell platform, especially if data compression is in use, since then it becomes much more difficult to pipeline in and out simultaneously. Having gotten that far with it, I decided it was likely a job for her local HTC dealer (who will no doubt sell her a better phone anyway). Hope this may be helpful to someone, and my apologies to anyone technically expert if I have inadvertently made any appallingly incorrect assertions. Just a newbie amateur here, with some points that hopefully might shed more light on things. Cheers. DS

starlight1022

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded a few pictures from my gmail (from a known sender, a good friend) but one of the items never successfully downloaded and I can't figure out how to cancel the download or clear it from my status bar. The little "down arrow" is constantly showing in the status bar, I can't clear it and I can't figure out how to force close it. I have also cleared the cache of my gmail, and turned off the phone and removed the battery. Every time I turn it back on, that icon is still there and it looks like it is attempting to download, but never finishes.
:eek:
thanks for any suggestions.
starlight1022

Had the same problem for days I couldn't figure it out I downloaded pics from my browser and they kept saying unsuccessful with the arrows I disabled the browser then restarted my phone maybe if u disable and re link your email

ARC_BODACIOUS

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I figured it out on my Nvidia Shield Tablet K1. Go to SETTINGS, then go to APPS, then look for CHROME...press FORCE STOP and also DISABLE. Wait a few seconds then press ENABLE. That's all folks!

Melissa Raposo

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue. Force stopping and clearing data is temporary. When chrome is used again they come back. There are no downloads in the folder. Its clear. This is getting annoying. Ive tried all these steps.