Force Update to ICS?

dg 1

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Currently on the following:

Android: 2.3.4
HTC Sense: 3.0
Software number: 1.50.531.1

Check for updates for Google or HTC on phone gives "No Updates available, you are up to date"

ICS for Sensation was made available around May 2012. I never got a notification for it.
Would like to use it now for various apps that require it.

Talked to T-mobile, they took down some ids from the phone, said they send batches of these to HTC to get updates pushed to specific devices.
They said it could take awhile, but I would eventually get a notification to update. They recommended calling HTC to see if they could do something quicker.
Somehow I don't have faith this will ever happen.

Talked to HTC, they say that they "don't think" that update is on their servers anymore. I'm not sure why they don't know for sure one way or the other.
Fine I guess, they can't have it available to push forever, but it should still exist somewhere so that I can download it manually to the phone. Shouldn't it?

Poking around for awhile and nothing has worked.

Anyone have a way to force an update?

Thanks

BlueAce127

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware of two ways to 'force' a software update without rooting.

1. Checkin Code

Open the Phone app and enter *#*#checkin#*#* (use the numbers on the dial pad for the letters). This method won't always work on the first try.

Note: Here's an article regarding the method... How to Force Your Android Phone to Check for a System Update

2. Google Services Framework

Go to Settings. Find Apps/Applications, then select Show All. Look for Google Services Framework then tap Clear Data. Afterwards, click Force Stop. At this point, you can head back to the main page of the Settings. Now you're going to check for updates again. Scroll down to About Phone, click System Updates. Finally, hit the Check Now button. This method won't always work on the first try either.

Note: Here's an article regarding the method... Force an Android Device to Check for a System Update

These are the two methods that I know of, there may be more. Good luck on updating your phone. :)

dg 1

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope, neither of those worked, I had tried the Google Framework one earlier today. Did it three more times just now.
I had not seen the "checkin" one before and it said in the notifications bar check in succeed, so looks like the update isn't on whatever server this
check is looking at. I don't get why I can't just hook the phone to my PC and download it from Google or T-mobile or HTC. Seems like something one
of those could provide really easily. What to the T-mobile store today, no help at all.

I guess I'm stuck with having provide the id from the phone to T-mobile and them saying they send you a batch to htc every so often to push an update to
an individual device, but like I said, I don't have much faith that will ever happen. Bummed

dg 1

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so here is the end result of the whole mess:
T mobile - Update to ICS for my phone (HTC Sensation) is no longer on their servers. This (obviously) is why checking tells me I'm up to date. Although, in the grand scheme of things I'm not up to date at all, just up to date on T mobile's twisted view of what that means. "No Soup for You" Of course, T Mobile tells me that since it is no longer on T mobiles update servers, it is now an HTC issue (of course) If you don't get it in an over the air update, you are out of luck. T mobile phone support suggested checking some of my local stores to see if they had the ROMs and would flash them to my phone. Called five different stores (No and No, if they knew what I was talking about at all)
HTC - Since updates are not housed on HTC servers, basically there is nothing they can do, outside of me sending the phone to Houston for "repair" even though the phone works fine. They would reset it and flash the ICS ROM to the phone. Estimate time for me with no phone - 2 weeks. Estimated cost - not known, they will send me an estimate once they get the phone, but before they do anything to it.
Question to HTC support guy - "Why don't you guys just have these ROMs on a website somewhere were I can download it? HTC guy - "We used to do that, but T mobile forced us to stop.

Moral of the story: I have no idea, but the mobile phone industry is a mess. And I am pissed (mostly at T-Mobile)

If I get that forced update from HTC that T mobile setup for me, I'll post back that they actually did it. The HTC support rep didn't know anything about a procedure like that.

dg 1

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Went to "Check for updates" today and ICS was Available. I am shocked!!! Looks like either they put the update back out there, or (probably more likely) that process where t-mobile sends id's up in batches to push updates to individual devices actually happened after a while.

If I get that forced update from HTC that T mobile setup for me, I'll post back that they actually did it. The HTC support rep didn't know anything about a procedure like that.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams