Hello all,
    Im a first time Android user coming from a JB/Unlocked iPhone with Tmob. So far this device has been really difficult to get used to and on a few occasions Ive wanted to march it right back to Tmob and throw it through their window.
    Im hoping some of you can help me identify with some issues Im having with the phone. I really want to like the phone, but so far Im less than impressed. In fact Im downright annoyed.

Contacts:
    This phone does not seem to recognize a contact that sends me a text message unless Ive saved their number with a 1 and area code. For instance lets say I have Joe Jack in my list and his phone number is saved like this: 567-8900. When I get a text message from him it comes through as message from 1(234)567-8900 with no contact name so Im like WTH is this? Whats even more annoying is, if I tap the contact icon at the top of this message it will open up Joe Jacks contact info. So it knows the number belongs to Joe Jack but why wont it display it as such on an incoming text message without the 1 and area code!?! So far as I get incoming text messages I have to click the icon to see who the number belongs to and then edit their phone number to include the area code. Then it refreshes the contact info in the of subsequent messages.
    This is really annoying since Ive got over 100 contacts and almost none of them have the area code in the phone number.

New Voicemail Icon:
    Ive had the New Voicemail icon on the top of the notifications bar since I got the phone. I had a few saved messages from my old phone so I thought that was the problem. Deleted all the messages in my voicemail (including saved ones) and the icon is still there telling me I have a new voicemail. When I check the voicemail she says, you have no messages.
    How can I get this notification to display the correct status of my voicemail?

Text Cursor Zoom Window:
    Kay this is a joke. If I have to edit text in the body of a message (or anything where text is entered for that matter) and I touch the screen where I need my edit to take place, it brings up a nice zoom window (like the iPhone) so you can more accurately place the cursor between letters. Problem is, the zoom window is RIGHT UNDER MY THUMB!!! It is totally useless since I have to tilt the screen in order to see between my thumb and the screen to see where the cursor is at. At least on the iPhone the zoom window is offset a little bit.

Thats all for now. The contacts is almost a total show stopper
    06-21-2011 03:38 PM
    Contacts. Hmm. Have you set their number as mobile?
    Edit: I'm guessing it because it doesn't have an area code. You could also try linking your contacts together. Just hold down on the contact in the messaging app, select edit (or add w/e) and link (or join, whatever it is this phone shows) with the corresponding person.

Voicemail, I had the same issue. Go to Settings > Phone and then look for the cm"Clear Voicemail" option. That should do it.

Text zoom is showing above the words for me. I'll try and reproduce
    Edit: I agree. Extremely annoying. It only happens in the text messaging window (when your typing). Trying to think of another way to fix this. Hmm.
    06-21-2011 04:37 PM
    Contacts. Hmm. Have you set their number as mobile?
    Edit: I'm guessing it because it doesn't have an area code. You could also try linking your contacts together. Just hold down on the contact in the messaging app, select edit (or add w/e) and link (or join, whatever it is this phone shows) with the corresponding person.

Voicemail, I had the same issue. Go to Settings > Phone and then look for the cm"Clear Voicemail" option. That should do it.

Text zoom is showing above the words for me. I'll try and reproduce
    Edit: I agree. Extremely annoying. It only happens in the text messaging window (when your typing). Trying to think of another way to fix this. Hmm.
    Thanks for the quick reply. To answer your questions:
    Yes I have all my contacts numbers set to Mobile where applicable.
    I've Linked all my contacts when it's asked me to. In fact I got so frustrated at one point I deleted every contact off my phone, sim, SD card, and Tmobile online backup. Then edited all the contacts within the Gmail contacts list, then imported to my phone from there.

Here's a funny one; my wife texted me for the first time since I got my phone. I didn't recognize her number right away so I asked, "Who is this???". She replied, "WTF, it's your wife you dork!"
    ...oops. So I went into my wife's contact info and added a 1 (360) to the front of her number, now all the text messages show her contact name rather than a string of 11-digits like it did before for an incoming message.

Voicemail: your suggestion cleared the icon, thanks! I assume it'll return when someone DOES leave a voice message.

Text zoom: your right (for the most part) the zoom does seem to affect the text messaging window the mostly.

Edit~ I forgot to mention the random crashes and error reporting. This think crashes the message window about twice a day and want's to send information back to HTC. Just now it randomly rebooted and said something about recovering from an unexpected restart; sending data to HTC for analysis for future improvements.
    This think is only one day old!
    06-21-2011 05:36 PM
    Yeah HTC has a weird thing going on with contacts. Just really messy IMO.

Yes! The voicemail will now show when you get one lol.

It's really annoying for me too. I just try and select the area needed instead of using the zoom in effect.
    Hopefully we can find a fix/workaround for it.
    06-21-2011 05:48 PM
    That is awkward. Has yet to crash for me. Any apps that could be interfering?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
    06-21-2011 07:27 PM

Edit~ I forgot to mention the random crashes and error reporting. This think crashes the message window about twice a day and want's to send information back to HTC. Just now it randomly rebooted and said something about recovering from an unexpected restart; sending data to HTC for analysis for future improvements.
    This think is only one day old!
    This is a big request, but can you list all of your downloaded apps in this thread please? (omit any that you don't want to include, of course) If your phone crashes its usually caused by an errant app.
    06-21-2011 07:56 PM
    This is a big request, but can you list all of your downloaded apps in this thread please? (omit any that you don't want to include, of course) If your phone crashes its usually caused by an errant app.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

06-21-2011 08:18 PM
    Tip for the OP for listing the apps. If you use AppBrain and its respective app, you can just provide a link to your apps on here that will allow users to view all installed apps online. Just a tip. You can always delete the AppBrain app at any time.
    06-21-2011 09:11 PM
    Not a problem. This is my first Android phone and it's only two days old. I don't even know what apps to install. Here's the list of whats in the Applications list if I sort by Downloaded items. I hardly use any of them yet.

Dolphin Browser HD (which I don't use and cant' seem to uninstall)
    Listen
    Latitude
    Maps
    Navigation
    Places
    Zedge
    Angry Birds RIo
    My Tracks

I didn't download the following apps; Listen, Latitude, Maps, Navigation, Places. They must've came pre-installed.

There are no other apps in the downloaded list (not omitting any either...)
    06-22-2011 11:22 AM
    Text Cursor Zoom Window:
    Kay this is a joke. If I have to edit text in the body of a message (or anything where text is entered for that matter) and I touch the screen where I need my edit to take place, it brings up a nice zoom window (like the iPhone) so you can more accurately place the cursor between letters. Problem is, the zoom window is RIGHT UNDER MY THUMB!!! It is totally useless since I have to tilt the screen in order to see between my thumb and the screen to see where the cursor is at. At least on the iPhone the zoom window is offset a little bit.

That’s all for now. The contacts is almost a total show stopper…
    I am unable to reproduce this effect. I went into SMS messages, wrote out a test message, selected various spots to edit using the magnifier.... no problem. Box shows up above finger.

Even went to a received message to copy text and still... no problem.

EDIT: Oh, ok, I see, it appears to do this in a text message where there are quite a few sent & received text messages. In a message that contains 1 or 2 messages, it seems fine.
    06-22-2011 11:37 AM
    Hate to say this, but you should try a factory reset. I know its going to be a PITA.
    It could be some app interfering, or maybe some setting you change/applied that is causing the crashes. If a factory reset doesn't work I would go to your TMO store and say that it keeps rebooting and crashing on its own.

06-22-2011 11:58 AM
    I am unable to reproduce this effect. I went into SMS messages, wrote out a test message, selected various spots to edit using the magnifier.... no problem. Box shows up above finger.

Even went to a received message to copy text and still... no problem.

EDIT: Oh, ok, I see, it appears to do this in a text message where there are quite a few sent & received text messages. In a message that contains 1 or 2 messages, it seems fine.
    Try editing text in landscape mode. The first few lines of text are the worst becasue it's at the top of the text field window and the magnifier likes to appear above the line. If you carrage return a bunch of times the magnifier is no longer constrained by the text field border.

I'll try a factory reset when I get home. I haven't really done much with the phone so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
    06-22-2011 01:44 PM
    Try editing text in landscape mode. The first few lines of text are the worst becasue it's at the top of the text field window and the magnifier likes to appear above the line. If you carrage return a bunch of times the magnifier is no longer constrained by the text field border.
    Or, you can just move your finger lower. After you tap and start sliding your finger on your text, you can slide it down also, so you can see your magnifying box.
    06-22-2011 02:08 PM
    Or, you can just move your finger lower. After you tap and start sliding your finger on your text, you can slide it down also, so you can see your magnifying box.
    Slide it too low and it moves the cursor to the line below. Slide your finger any less than that still does not reveal enough of the zoom window.

...and no I do not have chubby sausage fingers either.
    06-22-2011 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD