Pull Ring to Unlock...reduction in touch sensitivity...possible to disable?

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey gang,

I've had my Sensation for about 10 days now and I am overall happy with it, but I have one issue.

It seems over the last day or two, my screen has lost some touch sensitivity, especially toward the lower region. It is very noticeable when having to pull the ring to unlock the phone, which unfortunately is EVERY TIME I USE IT because I always push the power button after every use to turn the screen off. So even though the phone is manually "locked," and I unlock it by pressing the power button to wake it up, it's also locked by the silly pull ring. Grrrrr!

So...here's what I'm wondering:

1) Has anyone else noticed a reduction in sensitivity on the touch screen, and would you recommend I take it back to exchange it for another unit?

2) Is there a way to disable the silly "pull ring" screen lock? It's redundant if I'm manually turning the screen off every time I use it anyway.

Please advise. Thanks!

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If that means the sales rep playing with mine and a new one side by side, then I'm OK with that. It certainly feels different now than it did 10 days ago when I bought it. Not as responsive to touch now. :(

fireroob

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey gang,

I've had my Sensation for about 10 days now and I am overall happy with it, but I have one issue.

It seems over the last day or two, my screen has lost some touch sensitivity, especially toward the lower region. It is very noticeable when having to pull the ring to unlock the phone, which unfortunately is EVERY TIME I USE IT because I always push the power button after every use to turn the screen off. So even though the phone is manually "locked," and I unlock it by pressing the power button to wake it up, it's also locked by the silly pull ring. Grrrrr!

So...here's what I'm wondering:

1) Has anyone else noticed a reduction in sensitivity on the touch screen, and would you recommend I take it back to exchange it for another unit?

2) Is there a way to disable the silly "pull ring" screen lock? It's redundant if I'm manually turning the screen off every time I use it anyway.

Please advise. Thanks!
I too have had the same problem. I got the phone only 7 days ago and over Sunday or Early Monday i noticed that it has been near impossible for me to utilize the pull ring, I found that if i leave the screen on for 5 seconds or so then its response is immeidate.

I have performed a factory reset, pulled the SD card out to see if because i got a larger memory module it has some effect. But for whatever reason it still lags on the bottom of the screen. I brought it to the store quickly compared with the Demo Model and its definetly my phone... Funny thing is i bought two of them and the other one is my Boss's and it too is laggy on the bottom.

But at least he can still answer calls, i always have to call the person back.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Sounds like it is the phone then. Should qualify worthy of a replacement. Looks like your store might have got a few.bad.phones.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

nroulleau

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pull Ring to Unlock...reduction in touch sensitivity...possib

I have exactly the same issue, phone is 9 or 10th days old, and Suddenly was not working well in unlocking. just the locking was slow, though I did notice poor performance in the lock pattern also, though not as noticeable. Surprised there's no sensitivity setting

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I have noticed this on both my units. One thing people running Android forget to do is a daily restart. Hold the power button and choose restart. This makes a huge difference. I have also noticed that if you drag starting below the menu key and back key that makes a difference. Kinda weird lol but it works.

Reactions: matthewkreth

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I have noticed this on both my units. One thing people running Android forget to do is a daily restart. Hold the power button and choose restart. This makes a huge difference. I have also noticed that if you drag starting below the menu key and back key that makes a difference. Kinda weird lol but it works.

To be more exact, if you put your finger right in the circle (notice that the center of the circle is somewhere on the black band between "menu" and "arrow") it works every time like a charm, you don't have to wait seconds since you pressed the power button. So don't pull from the circle ring, put your finger into it. :D

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, no...this is a legitimate problem. I'll post a video of it ASAP. It has actually happened on the right side of the home screen AFTER unlocking as well as the bottom row of icons. I pushed my "Mail" icon which was second row down, far right side about 17 times. It would not register the push. All other buttons worked as normal *except* the ones on the right side.

The pull ring does the same thing, and it's not just the ring...it shows the same lag/lack of sensitivity when trying to pull the icons into the ring to unlock.

I will be going into the local store to exchange the unit tomorrow.

thejet24

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Hi everyone...

I work for T-Mobile. I'm a sales rep and I can personally tell you that exchanging your phone will not guarantee the same problem will not occur on your new device.

I have the phone as well, and have experienced the same problem. I have to press the power key to turn the screen off again, and it works.

Like a previous poster said, RESET YOUR PHONE AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. These are machines. Yes, they are marketed as if they can do anything and everything, but if you believe you are getting a product that is perfect, you are fooling yourself.

Every device has its issues, especially smartphones. And usually, unless its a very detailed problem, its a common issue with the device, like this one seems to be.

If you're within the Buyer's Remorse, go ahead an exchange it if you want. But if not, I would recommend not to exchange it if you're experiencing this issue.

Common problems are usually addressed with updates. HTC does a good job at getting those out, so I fully expect this issue to be fixed.

But again, RESET YOUR PHONE AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. You dont even have to worry about powering it back on. The phone does that by itself. Make this a habit, and many small issues will go away.

I like to compare it to a car. Chances are if you maintain your car, and don't run it into the ground by always taking long trips and run it on empty half the time, you'll have a something that will last you and you'll be happy with. If not, you'll be asking for a new car.

I think this is the only problem the phone has because I can't find a single thing anyone else is complaining about (other than reception issues but everyone always points at that). The phone is legit, and just be happy you aren't stuck with a G2x.

Last edited:

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, though as a mechanic, the car analogy sucks. I don't have to reset my car's ECU daily in order for it to work properly. =P lol.

That said...what options do we have for resets on this device? I know there's the restart and power-off options that pop up if you long press the power button...are there any other types of resets?

thejet24

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, though as a mechanic, the car analogy sucks. I don't have to reset my car's ECU daily in order for it to work properly. =P lol.

That said...what options do we have for resets on this device? I know there's the restart and power-off options that pop up if you long press the power button...are there any other types of resets?

Lol I admit its not exactly the same, but you get the point.

Only other reset would be a master reset. But that's like a last resort.

Also, get JuiceDefender. Manages your battery very well, and your phone always runs better when the battery isn't low.

Reactions: matthewkreth

Shroomster

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi everyone...

If you're within the Buyer's Remorse, go ahead an exchange it if you want. But if not, I would recom
I think this is the only problem the phone has because I can't find a single thing anyone else is complaining about (other than reception issues but everyone always points at that). The phone is legit, and just be happy you aren't stuck with a G2x.

Actually I'm having issues with the text boxes, mainly getting the text selection to work properly and the long press options box locations......

deoray

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I have also experienced same issue while unlocking phone and it was very annoying that you are trying to grab ring and keep missing same. I dont think its a permanent issue. Here are my 2 cents.
1. Restarting is one option but I dont think that is really required to be performed everyday. I think HTC sense skin is not that badly written code.
2. I have come from Nexus One. Very well build device. Again by HTC but no custom skin. I have experienced touch screen loosing sensitivity when phone is hot. It happens when you use and charge phone at the same time. Things should go back to normal as phone temp cools down.

seanwilliams78

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Needed to add to this...

...was replying to a text message and the same thing happened - I start pressing letters on the keyboard and they did not register. After about 3 seconds and 6 presses, they began to register.

It seems like the problem is lag (I hope)...rather than a hardware issue.

But so far - this failure to sense pressure on the display has happened with the pull ring, app shortcuts and widgets, and now the keyboard with text messaging. I keep a Flip video camera in my car so sometimes I can catch a video of it, but it's a huge PITA to catch it in time.

Anyone else having similar issues, please post up. I'm not sure what to do and I've had the unit for more than 2 weeks now. :-\

wally27

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the same problems . Phone worked good forqt days to... Pull ring, back button,camera button,pretty much every thing on screen isn't working right.. maybe virus or the screen is built is defective?

komari

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Actually I'm having issues with the text boxes, mainly getting the text selection to work properly and the long press options box locations......

I've had this same problem and I called HTC about it twice. At first a factory restore seemed to fix the problem, but it came back. They told me to get a new phone cause it seemed the one I had was faulty (strangely also didn't have the correct options when we tried doing a hard button factory reset).

Anyway, after getting a new handset I noticed the same problem. I think there's a bug with text input and the long press magnified box location. My case has been elevated so will be talking to a high level tech within the next few days. Hopefully they will be able to fix the issue on one of the early system updates.