Just purchased a Sensation 4G, and I am having second thoughts

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I just "upgraded" from my G2 to the Sensation 4G based on the positive reviews I have read. To be honest, the G2 was more than adequate for my needs and I just wanted the latest and greatest. However, almost immediately I started regretting not getting another stock Android device. Let me explain my issues and perhaps someone can help me.

1) This is a minor annoyance, but each time I unlock the screen the clock flips down to reveal the current time (it shows the 'old' time for a split second) and all the tabs kind of swirl around before settling down on the main interface. This gets more bothersome each time, is there any way to simply have it unlock directly to the home screen without any of those dumb animations?

2) When I initially played with a friends Sense equipped phone, one of the features I thought was cool was that if you flicked to the right from the homescreen you were shown a full screen view of the calendar and email. However, once I actually started using on my Sensation I found that both of these 'features' are essentially useless. In order to see your new email you need to go to the email view and then wait approximately one or two seconds for the app to pull down any new messages. Is there really not a way for this to be done in the background so that when you go to the view the messages are already there? Regarding the calendar view, I dont see any value whatsoever the way it comes on the phone. Sure, it allows you to see how many days are in the given month and what day of the week each date falls on....but thats it. I checked all the settings, and as far as I can tell there is no way to change this view so that it shows the current day (or week, or agenda) or anything useful at all.

3) The lockscreen itself is causing me some additional angst. The idea of the quick launch icons isnt bad, but I find that I dont use them and dont want them. I have not been able to find out a way to completely remove ALL the quick launch icons from the lock screen. All I want to do from the lockscreen is unlock the phone, is this possible? Furthermore, I really dont like how text messages and calendar items are show full screen when the phone is locked. I dont want anyone that picks up my phone to be able to read my text messages, see my appointments, or view any other information that pops up. Can these notifications be disabled?

4) On my G2, if I wanted to place a call I could go into the address book (or click on a number in text) and then long press the function button the bottom of the phone. This would bring up a prompt that asked me if I wanted to call the number using the phone or Google voice. This was convenient because I had turned off the setting that prompted me to choose the phone function or GV whenever placing a call. Was this functionality removed in the Sensation 4G?

Sorry for the rant, but I didnt realize that I was taking a lot of the core Android functions for granted until I started using a device with a modified version. If the above cant be rectified, is there any way for me to simply put stock Android on the Sensation and be done with it?

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just purchased a Sensation 4G, and I am having second thought

1) This is a minor annoyance, but each time I unlock the screen the clock flips down to reveal the current time (it shows the 'old' time for a split second) and all the tabs kind of swirl around before settling down on the main interface. This gets more bothersome each time, is there any way to simply have it unlock directly to the home screen without any of those dumb animations?

in the setting I believe theirs 3 option show all animation, show some animations or show no animations that should probably help you out

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

in the setting I believe theirs 3 option show all animation, show some animations or show no animations that should probably help you out
If you mean the setting under 'display' that allows you to disable all animations, I already turned that off and to be honest I dont see any difference at all. I think that turns off some other animations, although I am yet to figure out which.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Return it. You're not going to be happy since everything you described is part of sense and can't be modified.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Return it. You're not going to be happy since everything you described is part of sense and can't be modified.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
I think its too late for that, I have had it for over a week. So my only hope is flashing it with stock android or some other third party build?

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I think its too late for that, I have had it for over a week. So my only hope is flashing it with stock android or some other third party build?

Or you can just install a 3rd party launcher and customize it however you like it. You don't have to use Sense if you don't like it.

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Or you can just install a 3rd party launcher and customize it however you like it. You don't have to use Sense if you don't like it.
Do you have any suggestions as to which one I should use? Preferably, one that is as close to the stock version as possible?

Tacjim

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

No you can still return it, you have 2 weeks if bought from Walmart or TMO store, I recommend you return this bothersome device immediately! If the clock flipping over to the correct time bothers you that much when you unlock your phone, you won't be happy. You should return this phone immediately, go back to your G2 with 3.7 480x800 res screen, it's 800MHz processor, 5 Megapixel camera. For your use, it's obviously the better device. The Sensation just has to much going on.

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

No you can still return it, you have 2 weeks if bought from Walmart or TMO store, I recommend you return this bothersome device immediately! If the clock flipping over to the correct time bothers you that much when you unlock your phone, you won't be happy. You should return this phone immediately, go back to your G2 with 3.7 480x800 res screen, it's 800MHz processor, 5 Megapixel camera. For your use, it's obviously the better device. The Sensation just has to much going on.

There is no reason for you to be obnoxious here. Perhaps YOU like the Sense UI, however I do not. If you dont have anything constructive to add to this discussion please go troll around elsewhere.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Do you have any suggestions as to which one I should use? Preferably, one that is as close to the stock version as possible?

I used AWD and Launcher Pro on my previous phones, and both let you customize them by your heart's desire. Just give each of them a try and decide for yourself which one you like. The flipping clock updating just when you unlock the phone it's to save you battery and not updating in the background continuously. Don't worry, the phone's clock it's always on time :), just the widget's display refreshes on unlock. One more thing, you can set the calendar's widget to display the agenda on the screen. When you add the widget to the screen, scroll through the options and pick agenda.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of sense either. Way too much unnecessary stuff going on IMHO. I need weather not pretty cloud animations. That being said there are a few good optional launchers. adw is the one I use and is great. Tons of options and probably closest to stock looking. Also go launcher is good as well. And there is one more but it escapes me at the moment. If you try them out make sure you delete all your widgets from stock sense homescreens. Most of them are free and have paid versions as well.

Sent from da infuse mon!

Reactions: webmaster

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I used AWD and Launcher Pro on my previous phones, and both let you customize them by your heart's desire. Just give each of them a try and decide for yourself which one you like. The flipping clock updating just when you unlock the phone it's to save you battery and not updating in the background continuously. Don't worry, the phone's clock it's always on time :), just the widget's display refreshes on unlock. One more thing, you can set the calendar's widget to display the agenda on the screen. When you add the widget to the screen, scroll through the options and pick agenda.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip! I followed your advice and now the calendar view is of the daily agenda. I will check out both of the launchers you mentioned. As for the clock thing, its odd since the one on stock android doesnt do the flip thing and as far as I know it also runs in the background.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I just "upgraded" from my G2 to the Sensation 4G based on the positive reviews I have read. To be honest, the G2 was more than adequate for my needs and I just wanted the latest and greatest. However, almost immediately I started regretting not getting another stock Android device. Let me explain my issues and perhaps someone can help me.

2) When I initially played with a friends Sense equipped phone, one of the features I thought was cool was that if you flicked to the right from the homescreen you were shown a full screen view of the calendar and email. However, once I actually started using on my Sensation I found that both of these 'features' are essentially useless. In order to see your new email you need to go to the email view and then wait approximately one or two seconds for the app to pull down any new messages. Is there really not a way for this to be done in the background so that when you go to the view the messages are already there? Regarding the calendar view, I dont see any value whatsoever the way it comes on the phone. Sure, it allows you to see how many days are in the given month and what day of the week each date falls on....but thats it. I checked all the settings, and as far as I can tell there is no way to change this view so that it shows the current day (or week, or agenda) or anything useful at all.

3) The lockscreen itself is causing me some additional angst. The idea of the quick launch icons isnt bad, but I find that I dont use them and dont want them. I have not been able to find out a way to completely remove ALL the quick launch icons from the lock screen. All I want to do from the lockscreen is unlock the phone, is this possible? Furthermore, I really dont like how text messages and calendar items are show full screen when the phone is locked. I dont want anyone that picks up my phone to be able to read my text messages, see my appointments, or view any other information that pops up. Can these notifications be disabled?

4) On my G2, if I wanted to place a call I could go into the address book (or click on a number in text) and then long press the function button the bottom of the phone. This would bring up a prompt that asked me if I wanted to call the number using the phone or Google voice. This was convenient because I had turned off the setting that prompted me to choose the phone function or GV whenever placing a call. Was this functionality removed in the Sensation 4G?

Sorry for the rant, but I didnt realize that I was taking a lot of the core Android functions for granted until I started using a device with a modified version. If the above cant be rectified, is there any way for me to simply put stock Android on the Sensation and be done with it?

1) Like I said, they made it like that to save you battery.

2) The calendar setting you already got it. The email and widget settings work the same. They update once you scroll on the homescreen they are on, I find it smart to save battery and data download (I don't mind 1-2 sec. of wait)

3)Tap "Personalize" (little paint-color icon on the right of the dock) and choose "Lockscreen". You can pick other theme there: for example "Clock" it will not display you messages on the screen.

4) After you install Google Voice, at the very first time when you long press a contact or number and choose "Call", it will ask you what app to use for it: Dialer or GV. Pick GV and check the box "Default".

I hope these helps you and you'll have a good experience with Sense.

webmaster

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

1) Like I said, they made it like that to save you battery.

2) The calendar setting you already got it. The email and widget settings work the same. They update once you scroll on the homescreen they are on, I find it smart to save battery and data download (I don't mind 1-2 sec. of wait)

3)Tap "Personalize" (little paint-color icon on the right of the dock) and choose "Lockscreen". You can pick other theme there: for example "Clock" it will not display you messages on the screen.

4) After you install Google Voice, at the very first time when you long press a contact or number and choose "Call", it will ask you what app to use for it: Dialer or GV. Pick GV and check the box "Default".

I hope these helps you and you'll have a good experience with Sense.
Strangely, even if I change the lockscreen to clock AND remove the text message quick launch icon it still displays new text messages (and all other content) on the the lockscreen. Is there some other setting that configures what shows up on this screen?

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com

1) Nothing can be done, really. Best advice is remove the widget, buy Beautiful/Fancy Widgets from the Market and use that. Similar look, no flip animation.

2) Done to save battery. As for the calendar view, remove the widget, re-add, but this time select the one with the agenda view (Swipe left and right until you see it).

3) If you're not using the shortcuts, just ignore them. Not so sure if they can be completely removed. Will look into it.
The text messages. In "Settings > Privacy" there is option that enables/disables the lock screen text message. Disable it.

4) Best option is to just have Google Voice ask each time before a call.

If the phone isn't for you because of Sense 3.0 I suggest trying the G2x. Its stock Android. Could suit your needs a bit more. (Its also as equally fast, if not quicker.)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

Last edited:

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site

Well based on everything you have said, I can already tell you Sense 3.0 is not for you. But here are my thoughts:

1. The clock moved when you unlock the phone for the purpose of you seeing the animation. If the clock only flipped when the time changed you would have to be staring at that particular home screen at that moment and you would rarely see it. There are 17 different clock widgets and even more available for download free from HTC Hub. There has to be something else there for you...

2. I didn't know about this at first either... but when adding any HTC widgets, swiping left will usually give you 1 or 2 more widget view options.

3. I don't believe you can remove the lockscreen shortcuts. I don't think HTC (or anyone else) ever thought someone would not want to use them or that it would bother someone so much simply to have them there an not use them.

4. I un-installed GV and switched to Visual Voicemail (so much better) so I don't know about this one..

Marshy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

So, you don't like sense. Install another launcher. Problem solved. :)
Oh yeah, and change your widgets.

Reactions: ptb1852

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Under Settings->Privacy clear the box "Display message text" on lock screen.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

Widgetlocker is a lock screen replacement that's fully customizable. You might want to give it a try.

For email and message widgets, check out the widgets in the market by francois deslandes. They should update in the background as opposed to the HTC ones.