After debating after weeks over getting either the G2 or waiting to hear Z1 availability in the states, I made the switch with both phone and carrier and after a couple of days with the G2, I'm not looking back. Coming from the S2 on Sprint, this thing is like a whole new experience.

First off, outside of this forum, hardly anybody even knows about this thing and it's a shame. I went to 3 different T-Mobile stores and a Best Buy (when I was thinking about switching to AT&T instead). Everybody greeted me with "So, you're looking for an iPhone" and blew their minds when I asked about the G2. The first two T-Mobile stores didn't even know what I was talking about at first, and even though the Best Buy rep knew of the phone, they only had Verizon ones in stock. Finally I found a T-Mobile rep who knew of the phone and had a few in, though there's absolutely no sign of a display or anything for it out.

Anyway. Never knew how good TMo service was... MILES ahead of Sprint. I'm in the NYC and Long Island areas and there's not one place I've been that I thought to myself "Okay so Sprint has the edge in this area.."

The G2 is like the S4 on steroids, and makes the iPhone just seem silly. First impressions after using it for a few days.. the camera is amazing. One of the main reasons I was considering the Z1 was for the camera, which from everything I read, is pretty good... but yet disappointing. However the camera on here is just mint. The screen is great. I thought I'd miss the punch of colors from AMOLED screens but looking at them side by side, but the screen on the LG is the best I've seen yet (IMO better then the S4, iP5,.. yet to be fair I have not seen the HTC One screen in person). I can't believe the battery life on this thing. After a full charge, I unplugged it at 3am... had my first full day with the phone which of course I pretty much never put it down. I finally had to plug it in at 2% left at 2am the next night. I took it off charge at 6am yesterday, used it all day and just put it back on at 4pm this afternoon. Mind = Blown.

Downsides? Hard to find a cover for it currently. A T-Mobile store in Queens where I live told me to check back next week.. even went to an AT&T store to try my luck there and the guy didn't know what the phone even was and had nothing for it. Did tell me he had a backroom full of iPhones though.

Oh and btw, I don't know how I ever managed to get by without "Knock On", which works the majority of the time.

Slide Aside seems kind of pointless however. By dragging three fingers across the screen, you can save up to 3 apps that by dragging 3 fingers across the screen again, you can get access to again. OR, you know, you can just long press the home button and do it the Google way... So yeah.

So anybody else able to find a G2 in stores yet??
    09-23-2013 05:31 PM
    I think it's hard to find in stores because the official release date isn't until the 25th of September. You can order it online but most stores won't carry it until the 25th.

I for one will be ordering mine from the tmo corporate discount page on the official release date.

Did they give you a free Window case when you bought yours?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    hooksy7 likes this.
    09-24-2013 01:24 AM
    i know, its almost laughable, "how great phone this is" compared to "how everyone either doesn't know about it, or knows about it and trashes it"... Sad... To me, the ppl that insult it or say its a copy cat are ppl who don't own it or have ever even seen it. there's absolutely no way to walk away from it without being impressed by AT LEAST "some to most to all" of the things it does, and does so well.

Yeah T-Mo has TOTALLY stepped it up. Seems the settlement they got from the merger falling thru was put to really good use. Two years ago i couldn't even break a .5 mbps on its best day, now on regular basis i get 6-9 HSPA+, and 10-25 LTE on T-Mo's network. And their phone selection used to be a joke as well, but now, with this baby in hand and their really great network, i'm ready for anything (well, Netflix : )

lol

Hopefully it will prevail, but i'm almost ready to give up taking up for it & trying to convince ppl how great it is... Most ppl wouldn't even know a diamond if they held it in their hand (thanx Steely Dan...lol) ... Its too frustrating. Me & "G" will just go off into the sunset, i guess : )

Picked up the G2 on iPhone 5s release day-05be3ae7-9b96-4d81-bd3a-e3d9c6b28be4_zpsdf173038.jpg

BTC
    09-25-2013 10:17 AM
    That phone looks wonderful. Thinking of selling my Note 2 for this!
    09-25-2013 07:30 PM
    i know, its almost laughable, "how great phone this is" compared to "how everyone either doesn't know about it, or knows about it and trashes it"... Sad... To me, the ppl that insult it or say its a copy cat are ppl who don't own it or have ever even seen it. there's absolutely no way to walk away from it without being impressed by AT LEAST "some to most to all" of the things it does, and does so well.

Yeah T-Mo has TOTALLY stepped it up. Seems the settlement they got from the merger falling thru was put to really good use. Two years ago i couldn't even break a .5 mbps on its best day, now on regular basis i get 6-9 HSPA+, and 10-25 LTE on T-Mo's network. And their phone selection used to be a joke as well, but now, with this baby in hand and their really great network, i'm ready for anything (well, Netflix : )

lol

Hopefully it will prevail, but i'm almost ready to give up taking up for it & trying to convince ppl how great it is... Most ppl wouldn't even know a diamond if they held it in their hand (thanx Steely Dan...lol) ... Its too frustrating. Me & "G" will just go off into the sunset, i guess : )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05be3ae7-9b96-4d81-bd3a-e3d9c6b28be4_zpsdf173038.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	83029

BTC
    It's crazy, because I have almost the exact same story. I've been with Sprint on and off (I always maintained a line with them) since 99', but recently their spotty LTE service and slow 3g weren't cutting it. So last Friday I switched to T-Mobile and picked up the white G2. I'm also in NYC, and so far T-Mobile's service is miles better. My previous weak service zones are gone and I have excellent LTE coverage. The scary part is that in the few places where there is no LTE, we get HSPA+42 as a fallback!

While I was never an LG fan, I'm loving the G2. The screen and performance are incredible. And I'm coming from a Note 2. The weakest link is LG's skin, but it's nothing that XDA won't fix.
    09-25-2013 07:35 PM
    Oops, my reply was supposed to be directed at Ragdoll08. No biggie.
    09-25-2013 07:37 PM

While I was never an LG fan, I'm loving the G2. The screen and performance are incredible. And I'm coming from a Note 2. The weakest link is LG's skin, but it's nothing that XDA won't fix.
    Hi Dee!

you seem like the "perfect person" to ask a question that has so been bugging me since the release of this awesome device, but I never posed it to anyone because i'm not "about the drama and arguing", but since you "are already a lover of this phone", I think you can solve "my mystery" without the risk of any of that : )

I, personally am a complete fan of LG's UI, especially the weather animations that HTC was so awesome at but are now "dead" on HTC Sense (yeah, so sue me, visually i'm stuck in 2010...lol) but I have almost everything "ticked ON" & have had this phone a solid week and have yet to see, "working" message appear or even a millisecond of hesitation when I have asked ANYTHING of it... Its just that good!

Can you tell me WHY having a "useful colorful animated skin (but with the option to disable just about anything you don't like) is so bad IF (here's the important part) it doesn't "bog down your phone or cause it to lag or hiccup even one iota"?

thanx!

BTC
    09-26-2013 06:11 AM
    Hi Dee!

you seem like the "perfect person" to ask a question that has so been bugging me since the release of this awesome device, but I never posed it to anyone because i'm not "about the drama and arguing", but since you "are already a lover of this phone", I think you can solve "my mystery" without the risk of any of that : )

I, personally am a complete fan of LG's UI, especially the weather animations that HTC was so awesome at but are now "dead" on HTC Sense (yeah, so sue me, visually i'm stuck in 2010...lol) but I have almost everything "ticked ON" & have had this phone a solid week and have yet to see, "working" message appear or even a millisecond of hesitation when I have asked ANYTHING of it... Its just that good!

Can you tell me WHY having a "useful colorful animated skin (but with the option to disable just about anything you don't like) is so bad IF (here's the important part) it doesn't "bog down your phone or cause it to lag or hiccup even one iota"?

thanx!

BTC
    Hello BTC,

I'll try to do my best to explain. I'm not against colorful cartoony UIs, because on the showroom floor they're pretty and make the phone stand out. I've been using TouchWiz for years, so I'm used to it. I usually enjoy all the new features that Samsung adds on top of stock Android.

The main issue was that it came at a cost. The custom UIs have always bogged down performance compared to stock Android and they have drained the battery a lot quicker as well. LGs and Samsung's rivalry is well known, and while both companies borrow from each other, LG is more of a "me too" company. Look at the camera app,for example.

The Snapdragon 800 is such a beast that even the very heavy Optimus UI can't bog it down. That's a great thing, but it's way too busy. Especially compared to stock Android. My main complaint would have to be the notification pulldown. It's way too excessive and busy. I appreciate the toggles,but there's too much going on,even compared to TouchWiz.

At the end of the day,LG made a great phone and the beauty of Android is that It's fully customizable even without root. As it stands, I only have minor complaints that will be gone once the XDA community picks up, because I'd like to be able to keep some of LGs best features such as Knock On.

By the way, if you really love the weather widget, may I suggest that you check out HD Widgets and Beautiful Widgets. You'll find all the best HTC, Samsung, and custom weather widgets you can dream of.
    09-26-2013 08:09 AM
    Hello BTC,

I'll try to do my best to explain. I'm not against colorful cartoony UIs, because on the showroom floor they're pretty and make the phone stand out. I've been using TouchWiz for years, so I'm used to it. I usually enjoy all the new features that Samsung adds on top of stock Android.

The main issue was that it came at a cost. The custom UIs have always bogged down performance compared to stock Android and they have drained the battery a lot quicker as well. LGs and Samsung's rivalry is well known, and while both companies borrow from each other, LG is more of a "me too" company. Look at the camera app,for example.

The Snapdragon 800 is such a beast that even the very heavy Optimus UI can't bog it down. That's a great thing, but it's way too busy. Especially compared to stock Android. My main complaint would have to be the notification pulldown. It's way too excessive and busy. I appreciate the toggles,but there's too much going on,even compared to TouchWiz.

Hi Dee!

Thanx for your reply!

I dunno about it being the Snap800 that's responsible for a "lag free LG UI Experience" because i have the LG O Pro (Snap 600) AND a LG F3 (1.2 ghz dual core) cheap 100.00 off contract Metro PCS Phone running on T-Mo that i picked up last month and BOTH of those are running same UI as LG G2, and they both FLY and run circles around most devices out there... ." Look at the standby on my F3:

Picked up the G2 on iPhone 5s release day-f3batterylife_zpsfed90ac1.png

i think LG just knows how to "optimize their software

I know i won't find a lot of ppl to agree with me, but i'm a "hard core LG User here and i can tell you in the 6 mos i have been an LG owner of now ALL three devices, i haven't experienced a hiccup, slowdown, lag or even a burp out of any of them!

As for the "me too", i don't get that either. Replicating features is standard within the television, dvd player, computer, almost all electronics i can think of) industry, and i want my fav brand to use features developed by other mfg so i can stay within the brand i like, so i don't understand why that opinion is so popular either ...
    Thanx again for your reply!
    09-26-2013 07:00 PM
    Hi Dee!

Thanx for your reply!

I dunno about it being the Snap800 that's responsible for a "lag free LG UI Experience" because i have the LG O Pro (Snap 600) AND a LG F3 (1.2 ghz dual core) cheap 100.00 off contract Metro PCS Phone running on T-Mo that i picked up last month and BOTH of those are running same UI as LG G2, and they both FLY and run circles around most devices out there... ." Look at the standby on my F3:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3Batterylife_zpsfed90ac1.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	83265

i think LG just knows how to "optimize their software

I know i won't find a lot of ppl to agree with me, but i'm a "hard core LG User here and i can tell you in the 6 mos i have been an LG owner of now ALL three devices, i haven't experienced a hiccup, slowdown, lag or even a burp out of any of them!

As for the "me too", i don't get that either. Replicating features is standard within the television, dvd player, computer, almost all electronics i can think of) industry, and i want my fav brand to use features developed by other mfg so i can stay within the brand i like, so i don't understand why that opinion is so popular either ...http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com...ilies/kiss.png
    Thanx again for your reply!
    I completely agree with your accolades towards the G2. What it really boils down to is advertising/marketing (or lack thereof) towards the device. Consumers (i.e. us human beings) are fickle; and we gravitate towards what we constantly see shoved in our faces unbeknownst or not. In that department LG doesn't come close to spending the advertising $$$ as Samsung and Apple do for their devices. I've used every smartphone iteration imaginable (Blackberry, HTC, iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, etc.) and I have got to say everything from the button placement to the customized software on the LG is awesome!

The G2 by far is one of the most pleasant ownership experiences I've ever had in a smartphone; and this is not coming from an Android fanboy at all. I promise you that.
    BOSSY TEXAS CHICK likes this.
    12-04-2013 12:38 PM