ICS Update of Nexus S

lrdiaz

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
I did the manual upgrade as detailed in the News page of this forum, all went well except it is now a bit slugish. Any one experiencing slow navigation around the many icons?
I have the original T-MO Nexus S.

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I experienced the same. I have read in the past that factory resetting a phone after and os upgrade is recommended. This clears out all of the old junk your phone stored amd brings about a clean slate. I resetted my phone and its butter.

Reactions: lrdiaz

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Im glad my suggestion worked out for you. You can also turn on force hardware acceleration in the feveloper options. This may help if any app runs sluggish. But it does use up 8mb of ram for each app. Not abig deal.

VeryTallnLA

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got the OTA upgrade, it's installing as I type! Yeah!!
So far so good, nice light show and now it's says it's optimizing my applications..
LOL was going to do this manually tonight. Damn amazed I got it so fast.. Still optimizing, fingers crossed.
Updating contacts..
Well it looks like it's time to play with Ice Cream Sandwich. Thank you Google!

Last edited:

d_pang

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
yeah i had the same problem, the phone became laggy and a bit sluggish but after a while its back to normal and is fast and has no lag, without a factory reset

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Now, I'm having the same problem and I'm about to do this too, but I have a quick question if anyone can answer this. Will all of my apps be installed once I sign back on after the reset?

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
My experience has been the opposite - I think ICS feels a bit snappier on my Nexus S than Gingerbread. It does choke a little in the Movie Studio app, but other than that it's been great. I did blow away two non-stock widgets which I no longer need (smooth calendar and launch-x pro) not sure if non-stock widgets might be contributing to others' issues...

Furthermore the browser seems especially speedy, though I find myself tapping to zoom a few times before it works properly, and often inadvertently hitting links in the process.

bezly

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My phone was also very sluggish after the update. I did a factory reset and things seem speedy again. I have two new problems though.

1. My battery life stinks. I'm running the same settings as before (wifi, bluetooth, display, etc) but the battery drains much faster. :confused: Has anyone else noticed this?

2. I can no longer connect to my phone through the USB cable. Either it doesn't show on the machine at all or it does and generates an error. (I've tried on both a mac and a PC.) :mad:

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
My phone was also very sluggish after the update. I did a factory reset and things seem speedy again. I have two new problems though.

1. My battery life stinks. I'm running the same settings as before (wifi, bluetooth, display, etc) but the battery drains much faster. :confused: Has anyone else noticed this?

2. I can no longer connect to my phone through the USB cable. Either it doesn't show on the machine at all or it does and generates an error. (I've tried on both a mac and a PC.) :mad:

1) Could it be that you're playing with it a lot more? I had that problem. Today my battery life seems on par with normal because I'm at work and thus not fiddling with my phone constantly. Check the battery usage in settings to see what's causing the drainage...

2) Works fine for me on Mac and Linux. Haven't tried Windows. I don't think this is an issue with the update, there's probably some other cause. Maybe try a different cable, or try to investigate the error message. Are you still being prompted by the phone to enter USB mode?

forenuser

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As far as i see it on my (unbranded, unrooted EU) Nexus S the 4.0.3 GUI is not faster or slower as the 2.3.6 GUI.

But i have to agree to bezly that ICS drains the battery approx. 30% quicker than GB did - on comparable usage and 2D acceleration not turned on.

No problems with the USB cable (with Vista).

bezly

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
1) Could it be that you're playing with it a lot more? I had that problem. Today my battery life seems on par with normal because I'm at work and thus not fiddling with my phone constantly. Check the battery usage in settings to see what's causing the drainage...

2) Works fine for me on Mac and Linux. Haven't tried Windows. I don't think this is an issue with the update, there's probably some other cause. Maybe try a different cable, or try to investigate the error message. Are you still being prompted by the phone to enter USB mode?

The main cause of battery drain is 'Android OS'.

The first day I had it I was definitely playing with it a lot but yesterday no more than usual. I started with a full recharge and it drained quickly. I did the factory reset last night and today seems a bit better so we'll see what happens. I've read on other forums that some users are experience the same problem.

I've tried 2 cables so far -- both with the same results. I plug it in and the USB mode screen sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't. If it is up and I hit enable USB mode it will sometimes go into that mode and sometimes go back to the home screen. If USB mode does stick it sometimes displays the drive icon on my mac, sometimes not. If it does display it I get an error when I try to connect to it. Totally erratic.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Wonder if it's an old Android bug showing up again. I hadn't seen it since 2.2/2.3.3 .... but whenever I had seen the Android OS showing as a top battery usage, I would turn on USB Debugging, found here: Settings/Applications/Development. (This of course is GB, not sure if ICS is different.)

The odd thing is, on my NS this old bug also made USB act wonky, too. But for some reason turning on USB Debugging fixed it and stopped Android OS from running away with my battery.

I'm not on ICS yet, so YMMV. But I'd say give it a go just to see if it stops the Android OS process from consuming your battery

NOW the technical bits:
Android OS is a "Catch all" of sorts. What I mean is, there seems to be a lot of OS functions that get grouped as "Android OS". (Sort of like svcservices process in Windows). By enable USB Debugging, it seems to detect when a process under Android OS goes awry and kills it. Usually would know because the phone would "bump/vibrate" twice when it did.

Again, all of this was on my phone and with the older GB releases. I have NO CLUE if it is the same issue on ICS. But your symptoms sound a lot like what I used to experience.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
This problem has been reported on the Galaxy Nexus as well on Verizon so it's apparently an ICS issue. Google should have it fixed soon though.

jezzza

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i had the update yesterday, and had the same problems. really sluggish etc. i checked available RAM and there was none. where as my nexus s had been fine on GB. i've virtually deleted half my apps to get it working again but should i do a factory reset??

or any other ideas??

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I had CM7 before the update, so I had to downgrade back to stock 2.3.6. I did the standard new-ROM process: wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache. I was back at stock Gingerbread.

Did the same thing before updating to ICS - wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache

Everything is working great, very fast and smooth, no battery issues, all radios work fine, connection to PC is working fine. No issues with anything.

I guess the rule of thumb is if you're doing the manual update, treat it like installing a new ROM, wipe data, cache, and Dalvik and you should be good.

hbc9999

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!

I have an unrooted Nexus S, bought in the UK without contract.

Yesterday, I got the System Update icon and clicking it told me that an ICS update was available for download. However, I was out at the time so didn't want to download right then and pressed Back.

Now, the System Update icon has gone and when i go to Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it tells me that my system is up to date.

Any idea how I get the update back!?

Thanks,

hbc

gfusato

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem !!
Thanks
GP

Hey guys,
Just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place!
I have an unrooted Nexus S, bought in the UK without contract.
Yesterday, I got the System Update icon and clicking it told me that an ICS update was available for download. However, I was out at the time so didn't want to download right then and pressed Back.
Now, the System Update icon has gone and when i go to Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates, it tells me that my system is up to date.
Any idea how I get the update back!?
Thanks,
hbc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC