Nexus S is the same or worse than Nexus One...

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung phones have problems with GPS

the processor isn't faster

theres no keyboard

both OLED screens (u can argue for SUPER Oled if you want)

no revolutionary features

Nexus S = marketing hype

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

theres no keyboard

Nexus S = marketing hype

GPS - with the amount of work that Samsung has put into trying to fix the GPS on the Galaxy S phones, it appears that it is probably a hardware issue. I would venture to guess that Samsung will avoid that provider in the future.

Processor - depends on which one they put in there. If is the Orion processor with a dual core, it will be blazing. The thing you need to look at is the GPU. The G2 has a 800mhz processor, but has a very powerful GPU, which in turn makes it perform above and beyond what many 1ghz processors are capable of doing.

Keyboard - some argue for it, others argue against it. Personal preference.

Screen - while the sAMOLED screen of the Galaxy S is a thing of beauty, it does a number to the battery life. It is very easy to view in about any lighting condition though and is incredibly thin and light.

Revolutionary features - how about coming with stock Gingerbread? No mucking up the OS with a manufacturer's half-baked UI. How about the dual core processor (if it comes with one as rumored)? Point is, we do not know what it is going to come with and what new juicy tidbits that Google is going to throw at us.

Nexus S = a great opportunity.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Why would it be the same or worse we know almost nothing about the phone. But samoled it is much better than the n1 screen the gpu in the hummingbirds is still the fastest on the market. And the cpu isn't bad. As far as gps who knows the cause could be hardware drivers or software but seeing it works on a few phones I doubt its hardware. It will make a great dev device

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I find keyboards to be a waste of space, and Android has some great soft keyboards, honestly I am getting this device even with just speculation detailing the thing.

sandplasma

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a problem with my Vibrant GPS, I hope the Nexus S gets delayed as much as possible so that I dont feel bad about purchasing it..I just bought the Vibrant 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it..except for the light weight and lack of froyo :(

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
undoubtedly this phone is going to blow the nexus one out of the water.
And idk why you think the hummingbird processor is slower than the snapdragon?
I thought the hummingbird was world renowned for being the best. In fact it is a direct brotheren to the a4 chip in the iPhone.

But if this phone is dual processor equipped then **** I think I might switch to T-Mobile haha. Or if they report one coming to sprint then hell yea I'm going to get one.
I wanted the n1 for att but by the time I was ready to purchase they were discontinued and I thought they were outdated.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

theres no keyboard

Nexus S = marketing hype

The Nexus one was pure. If the Nexus gets a Galaxy S brand it will be junk....elephant junk.....because G series get thouch wiz...an apple copy. Will the real nexus please stand up!

Johnny_Mac

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
A number of things to consider before bashing a Samsung made Nexus successor...

The Galaxy S line has the best hardware currently on the market. The GPS is a software issue NOT a hardware issue. My Fascinate took several minutes to get a lock. After rooting and installing a clean Android ROM GPS locks take only a couple of seconds and are far more accurate than they were on either my DInc or MotoDroid. GPS is NOT a hardware issue.

My real complaint is all the unthinking trolls *****ing about Touchwiz, Bing and other bloatware being on a Nexus 2 if Samsung made it. There would be no custom file system screw up like there is on the current Galaxy phones because it would be running stock Android. Use your heads, folks. The Nexus line is a full Google experience phone and used for development. It is pure Google Android in all it's vanilla goodness. If Google decided to have Sammy make it it would still be such a device just as the current Nexus does not have HTC Sense running on it. Frankly, I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people *****ing about Samsung hardware being inferior have never held one in their hand or used it for more than 5 minutes at the wireless store.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Only a gpu improvement. Samsung split that so other phones running the 530 PERFORM better because they they access more ram. I had a fascinate, it is a decent phone, but it had issues.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
A number of things to consider before bashing a Samsung made Nexus successor...

The Galaxy S line has the best hardware currently on the market. The GPS is a software issue NOT a hardware issue. My Fascinate took several minutes to get a lock. After rooting and installing a clean Android ROM GPS locks take only a couple of seconds and are far more accurate than they were on either my DInc or MotoDroid. GPS is NOT a hardware issue.

My real complaint is all the unthinking trolls *****ing about Touchwiz, Bing and other bloatware being on a Nexus 2 if Samsung made it. There would be no custom file system screw up like there is on the current Galaxy phones because it would be running stock Android. Use your heads, folks. The Nexus line is a full Google experience phone and used for development. It is pure Google Android in all it's vanilla goodness. If Google decided to have Sammy make it it would still be such a device just as the current Nexus does not have HTC Sense running on it. Frankly, I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people *****ing about Samsung hardware being inferior have never held one in their hand or used it for more than 5 minutes at the wireless store.

Lol...we havent even seen this device in person yet, and there are people bashing it already. We have no idea what is on this device until we get some solid evident on specs. This whole issue to me is pretty much people are getting misinformed by a group of people that are not satisfied with Samsung products. In terms, have a bad impression on the Samsung device before they even laid hand on it. That and this is a whole brand thing. HTC is like the Iphone of Android. HTC is just cooler than Samsung. In the end, if you guys hate Samsung, then just dont buy it.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha, nexus, a galaxy s series. Get real. Maybe it becomes tangible, but for google to bend over and let the nexus be a galaxy s? Any thing is possible...but with the poor reputation of the galaxy series, it would be another bad idea. Pics and other miners have been released, we can all love or hate it as much as we like.

Johnny_Mac

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Only a gpu improvement. Samsung split that so other phones running the 530 PERFORM better because they they access more ram. I had a fascinate, it is a decent phone, but it had issues.
Please share with us the issues you had with your Fascinate. As my experience has been good I can't help but be curious why you didn't like yours.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha, nexus, a galaxy s series. Get real. Maybe it becomes tangible, but for google to bend over and let the nexus be a galaxy s? Any thing is possible...but with the poor reputation of the galaxy series, it would be another bad idea. Pics and other miners have been released, we can all love or hate it as much as we like.

The Nexus isn't a Galaxy S series phone. It's a Samsung phone with an 'S' in the name, that looks kinda like a Galaxy S series phone.

And no, that was not sarcasm. We don't know whether this will be marketed as a Galaxy S phone, it probably won't, and even if it was, it wouldn't matter much; with Google involved it would probably turn out to be a better phone regardless of previous issues with the Galaxy S line.

Hate Samsung all you want guys... But Google has decent judgement. It may not turn out as everyone's dream device, but it certainly won't be worse than the Nexus One.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I like samsung, don't get me wrong, but the nexus S? Geuss that explains the unicorn. I would still want it regardless, but it is a let down if it is in any way associated with the S series.....doesn't exactly scream original does it. Besides I am tired of googles adds in every pervasive corner of the OS.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Please share with us the issues you had with your Fascinate. As my experience has been good I can't help but be curious why you didn't like yours.

You got a good one. The ram being partitioned made it lag often, and mine had aweful connection issues, the wifi on it was a joke. Doesn't mean I hate it, in fact I loved it. Just wish my experiance was better:)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
according to the leak of the Samsung Elite firmware, Samsung is still using the RFS file system with Android 2.3. My enthusiasm for the Nexus S just went down...waaaay down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol