12-08-2010 03:34 PM
67 123
tools
    What I'm worried about is if Samsung will release a second version of the Nexus S with a dual-core. Androidandme's article a few weeks ago (here: http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...dy-in-testing/) had this to say:

"Testers with access to the Nexus S have reported seeing two versions of the phone which look fairly similar but the old one is single-core and the new one is dual-core."

It's obvious now that the leaked Best Buy specs from Phandroid last month were more or less true, but is there a dual-core Nexus S floating around out there still in testing perhaps? And if so, will it ever be released? Or was the dual-core actually a Galaxy S2, as rumored by Elder (here: Twitter).

Thoughts?
    12-06-2010 04:31 PM
    If it had dual core or whatever uber processor, were you going to play Crysis on it or what, geez. Current phones are already blazing fast. You US nerds should chill out and go for vacation.
    These phones are mainly for new users.

I don't see any reason to go for another phone for years from my HTC desire.
    12-06-2010 04:45 PM
    It seems as if the Nexus S is just a polished Nexus One. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you were expecting. I love my Nexus One, and although I don't have any major problems with it, the small things, like touchscreen accuracy, screen size, FF cam, internal storage, motion sensing accuracy, etc, can add up, and if this phone fixes all those problems, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't get it
    12-06-2010 05:11 PM
    Just because it said "None" under the expandable memory doesn't mean it doesn't come with a slot for it. It just means they aren't bundling a microSD in with the phone.

16gigs of apps, music, photos, video is more than enough. I don't use that much on my Vibrant. They probably don't wanna give away SD cards when the internal storage is fine.
    12-06-2010 05:21 PM
    I was originally planning on getting this and selling my MT4G but now I'm seriously thinking otherwise. Why would I give up my MT4G? This is the best android device I've ever had. 1Ghz 2nd Gen Snapdragon, AMAZING battery life, superb build quality, 786mb ram, expandable SD card slot, customizable notification light, hardware buttons, and a track pad. There's more things I could list that even the MT4G has over the Nexus S but everyone gets the point.

I'm just very disappointed with this device especially with the 512mb ram and no expandable SD Card slot. 16GB isnt even enough for some of our photos and songs. If it was 32GB or 64GB that would be different, but 16GB is definitely not enough.

Also, don't forget that other dual core devices are coming out next year and the heavily rumored Galaxy S2 which will definitely support a dual core processor. Interesting decisions made by Google.
    12-06-2010 05:54 PM
    I was thinking about selling my MT4G and get this one but I think I will wait a bit till all the reviews are in from major sites.

One annoying thing about this phone that I just noticed on the pictures is that the place for the home-menu-back-search buttons are completely different than most android phones. I've used HTC Desire and now the MT4G and I am kinda annoyed about this change. My fingers are just used to going into certain parts on the phone when I want to hit home for example or hit the back button. I didn't even have to look at the button before I hit it, now I have to get used to the buttons once again.

I feel like this was just a last minute thing for Google. It doesn't look too planned to me. Like in the last minute, let's push this one or something. I mean come on Google, HTC is a million times better than Samsung. Samsung has known GPS issues, I hope this phone won't because I really want to like it and get it.
    12-06-2010 06:14 PM
    Wheres the Dual-Core?
    12-06-2010 06:22 PM
    Wheres the Dual-Core?
    I'm hoping that it will be in the next unlocked version for the rest of us. Maybe this T-mobile version will be exclusive to them but all of us can get a dual-core next gen model with the radios for Canada too. Could be the phone that has been rumored floating around.
    12-06-2010 06:56 PM
    The Nexus S looks great. Visually it is better than the Nexus One. The only issue with the device is that my Droid X has better specs.
    12-06-2010 07:22 PM
    After my initial reaction from this morning and reading more comments tonight, I'm on the fence about it. I love my Nexus One and maybe with 2.3 I'll be happy enough until next year when new models arrive.
    12-06-2010 07:28 PM
    After my initial reaction from this morning and reading more comments tonight, I'm on the fence about it. I love my Nexus One and maybe with 2.3 I'll be happy enough until next year when new models arrive.
    trust me i think you will
    this thing offers no real updates to the n1
    maybe itll be a bit snappier
    and have a front camera

but no hspa
    no dual core
    no sd slot(so if you like having alot of music and whatnot....its a fail)
    12-06-2010 07:48 PM
    Looking more forward to 2.3 now that I know more about the Nexus S. It's unfortunate since I was looking to upgrading my N1.
    12-06-2010 08:06 PM
    I'm hoping that it will be in the next unlocked version for the rest of us. Maybe this T-mobile version will be exclusive to them but all of us can get a dual-core next gen model with the radios for Canada too. Could be the phone that has been rumored floating around.
    it would be awesome. But what are the chances? I guess all of us could dream
    12-06-2010 08:07 PM
    Would love to use the Nexus S. Go Google!
    12-06-2010 08:29 PM
    It's getting harder and harder for me to scoop this up.
    I mainly just wanted a Nexus phone with FFC...

But I'm not going to waste my money on a device that is only an incremental upgrade just for that. I went from G1 to N1. That was a big leap.

N1 to NS really isn't. It's like going from iPhone to iPhone 3G. Not worth it.

I guess I'll stick with my N1 w/ Gingerbread until they stop supporting it.
    12-06-2010 08:41 PM
    i must say i was expecting better stats. they could have gone all out, maybe they were in a rush.
    12-06-2010 09:03 PM
    I think It's just a concept device. Soon to be used by developers.
    The internal storage and ff camera should be a must have in all future devices. Why no removable storage? Maybe they just forgot about it ;-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    12-06-2010 09:06 PM
    i starting to wonder due to the non-impressiveness of this nexus s, if maybe the nexus s is just a serious of side nexus,s like the samsung thing. and maybe the real nexus two just isnt comin yet. idk. just a trhought,maybe theres nexus s and then a follow up nexus two, sigh.
    12-06-2010 09:33 PM
    i starting to wonder due to the non-impressiveness of this nexus s, if maybe the nexus s is just a serious of side nexus,s like the samsung thing. and maybe the real nexus two just isnt comin yet. idk. just a trhought,maybe theres nexus s and then a follow up nexus two, sigh.

hm good point it is a nexus "s"

maybe its just a filler phone until the nexus "2"
    12-06-2010 11:19 PM
    i was looking forward to this phone, it was looking to be the phone that would replace my Nexus One......however, no HSPA+ and no Dual-core is a deal breaker!! plus i want to keep my photos and no SD card slot would suck! I REALLY hope the Dual Core version is true and comes out when the other dual core phones come out, but for now, im keeping my Nexus One....i just dont think selling the Nexus One and then paying an extra 200 bucks or so for just a front facing camera and a worse GPS radio is worth it!
    12-07-2010 12:08 AM
    Yup
    12-07-2010 12:28 AM
    Just because it said "None" under the expandable memory doesn't mean it doesn't come with a slot for it. It just means they aren't bundling a microSD in with the phone.

16gigs of apps, music, photos, video is more than enough. I don't use that much on my Vibrant. They probably don't wanna give away SD cards when the internal storage is fine.
    I was wondering when someone was gonna interrupt the ***** session and mention that. To those that are clamoring for dual core: What exactly are you missing out on? Were you hoping on running a mobile Adobe Suite on your phone or something?
    12-07-2010 05:56 AM
    If you look at the comparison, many of the desirable features are actually 2.3 features. I see no reason to drop another $500+ when my Evo is going to do everything this phone does a couple of milliseconds slower.
    12-07-2010 07:03 AM
    It is pretty disappointing in this respect. I was expecting a 720p screen and a Tegra 2.
    12-07-2010 07:09 AM
    The more I read, the more I'm starting to believe that Gingerbread is the culprit for not getting better specs. Of course, what I'm reading are opinions and no other facts from any sources. But still, it appears that Google wanted the Gingerbread experience to be a good one and perhaps it needed to keep some of the specs for screen resolution and single core cpu. Honeycomb is designed for tablets, which makes me think it's better designed for higher resolutions and possibly dual core cpu's.
    12-07-2010 08:05 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD