No Removable Storage (read: MicroSD)

dcviperboy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I compared the Nexus S to my phone (EVO) and the Nexus one on google's site. It shows the Nexus S has NO expandable storage, where both the EVO and the N1 show MicroSD. I thought it was great to include the 16gb of ROM (storage space), but the inability to expand this is a huge downfall. As the price of MicroSDs continue to fall, this will become a more apparent issue in making this your "all-in-one" device (i.e. not an ipod, phone, gps, etc being carried separately). I hate to make an Apple comparison here, but this is one criticism of the iPhone. (I think they only have 32 and 64?)

So, is 16GB enough for most people? Would you rather have NO internal memory and a MicroSD slot?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So I compared the Nexus S to my phone (EVO) and the Nexus one on google's site. It shows the Nexus S has NO expandable storage, where both the EVO and the N1 show MicroSD. I thought it was great to include the 16gb of ROM (storage space), but the inability to expand this is a huge downfall. As the price of MicroSDs continue to fall, this will become a more apparent issue in making this your "all-in-one" device (i.e. not an ipod, phone, gps, etc being carried separately). I hate to make an Apple comparison here, but this is one criticism of the iPhone. (I think they only have 32 and 64?)

So, is 16GB enough for most people? Would you rather have NO internal memory and a MicroSD slot?

I don't think the lack of the SD card slot is that big of a deal (coming from an iPhone here). However, given that most current Android powered devices, not just phones, have a SD card slot, I think it should've been included. Since I'll be coming from an iPhone 4, it's not that big of deal to me personally though.

lukesvenn

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I post this in another thread but "exactly how does this "no expandable SD" work when one of the main key for 2.2 was to move app to SD card." why give us a feature and then take it away? is this samsung doing?

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the lack of the SD card slot is that big of a deal (coming from an iPhone here). However, given that most current Android powered devices, not just phones, have a SD card slot, I think it should've been included. Since I'll be coming from an iPhone 4, it's not that big of deal to me personally though.

I agree, not having it is not a big deal. However, only including 16gb is a big deal. If you are going to no include expandable memory, at least provide enough built in.

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It's a pretty huge issue with me. My music library doesn't take up much space but my pictures do and 16 GB is not acceptable when all other phones have 32 GB expandable slots.

iPwn

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Far too little memory for me. My amount of music I like to take with me is already about 32gb, so no way is this enough.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
1. Cheap. Samsung wanted to make a slimmer/lighter/cheaper to manufacture phone and decided to lose the microSD port. This device already takes quite a step backwards from the N1 in terms of build quality. This line of thinking by Samsung is essentially the same rationale Palm followed when deciding to ape Apple for their WebOS devices instead of following the BB/Android model of expandable storage.

2.Lazy. See above. Also a very Palm & Apple-like move on Samsung's part. microSDXC is coming soon and will permit capacities up to 2TB. 16GB will be a joke soon as we have more and more immersive 3D games with sizable installs.

3. Greedy. Being sold unlocked with no contract is a major selling point for this device....so Sammy figures that deep-pocketed users on the bleeding edge will buy the refreshed model in 6 months' time running Honeycomb with a dual-core CPU and 32gb storage internally.

4. It's also possible that there is something with security (both pirating apps & the NFC module) but the above $-related reasons are far more likely. As I mentioned on another thread, I am worried what this will do to convince other manufacturers to stop ditching expandable storage in an attempt to iOS-ify Android. Hopefully it'll be an even bigger flop than the N1 was. It could also be a harbinger of an eventual move to "app streaming" all of your bigger apps & games from the cloud when 4G becomes more prevalent. Of course this will consume more data and drive up users' data usage charges...which is precisely what the carriers want to happen.

Even if I was dying for a Nexus S (I'm not) the lack of 32Gb+ storage would be a huge deal-breaker for me. Google & Samsung should have just released a special limited-run unlocked Galaxy S running a vanilla build of Gingerbread and been done with it.

RichieHD#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
What I said in another topic about the site listing "None" next to removable media:
forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/47174-nexus-one-vs-nexus-s-kind-disappointed-3.html#post459227

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
With DroidX we have 8gb dedicated just for apps. Have no need for storage card and 100plus apps barely cracked 1gb
I post this in another thread but "exactly how does this "no expandable SD" work when one of the main key for 2.2 was to move app to SD card." why give us a feature and then take it away? is this samsung doing?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Meh!

I've still got 11gig left on my 16gig MicroSD card in my Nexus one.

I can never be bothered to unload my pictures, and I have TV shows and Music on there for months that I have never even watched or listened to.

So I call BS on those that say they have to carry 32GB of music with them all the time. You don't listen to 32GB of music. You just carry it around as sort of a mine is bigger than yours sort of thing.

Still, I'd like to have a removable card.

Not for apps, because let's face it, install to MicroSD has not been a rip roaring success. Developers are slow to do it, only a few phones really need it, and that is because they were under-specd.

Maybe Google thinks this is not really necessary on a Dev phone, but it seems to be the easiest way to get new stuff into the phone fast. (OTOH, it has 802.11N, which is probably approaching the same effective speed as moving ROMs via MicroSD.)

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've still got 11gig left on my 16gig MicroSD card in my Nexus one.

I can never be bothered to unload my pictures, and I have TV shows and Music on there for months that I have never even watched or listened to.

So I call BS on those that say they have to carry 32GB of music with them all the time. You don't listen to 32GB of music. You just carry it around as sort of a mine is bigger than yours sort of thing.

Still, I'd like to have a removable card.

Not for apps, because let's face it, install to MicroSD has not been a rip roaring success. Developers are slow to do it, only a few phones really need it, and that is because they were under-specd.

Maybe Google thinks this is not really necessary on a Dev phone, but it seems to be the easiest way to get new stuff into the phone fast. (OTOH, it has 802.11N, which is probably approaching the same effective speed as moving ROMs via MicroSD.)

I for one have a 32gb iphone i have 20ish gigs of music
and i dont listen to 20 gigs in the car or whatever....but it is nice to have the option to listen to anything in my whole library at any given moment
that is why i like having the space for it.thats why people have 500gig ipods and whatnot because they dont want to be in the situation where theyre like
"o i want to listen to the...(insert album name here) o crap i dont have it uploaded on my (insert device here)

i've been keeping up with the nexus s rumors and i am MAJORLY disappointed

not because of dual core(i can live with that)
not because of HSPA+(although i prefer it its not that bad that its not in)
BUT THE LACK OF A FREAKING SD SLOT...WHAT!?!??!
they better come out with a 32gb or something with more than 16gb or else a bunch of people arent going to buy this thing

its freaking gimped
this phone will be out of date in a matter of 2-6 months

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
i simply cannot wait any longer

unlesss they release a 32gb of the nexus s im prolly gonna get a n1 and wait for the next nexus

3g on tmobile with the n1
is certainly better than edge on tmobile im currently getting on my iphone

5n4r35

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Is everyone forgetting another feature introduced in Froyo? Streaming of your library to your phone. If they really integrate this into Gingerbread and make a really easy and rock solid processes then you wont have to take any of your music with you when you go. Just leave your Computer on at home.(I already do anyway.) and you can stream your library everywhere. That leave 16gigs for pics, movies, apps. I'm sure Google will add services to move pics and movies you record directly to you home computer where ever you are. So really what you got is 16gigs for apps. I think that's enough.

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Is everyone forgetting another feature introduced in Froyo? Streaming of your library to your phone. If they really integrate this into Gingerbread and make a really easy and rock solid processes then you wont have to take any of your music with you when you go. Just leave your Computer on at home.(I already do anyway.) and you can stream your library everywhere. That leave 16gigs for pics, movies, apps. I'm sure Google will add services to move pics and movies you record directly to you home computer where ever you are. So really what you got is 16gigs for apps. I think that's enough.
well it doesnt have hspa+ so speeds arent as fast as they can be
and what if you dont have signal?
i drive north(i live in austin) and theres a whole area where i dont have internet signal

serpico

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The additional storage is not just to carry your entire media library to view or play when you want to, it's the point of having not to sync your phone to your pc every time to do so.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
The problem that everyone seems to have with this is not if 16gb is enough or not....it's the option of expanding their memory eventhough they dont use all of it. I for one like the option to have more than less. We will see how this work out once it's finally out.