View Poll Results: Are you getting the Nexus S

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!!!! What kind of stupid question is that?

28 40.58%
  • Prolly when it support other network (AT&T, etc)

13 18.84%
  • Eh, wake me up in Q1 2011 when the dual-cores phones come.

19 27.54%
  • I can't care less for this. Just give me Gingerbread already.

9 13.04%
12-13-2010 01:35 PM
53 123
tools
    So now we know what the Nexus S is pretty much all about? After reading many of the posts and comments, there are alot of mixed feelings toward this device. So i figured to just run a poll to see which one of you guys planning to get this when it launch?
    12-07-2010 09:36 AM
    Im still getting it. I was torn between the G2 and MT4G and this seems like a mashup of both minus the 4G, lol. Either of the three phones would be a huge upgrade honestly.
    12-07-2010 11:07 AM
    I might get this if it's available on AT&T. There seem to be many hate for this device because of this and that. Coming from a Blackberry, this is a big leap for me
    12-07-2010 11:53 AM
    When it is compatible with Telus in Canada I will most likely be getting it.
    12-07-2010 12:50 PM
    I'm definitely getting it, one way or another.
    12-07-2010 02:50 PM
    I want to like the Nexus S, but given the unfortunate decision of Google/Samsung to not optimize it for HSPA+ with Tmobile, which is being touted as "4G" and the direction they (and all carriers) are expanding into; given not necessarily the lack of a dual-core, but the fact that dual-cores will start coming as early as February 2011; given the lack of expandable microSD slot (again, a baffling decision when you consider one of the best things about Android devices is the ability to expand storage); given this strike against NFC, which is one of the [few] things that sets the Nexus S apart from the current market of phones (read here: NFC in Gingerbread is Crippled! Is this just a glorified Bar Code scanner?); and given the slew of other more minor but still detracting decisions (like no LED), I can't validate spending $529 dollars for a new phone.

I am currently an owner of a Samsung Vibrant, so perhaps the similarities factor into my decision as well.
    ScotterMonkey likes this.
    12-07-2010 04:06 PM
    Let me ask Phil... but as of now I really like this device. Just that 2.3 and the design and the best specs on the market... Just like the Nexus One, the Nexus S will be around for another good year or maybe even 2. As of now though, I am definitely leaning on purchasing one, considering I don't have THAT much music.
    12-07-2010 05:15 PM
    I'll get it I can gather up the money from somewhere, I've been wanting to root my N1 for while now but I've been waiting for the N2/this to come out.
    12-07-2010 05:15 PM
    I currently have a vibrant and this phone has everything I want on my phone. It has flash for the rear camera and it has a front facing camera. Plus it comes with 2.3 and added technology. The fact that its a google phone makes it even better. I like the touchwiz ui but I like the fact of not having to wait so long for updates or added bloatware. I think I will strongly consider this phone. So what if it doesnt have a dual core processor, the lack of sd slot is a bit odd though, i think it might be there just not come with a micro sd preinstalled. Either way, I think it seems like a great phone. I think the vibrant is fast enough. Wouldve liked hspa+ but oh well. ill wait a bit though. If the galaxy s 2 comes out with all the rumored specs it has, which I highly doubt considering each carrier got a different version of the current galaxy s, I might look into that. But for now, the nexus s is just right.
    12-07-2010 05:30 PM
    I'm getting the Nexus S as my first android phone, and while the lack of expandable memory is disappointing it's not a deal-breaker. But no LED notifications? What's the deal with that!?
    ScotterMonkey likes this.
    12-07-2010 05:35 PM
    I'll get one about February 2011 when they will start showing up on Craigslist for $200 less than the new price.
    12-07-2010 07:01 PM
    More evidence we should hang tight before jumping on Nexus S?

Promise of something better from Samsung in Feb?

Could it be the Galaxy S2?

Thoughts?
    12-07-2010 08:33 PM
    If I Could Take The Epic Keybord, And The Beautiful SAMOLED(Yes Its Does Have One) Screen on The Nexus S(Also The Perk Of Being The First With Every New Android Opperating System) And Merge Them Together, I Would. Then I'd Have The perfect phone Until The End Of Next Year.
    12-07-2010 08:38 PM
    I know the Ns is missing some features that would make it by far the best out there but I am still impressed. Guess we are just taking baby steps...I think I am more happy about buying it so I dont have to worry too much about updates. Weak reason but what can you do?
    12-07-2010 09:01 PM
    Three words:
    fastboot oem unlock
    12-07-2010 09:08 PM
    Three words:
    fastboot oem unlock
    What's this mean?
    12-07-2010 10:11 PM
    What's this mean?
    My Bad. Should have explained.

It's the command to fully unlock the bootloader on the Nexus One, so you can edit the OS any way you like.

The command may be different on the Nexus S, but you won't have to hack your way into it because the manufacturer has the hardware locked, like almost every other phone.
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    12-07-2010 10:17 PM
    I know the Ns is missing some features that would make it by far the best out there but I am still impressed. Guess we are just taking baby steps...I think I am more happy about buying it so I dont have to worry too much about updates. Weak reason but what can you do?
    Exactly. I have the nexus one because I know updates will arrive quicker than other manufacturers. I don't want to be waiting guessing if it will be updated or not. Worth spending the money for unlocked. I'll keep it until Google stops updating it.
    12-07-2010 11:23 PM
    I will get the Nexus S if my brother comes home from the US on January...
    otherwise I'll just get the LG Optimus One and save the money for the next best android.
    12-07-2010 11:39 PM
    More evidence we should hang tight before jumping on Nexus S?

Promise of something better from Samsung in Feb?

Could it be the Galaxy S2?

Thoughts?
    Pretty weird for them to post something like that. They are downplaying the Nexus for what im thinking they are referring to the S2, when google just announced the thing yesterday. this all comes down to who want the best/latest software vs top of the line hardware.

Wouldnt it be cool if we can buy phones like computer where there is a basic spec and just pay more to upgrade the spec u desire. Sound sort of dumb, but just throwing some thought out there.
    12-08-2010 12:06 AM
    I can deal with that... but the N1 was so well thought out. Google and HTC thought of EVERYTHING. Build quality, hardware, and accessories. I need to know about accessories. I really am attached to having the docks for my N1 and would want comparable docks for my next phone. That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten rid of my N1 already...otherwise I rarely keep phones longer than 6-8 months.
    12-08-2010 12:12 AM
    I think the real disappointment is not in the lack of dual-core vs. single-core, but the baffling (not so baffling, really, considering I feel the Google/Sammy partnership came mid-year during or after the Galaxy S success, and they both rushed to get the next Nexus with Gingerbread out before Xmas) decision to not support HSPA+. Considering all carriers are pushing and moving toward "4G" for the year 2011 (which is coming in 3 weeks), and that some handsets out currently feature it already, makes it difficult to drop $529 dollars on a phone that isn't future-proof into the year 2011, at least. Along with the other minor detractors (eg. lack of SD slot, 480p HD, NFC seemingly only a glorified bar code scanner, dropping the LED) it just seems like a step back, and doesn't live up to the Nexus branding.
    12-08-2010 07:08 AM
    Let me ask Phil... but as of now I really like this device. Just that 2.3 and the design and the best specs on the market... Just like the Nexus One, the Nexus S will be around for another good year or maybe even 2. As of now though, I am definitely leaning on purchasing one, considering I don't have THAT much music.
    Really best design and specs on the market...I dont think so, not with only a 5mp camera and no led notification. That and its being made by samsung which is a dealbreaker for me.
    12-08-2010 07:16 AM
    Hey everybody um new to the site...I really want the nexus s have an htc hero right now so tired of it I need some opinons should I get the nexus s I know about a lot of stuff its missing but overall it would still be a big upgrade from the hero. I knw da dual cores coming out next year but I don't really want play the waiting game all android phones will get old so wat should I do u guys? Please Help
    12-08-2010 08:07 AM
    I really want the Nexus S, I've been with blackberry forever. I went with a G1 when it came out and I hated it due to it's lack of features and just buggy Android....

Coming from blackberry, the biggest deal breaker is the LED.. I've learned to rely on it a lot and I do think i would miss it... Going to such a high end phone I want to make sure I make the right choice.

My contract will be available to full upgrade in March so I think I will wait it out and see what is out by then.. I've made it this long on my now obsolete 8900 hardware I can stick it out a couple of months...

I also would add one of the biggest selling points on this for me is the "Pure Google" experience and getting updates first... But from what I have read that can be gained by rooting and using other roms.
    12-08-2010 09:02 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD