12-09-2010 10:52 AM
35 12
tools
    Yeah the nexus has kept it's value surprisingly well. The cheapest I've seen them go for on craigslist is 350
    12-08-2010 10:50 PM
    so you know the HUGE paragraph i wrote up above in my earlier reply?? forget it.....i actually talked myself out of buying the phone and waiting! LOL! sorry for the wasted reply!
    12-08-2010 11:07 PM
    so you know the HUGE paragraph i wrote up above in my earlier reply?? forget it.....i actually talked myself out of buying the phone and waiting! LOL! sorry for the wasted reply!
    Ok. But just to correct one point, IIRC... the GPU won't help with the OS lag, since Gingerbread doesn't yet support hardware acceleration. Just FYI.
    12-08-2010 11:14 PM
    Yeah Im not overly impressed w/the specs plus it's on T-mobile if they come out with a dual core version on Verizon then we'll talk. But with so many great phones coming next year I'll wait.
    12-09-2010 12:25 AM
    I'm keeping my Nexus One until there's a dual core with HSPA+ and an SD card slot. There's really only the front-facing camera that's much of an upgrade over the Nexus One.
    12-09-2010 06:49 AM
    When Google came out with the Nexus One, they set some pretty high benchmarks and expectations. The hardware was the first of it's kind, and changed the game as far as how we look at Android compared to other platforms. That being said, Samsung very obviously wanted to rush this phone, and especially to show off the curved display. In this day and age, NOT having expandable memory is unacceptable, and the screen quality we have come to expect from Samsung is not present. Personally, the Nexus S has no draw for me.
    12-09-2010 09:31 AM
    Not me. This phone appears to be a Vibrant with several missing hardware features. I bought the Vibrant on opening day so I'll wait until my next upgrade window rolls around. Something better will be available by then...
    12-09-2010 09:55 AM
    I'm definitely planning on getting the Nexus S. I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet but hopefully Android Central will give me one.

The think about the nexus is that your guaranteed to get the latest updates and newest things from google. Also Samsung makes an excellent screen. The Super AMOLED, the front facing camera, and the 16GB of internal storage are more than enough for me to switch to the new Nexus.
    12-09-2010 10:30 AM
    I was on the fence on Monday when announced, now I am leaning towards getting one. I currently have a Nexus One of course.
    My reasoning and answers to the common complaints, although all the complaints at some level are valid:

• dual-core
      I of course like everyone else, was disappointed. However, I have played with every Galaxy S phone out there in the stores, and they feel subjectively faster on every account over my N1, by a considerable margin. I think the Nexus S speed wise, and Galaxy S in general, will easily get us through the next year with Gingerbread. No one really (a few folks who have rooted 2.2 ROMs on Galaxy S phones) has had 2.2 on these phones, nevermind 2.3. My assumption is out-of-the box, this thing will crank.And do we have any clue from the new API's that Gingerbread is optimized/takes advantage of more then one core? Honeycomb will surely....
    • no microSD slot
      I have a 16gig card in my Nexus One, and never swap it out. 16gig is enough, even with lots of music/video, as I sync/swap media often enough from my home computer, and am rarely away from home for long. Those that travel, and use the media player heavily, I can see your problem with this though...
    • no "4G" (HSPDA+)
      When I most use data at a high level, I am usually home (Wifi). When out, email/facebook/twitter/ and static web pages, along with typical app usages. So this for me weould have been a nice to have, not a dealbreaker. 7.2Mbps should be enough for me for awhile.
    • no Bluetooth 3.0
      I seem to be happy enough with Bluetooth 2.1 since it supports A2DP stereo. What are we missing with not having 3.0? Anyone know?

Now, what it has I like that feel my N1 lacks, and why I am upgrading:
    • S-AMOLED screen
      I am sick and tired of not being able to see my N1 screen when outside in the sun, even w/ brightnewss at 100%. Also, from playing with Galaxy S phones in the store, the capticative touchscreen seem way more responsive and accurate over the N1 screen.
    • Larger screen
      Looking forward to more screen real estate. Especially for typing!!
    • Better GPU
      Not just for games, but apps like Google Maps 5.0 which will use vector and assume your GPUon your phone will render the map images.
    • camera (stiil & video)
      The camera is better on the Galaxy S phones then on the N1, even with the latest Cyanogenmod 6.1 release. And I am sure this phone will have HD video recording (720p) like the other Galaxy S phones from the Features page on the Nexus S page: http://www.google.com/nexus/#/features
    • front-facing camera
      I do a lot of video chating with my parents on their home Mac, and and hopefully there will be more Android apps that can take advantage of the camera for this and interoperate with Skype/iChat or something. Buying for the future here, at least until 2012 and the next Google phone comes out

The curved screen I'll just have to wait and see in the hand. Most reviews so far out there have said it's nice. ANd I can only assume the Nexus S will be just has hackable/rootable/ability to load custom ROM's that the N1 had. I think that was part of the deal with Google and Samsung, I have to assume that since this is the Google Android Development phone. If that's true, can't wait to see the Cyanogenmod team get their hands on the Gingerbread and the Nexus S!!! Or Paul O'Brien (Modaco) and others of course!
    12-09-2010 10:42 AM
    I was on the fence on Monday when announced, now I am leaning towards getting one. I currently have a Nexus One of course.
    My reasoning and answers to the common complaints, although all the complaints at some level are valid:

• dual-core
      I of course like everyone else, was disappointed. However, I have played with every Galaxy S phone out there in the stores, and they feel subjectively faster on every account over my N1, by a considerable margin. I think the Nexus S speed wise, and Galaxy S in general, will easily get us through the next year with Gingerbread. And do we have any clue from the new API's that Gingerbread is optimized/takes advantage of more then one core? Honeycomb will surely....
    • no microSD slot
      I have a 16gig card in my Nexus One, and never swap it out. 16gig is enough, even with lots of music/video, as I sync/swap media often enough from my home computer, and am rarely away from home for long. Those that travel, and use the media player heavily, I can see your problem with this though...
    • no "4G" (HSPDA+)
      When I most use data at a high level, I am usually home (Wifi). When out, email/facebook/twitter/ and static web pages, along with typical app usages. So
      this for me weould have been a nice to have, not a dealbreaker. 7.2Mbps should be enough for me for awhile.
    • no Bluetooth 3.0
      I seem to be happy enough with Bluetooth 2.1 since it supports A2DP stereo. What are we missing with not having 3.0? Anyone know?

Now, what it has I like that feel my N1 lacks, and why I am upgrading:
    • S-AMOLED screen
      I am sick and tired of not being able to see my N1 screen when outside in the sun, even w/ brightnewss at 100%. Also, from playing with Galaxy S phones in the store, the capticative touchscreen seem way more responsive and accurate
      over the N1 screen.
    • Larger screen
      Looking forward to more screen real estate. Especially for typing!!
    • Better GPU
      Not just for games, but apps like Google Maps 5.0 which will use vector and assume your GPUon your phone will render the map images.
    • camera (stiil & video)
      The camera is better on the Galaxy S phones then on the N1, even with the latest Cyanogenmod 6.1 release. And I am sure this phone will have HD video recording (720p) like the other Galaxy S phones from the Features page on the
      Nexus S page: http://www.google.com/nexus/#/features
    • front-facing camera
      I do a lot of video chating with my parents on their home Mac, and and hopefully there will be more Android apps that can take advantage of the camera for this and interoperate with Skype/iChat or something. Buying for the future here, at least until 2012 and the next Google phone comes out

The curved screen I'll just have to wait and see in the hand. Most reviews so far out there have said it's nice.
    Also remember that HSPA is backwards compatible. So even tho the Nexus S is 3G, if you're in a 4G area you get a speed boost in your phones speed. So your not completely missing out on the better network (cough cough better than Sprint).
    12-09-2010 10:52 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD