Nexus S compared to mytouch 4G

flan

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: memory. The biggest thing more memory gets you is not the ability to run apps that require a lot of memory. Because most apps I've seen don't use hundreds of megabytes of memory. It's the number of apps running at the same time without having to be killed and restored.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Finally, someone agrees about the ugliness of the MT4G. I would have gotten that thing a long time ago if it looked more like a Desire HD. Anyways, the screen on the Nexus S is always a strong point. High contrast ratio and deep blacks make the new UI of Gingerbread really stand out.

To me, most of the mytouch phones are ugly. I also don't like how they feel cheap in the hand (they 4 being the exception), but that's just my opinion. As far as loading roms goes, I really wouldn't want to have to do that to a brand new phone. I think I'm just one of "those people" that likes stock android.

jessb

Dec 14, 2010
www.bestdroidcases.com
To me, most of the mytouch phones are ugly. I also don't like how they feel cheap in the hand (they 4 being the exception), but that's just my opinion. As far as loading roms goes, I really wouldn't want to have to do that to a brand new phone. I think I'm just one of "those people" that likes stock android.

I agree that the myTouch specs are nicer. But it just doesn't look as nice as the Nexus S.

-----------------------------
Nexus S Rocks

JoseN305

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
The MT4G has all the featues I want. HSPA+, front camera and 720p recording but I dont like the look of it. If the G2 had a ffc, wouldve bought it without a doubt. So now, I look forward to the next HSPA+, ffc, 720p phone coming to tmobile.

Nexus S fell short even tho it looks really nice.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S looks nice if you're into the shiny plastic look... shame it didn't follow the Nexus One design more...

falconeight

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The Mytouch G4 is the best android phone out right now hands down. I still will bought a Nexus S because I hate carriers having say in when and how I get updates. I also have issue with having to root my phone to get rid of crap apps that I don't want or will never use.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've got them both here. If what you want is fast, stock, and a bare canvas get the Nexus S.

If you want something with more polish, better network speeds, and extra RAM to run it all very smoothly, get the MT4G.

If you happen to LIKE customized, friendly user interfaces (and don't pay attention to all the hate -- decide for yourself), the MyTouch 4G has the nicest one out there IMO. I love it, and use all the "crap" on it and just have fun.

Either choice is a great one, but in the end you have to make it.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have both and I would vote for the nexus s. I get about two megabytes town on the nexus. This is slower then the hspa+ in the mytouch but honestly anything over 1meg is hard to notice in a phone. The nexus has a nicer screen and I really like the feel of the phone. I also find the battery life to be better. The bottom line though is that both phones are great.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I remembering buying a MT3G back in October of 2009. The TMobile reps assured me it would receive the 2.0/2.1 update soon. It took them a full year before it received a full update. After trying out a Nexus One, and being impatient, bought a Nexus One in March lol.

Here are the key things that tilted me in favor of the Nexus S over the MT4G:

-Vanilla Android: I played with the MT4G in the store, and I just couldn't appreciate the Sense+Tmobile bloatware + Genius button. I am sure a beginner Android user would appreciate it more, but personally I'm more of a fan of the stock Android OS.

-4G/3G?: From the reviews I've been reading, T-Mobiles "practical" 4G speeds have not been exceeding 7Mbps which the Nexus One/S can achieve. And my area doesn't have 4G yet to boot!

-No SD card: Not a issue for me personally, I've never removed my SD cards from my phones, nor do I use anything near 16GB of space.

-Appearance: IMO the steel back and surround on the MT4G look tacky. I prefer the sleek black appearance of the Nexus S

-Screen: Just love the SAMOLED... next to the Nexus S, the MT4G's screen just looks washed out.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've got them both here. If what you want is fast, stock, and a bare canvas get the Nexus S.

If you want something with more polish, better network speeds, and extra RAM to run it all very smoothly, get the MT4G.

If you happen to LIKE customized, friendly user interfaces (and don't pay attention to all the hate -- decide for yourself), the MyTouch 4G has the nicest one out there IMO. I love it, and use all the "crap" on it and just have fun.

Either choice is a great one, but in the end you have to make it.

A great (and to the point) comparison from the man himself.

As always, it's up to you to decide what you want in a phone.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The MT4G has all the featues I want. HSPA+, front camera and 720p recording but I dont like the look of it. If the G2 had a ffc, wouldve bought it without a doubt. So now, I look forward to the next HSPA+, ffc, 720p phone coming to tmobile.

Nexus S fell short even tho it looks really nice.

The FFC is the reason I returned the G2 for the myTouch.

G2 > mt4g

Care to elaborate as to why you think that? It has a physical keyboard. And super LCD (but I have NO complaints about the screen of the myTouch, either). Other than those two things the myTouch is better in every way. Style is subjective, but the build quality on the G2 is better IMHO.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus line is slick and unique, the MyTouch line is meant to be childish and playful. Both achieve in being attractive devices, however the screen on the NS just looks better,the capacitive buttons are a little nicer than hardware keys, and the curved screen gives the NS a very nice unique chin like structure. Nexus S, is probably the most unique looking device on the market, with other devices being iPhone wannabes or black slabs.

Sent from my Nexus S

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus line is slick and unique, the MyTouch line is meant to be childish and playful. Both achieve in being attractive devices, however the screen on the NS just looks better,the capacitive buttons are a little nicer than hardware keys, and the curved screen gives the NS a very nice unique chin like structure. Nexus S, is probably the most unique looking device on the market, with other devices being iPhone wannabes or black slabs.

Sent from my Nexus S
Childish and playful? Yeah, riiight.

The Nexus S is definitely a black slab. Sucks that this childish and playful phone has better hardware than the Nexus S.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Childish and playful? Yeah, riiight.

The Nexus S is definitely a black slab. Sucks that this childish and playful phone has better hardware than the Nexus S.

Technically the hardware of the Nexus S is better. The myTouch's advantage is HSPA+ data speeds. I'm not sure of the battery life of the Nexus, but the battery life of the myTouch is awesome.

Physical vs capacitive buttons is a subjective opinion. I don't have a problem with either, personally.

I have the myTouch so I'm biased, of course, but I can appreciate the Nexus for what it is. It's an amazing phone. Top of the heap right now (because it's a Nexus), but it's not for everybody.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX