I was reading Engadget's Transcript from the interview with Andy Rubin at the D: Dive into Mobile conference this week, and noticed something that caught my eye:

6:47PM Kara: "Did you abandon that idea then?" Andy: "Well we offer the Nexus S unlocked, you can also get it on a carrier. But we're not doing the provisioning etc..."

What exactly does this mean? That Google will not be pushing out the Android updates for the Nexus S like it did for the Nexus One? Or is he just saying that the device will be sold by the carriers and B&Ms, and not directly from Google?

Obviously the Nexus S is going to run vanilla Android, but has anyone seen any info on whether Google will be pushing out the updates for it?? I'd assume so, but haven't seen any confirmation.
    12-09-2010 02:05 PM
    The Nexus S will be supported by Google well into 2011, and likely beyond with the latest Android updates. They've said so repeatedly (the dev team and all).

I think what he might have meant was... other manufacturers might come out with the same build and specs - and those will not be getting the direct Google updates. For example, after HTC made the Nexus One, they came out with the HTC Desire, which was more or less the Nexus One minus the Google support.

Samsung may do the same. Maybe Galaxy S+, for example, or whatever they may name it.

That's my guess.
    12-09-2010 02:27 PM
    I was reading Engadget's Transcript from the interview with Andy Rubin at the D: Dive into Mobile conference this week, and noticed something that caught my eye:

6:47PM Kara: "Did you abandon that idea then?" Andy: "Well we offer the Nexus S unlocked, you can also get it on a carrier. But we're not doing the provisioning etc..."

What exactly does this mean? That Google will not be pushing out the Android updates for the Nexus S like it did for the Nexus One? Or is he just saying that the device will be sold by the carriers and B&Ms, and not directly from Google?

Obviously the Nexus S is going to run vanilla Android, but has anyone seen any info on whether Google will be pushing out the updates for it?? I'd assume so, but haven't seen any confirmation.
    I think what Andy meant when he said, "we're not doing the provisioning etc is they will not activate the phone, Best Buy or whom ever sells the Nexus S"

All the updates for Gingerbread and beyond will come straight from Google, not Samsung or TMO
    12-09-2010 02:44 PM
    I wonder if Best Buy Canada will sell it up here and I can just walk in and buy an unlocked version when it's available. I hope it doesn't get stuck on a carrier. They always make it difficult to buy a phone with no contract and use it on another carrier up here.
    12-10-2010 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD