I realize it doesn't have the necessary radio to operate at 14.4 Mbps down but could it still benefit from the HSPA+ network to operate at a sub 7.2 Mbps down level while still being faster than regular HSPA?
    12-09-2010 04:50 PM
    Any HSPA capable phone will see a speed increase on HSPA+ networks, just due to the extra bandwidth. On my N1, I see around 900kbps in Toledo. In Dayton and Cincinnati (both HSPA+ for T-mobile), I see well over 3mbps... I've hit over 5mbps in speed tests.
    egginator likes this.
    12-09-2010 08:21 PM
    Google Nexus S FAQs | Best Buy Mobile Magazine – Cell phone and smartphone news, reviews and videos

Well there it is in black and white :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does the Nexus S support T-Mobiles 4g network?
    No. The Nexus S is a 3G device and does not support HSPA+ data.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I wont be getting one of these phones then.

What were Google and Samsung thinking ?

12-09-2010 08:45 PM
    All HSPA phones benefit from HSPA+. The only difference is that HSPA radios support up to 7.2 Mbps Down and HSPA+ supports 14.4 Mbps Down. Depending on where you live, you most likely won't exceed 7.2 Mbps Down which means that you don't need the HSPA+ radio. Sure, you may want it to be future proof but by the time you can get a new phone, everything will be LTE, WiMAX or HSPA+ at much higher speeds than 14.4 Mbps Down.
    12-09-2010 09:39 PM
    Thanks. Now I know I'm getting this phone.
    12-09-2010 09:40 PM
    I was just wondering if anyone had any inside info on the decision
    for the Nexus S to not be HSDPA+ compatible.

What was the reason behind this huge detraction.

Who made this decision.

The phone not being 4g compatible is absolutely a deal breaker for me.

Am I the only one of this opinion ?

Just wondering why the huge gamble on Google and Samsungs part.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I dont think so (as the 4g video wars heat up).

12-11-2010 07:09 AM
    It's quite simple, Google and Samsung partnered up mid-year (likely around the time the Galaxy S series were becoming successful) and rushed to get a phone that can be called flagship to help launch Gingerbread before Christmas. Samsung plainly didn't have their dual-cores nor their HSPA+ capable processors ready by production, and so Google/Sammy went with what they had to meet the Xmas deadline.
    12-11-2010 11:20 AM
    That does make sense.
    I'ma wait on a real super phone because the Nexus S is not the one.

12-11-2010 03:32 PM
    4G doesn't exist yet. 3.9 is currently out, which Samsung should not develop the next Android only phone to be on a limited 3.9G network. Only a hand full of customers in the US have this resulting in the use of 3G HSPA networks. This leads me to my current confusion,

Why did Google and Samsung deliberately choose 1700MHz over 1900MHz... I was going to purchase the Nexus S till I realized that I'll need to go to a carrier that is on the 1700 band (not too many around with good coverage last I checked).

The Galaxy S and Nexus S are pretty mush the same inside, but have the 3G difference...
    Galaxy S - GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    Nexus S - GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    Good so far...
    Galaxy S - HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100
    Nexus S - HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100
    Oh Oh...

Instead of doing both, like the Nokia's N8, they go to the least marketable group. Am I missing something here?

So onto another question, when will there be a Android only 1900 3G band phone? I can't believe that to this day I still need to buy a Sense UI, Touch Wiz, bloated this, and bloated that OS addon...

I think Nokia has the ultimate edge with their MeeGo Intel partnership...
    12-15-2010 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD