12-13-2010 04:10 PM
54 123
tools
    The only phones that Google has any say on are those in the Nexus series, so the Nexus One and Nexus S are the only ones your argument holds water for.

Google does not have to approve any other Android phones (ie the Galaxy S series or Droid series). Android is open source and OEM's can do whatever they want with it, put it on any phone they want and modify Android itself any way they want to make it work with their devices. You know the Samsung Continuum right? It has the interesting "ticker" screen which no other Android phone has (yet). Samsung had to write code to make that work and it is highly likely that OEM's would write code to make SD cards work even if Google removed it from Android (or more likely they would simply life the code from a previous version of Android and update it to make it work with the newest version).

OEM's do NOT want to have to add more memory to their phones, it is easier and cheaper for them to give you a free 8GB MicroSD card (which they probably paid $4 for because they bought them in bulk) than for them to increase the internal memory.

I don't think you are giving Google enough credit. What is going into the various initiations of Android is planned months in advance and I think it unlikely that they would add a feature like Apps2SD only to remove it later. Some developers on Googles team may like the idea of not having to deal with SD cards anymore but I have serious doubts that they would shoot themselves in the foot like that with OEM's.

And it's no problem :-)
    Well my point is all theory im sure the truth is somewhere in the middle of all our arguements... or something we have not even thought of. what i said was a theory built on what engadget says, and im not saying they know all but they are usually a little ahead of the curve as far as info is concerned. Perhaps time will tell , or with google sometimes it tells nothing i.e N1 for verizon. lol
    12-13-2010 02:57 AM
    Well my point is all theory im sure the truth is somewhere in the middle of all our arguements... or something we have not even thought of. what i said was a theory built on what engadget says, and im not saying they know all but they are usually a little ahead of the curve as far as info is concerned. Perhaps time will tell , or with google sometimes it tells nothing i.e N1 for verizon. lol
    Oh I know don't worry about it :-)

Engaged is also an AppleHugger blog and in that regard somewhat biased toward the fruit company and their way of thinking. They no doubt thing this would be a good move for Android (i.e. copying Apple).

And as for the N1 for VZW, Google did their part, Verizon simply rejected the device because they had the DI already in the pipe and they were so similar. Sucks too I wanted one so badly! :-(
    12-13-2010 03:02 AM
    I think this phone serves a much different purpose than the nexus 1. First and foremost, people are becoming more and more aware of the delays in Software updates when they buy an Android device with some custom UI.
    Second, these custom UI's are not any better, and in many cases worse than stock Android. I think Google see's and advantage here over the LG's, Samsung and HTC's of the world by marketing the "true" google experience.
    Non removable storage seems to be a trend for some reason. The iphone does it that way, so does Palm and Windows is the latest. I think it blows, but it does seem to be a trend.
    12-13-2010 07:40 AM
    Trust me, it's mostly data transfer speeds, pure and simple. You'd be surprised how much of a speed boost simple things like that can give a device. Of course, I think that SDK function is a part of it too.

Also, Samsung didn't exclude an SD card. Google did. Everything about the Nexus S was chosen by Google, even the Galaxy S-esque shell recieved modifications at Google's request.
    right but then following that logic, there's no reason why both cant exist on one device, which many devices actually have both internal mass storage with additional SD card slot. i was just arguing against the reason quoted as "needing to test onRemovableStorageIsPresent" as the reason for not having a memory card slot. if that was the way software dev worked, then the google dev phone would always have to have front facing camera, fm radio, etc because those things need testing too. how will the developers test the isFMRadioPresent hook on the nexus S? lol just joshing
    12-13-2010 04:10 PM
54 123