I personally do not have this device, but for someone who does.

How does the integrated VOIP calling work?

Is it via google voice?

Can it only be done over WLAN, or does it support 3G?

Does it use your carrier cell phone number or does the VOIP use its own (like google voice).

Can you recieve calls as well as make them?

I know it sounds like a mouthful, but that is the single mose desired feature for myself, living in a very poor reception area. I have tried many of the "hacks" like SIPDroid but the integration into gingerbread has me excited.

Thank you for taking the time, and if nobody yet has the answers... i patiently await.

~J
    12-16-2010 10:19 AM
    I think that if you have a SIP account from a provider, you can use Gingerbread and its VOIP client to connect.

At the moment Google Voice appears not to be an option for VOIP calling from your Nexus S.

I don't have one, but these are the facts I've gathered from reading about it in the interwebs.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-16-2010 10:22 AM
    So far I haven't gotten it to work, but our router is a little twitchy with SIP stuff. will be exited to try it at home.
    12-16-2010 12:28 PM
    Nice,, You can now buy a Magic Jack for 20 something bucks and have unlimited calling year round. Over the internet that is. I have the nexus one hopefully Google releases Gingerbread for it soon.
    12-16-2010 03:38 PM
    Darn, nobody got home and tried this yet?
    12-17-2010 12:25 AM
    I tried it but it will only work over wifi! So I uninstalled and went the other route. I installed sipdroid,Gizmo5,GV callback and with this option you have both wifi or over 3G (although I have not tested yet over 3G). The following is a good writeup on the Nexus 1 forum that I followed.

[Guide] Unlimited Wifi/3G VoIP Calling - xda-developers
    12-17-2010 06:34 AM
    On the nexus one I used sipdroid along with gizmo5 but on the nexus s I am using the built in VoIP with gizmo5. As stated, it only works over wifi but seems to be a bit better for me than sipdroid. You can set it to receive calls so I just dial through the full version of the google voice website. This works well for me because I am just using it when overseas or without a good cell signal rather than as a replacement to voice minutes.
    12-17-2010 07:17 AM
    Can you provide instructions on how you set this up? Thanks.
    12-17-2010 01:22 PM
    If you are going the other route that will enable both wifi and 3g VOIP then the following link is excellent and easy to follow

12-17-2010 03:29 PM
    If you are going the other route that will enable both wifi and 3g VOIP then the following link is excellent and easy to follow

I just tested some more this morning and the "Sipdroid/Gizmo5/gvoiceCallback" method does not fully work! I can make the phones ring either end, call and talk from my end and the other end can hear but I cannot hear what the other side is saying. But, the SIP that comes with Nexus S does work over wifi only. I don't know if it is free or what yet?
    12-18-2010 08:25 AM
    Jerry posted up a SIP tutorial for SIPGATE to get free incoming calls, I tried it, sou d quality is not good at all... but it is a step in the right direction.
    Link to thread:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/sams...g-sipgate.html
    12-18-2010 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD