12-27-2010 06:28 PM
43 12
tools
    Return it to Arizona by mistake, lol. I tried unsuccessfully to buy one 3 times today. Every time I entered the store and asked I got "Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.

I know of one Best Buy in the city that has 22 of em but, it's a far drive and I lack a car. Not worth the $50 cab ride. :/
    [CENTER]AKA [URL="http://crackberry.com/blog/bla1ze"]Bla1ze[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html"]Getting Started with Android[/URL][/CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER]
    12-16-2010 09:32 PM
    "Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.
    i hate it when all those store reps are keeping the good deals for themselves.
    12-16-2010 10:51 PM
    The general consensus of this phone at this board and others seem tremendously underwhelming. And a variety of issues make Nexus S seem unworthy of a $580 dollar price tag. I was on the fence, but now becoming more and more deterred from taking the plunge.
    12-16-2010 10:53 PM
    My issue was related to the fact that I needed to change phones because my nexus one broke, and my backup (G1) is agonizingly slow. I thought the new Nexus was the answer to my problem. I tried to overlook the shortfalls, but there were not enough new features and improvements over the nexus one to make me keep the phone.

The phone is really good. If I was going from G1 to Nexus S, I would have kept it.. But Going from Nexus 1 to Nexus S for an additional $580, there was not enough difference between the two for it to be cost effective for myself..

As far as the comment of putting your phone in your pocket. I really don't like carrying mine in my pocket, I like using holsters from Sedio. I was just giving my opinion on why "I" was returning it. Not trying to persuade anyone to buy/not buy, but wanted to give a point of view. Let you make the decision.
    12-17-2010 12:47 AM
    I'm in Phoenix and am returning mine only because I'm not getting T-Mobile service at my house.

Return it to Arizona by mistake, lol. I tried unsuccessfully to buy one 3 times today. Every time I entered the store and asked I got "Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.

I know of one Best Buy in the city that has 22 of em but, it's a far drive and I lack a car. Not worth the $50 cab ride. :/
    12-17-2010 11:16 AM
    Someone previously in this thread mentioned the size/screen, and I agree. My only Android device has been an N1, so the S-AMOLED screen, and larger screen for me are making a huge difference. I you had been using a new Android phone with larger screen (Droid X, Galaxy S, Evo, etc), probably nothing new. Spec-wize the N1 I believe is 3.7" and Nexus S is 4.0, but it "seems" bigger. I think fonts and graphics in general look better so far, comparing the same app or screen side-by-side with Nexus One.

Also it's faster for sure, lots of variables there (2.3, different Snapdragon vs. Hummingbird). I also like the haptic feedback and feel of the buttons as well, and the touchscreen seems noticeably better on the S vs. the One.

And have WAY more room for apps storage (w/o going on the "virtual" SD card) is nice. I re-installed all my apps from the N1, and have 384MB free vs. 26MB on the N1, which is nice....

A better comparison will come with Gingerbread is on the N1 of course....
    12-17-2010 01:36 PM
    and the touchscreen seems noticeably better on the S vs. the One.
    Android did not have multi-touch when the n1 came out so the screen was never designed for it.
    12-17-2010 01:46 PM
    So I just got back from my local Best Buy... they had a demo for me to play with, and had started with 5 Nexus S' y'day, of which they sold 2.

Anyway, I played with it for about 20 minutes. I'm not going to rehash the experience, since most reviews sum it up pretty nicely. I will say that while the screen is really nice and the phone is really responsive, I have to agree with the OP. At least for me, the S doesn't justify the $529+ to upgrade from the N1, especially when mine is pretty responsive thanks to Launcher Plus Pro (which I'd install on the N-S if I were to get it as well). If I were still using my G1, then I wouldn't think twice about getting it. That being said.. I think I'll spend my money on an Android tablet instead. A nice 7" tablet and my N1 will be more useful to me than just the N-S.

Also, just to add... I'm no longer miffed about the lack of HSPA+ after watching phonedog's dogfight with the MT4G. Both of the phones got the same speeds on T-mobile's HSPA+ network.
    12-17-2010 03:00 PM
    Argh.
    I got the S too, but I can't decide if its worth keeping. It is, beyond a doubt, a fantastic phone, and I definitely notice quite a bit of performance improvements over the N1.
    For me, the biggest 'pros' for the S over the 1 are:
    1. More space (for apps), not having an SD card isn't too big of a deal for me
    2. Bigger/better screen, although I put the same video file on both phones and they both played it pretty much equally, granted, it wasn't an HD video, but still, I didn't see any difference. I can't really say where I do see a difference, but I definitely notice it in normal usage.
    3. MUCH better multitouch, but still a tiny bit glitchy
    4. Significantly faster overall, but I'm not sure if the S will still be faster after the One gets 2.3

But there are also some things that I will sorely miss from my nexus One like:
    1. The overall build and look, although the screen is a bit smaller, I love the size of the phone, its perfect.
    2. The trackball, but I could probably get used to not having one, its just that, every once in a while, I will be typing and reach down to scroll a few characters back, and then realize there is no trackball
    3. I don't like the way the S vibrates, it feels cheap, like the vibration is localized to one part of the phone, whereas the entire phone vibrates with the One, I know that's just a personal preference, but I just wanted to put that out there.

So considering those are the only improvements I really notice, I am not sure its really worth $579 (after taxes in Cook "Crook" county). If I got it for $200, it would be a no-brainer, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it, but at this price, I guess its just going to take some more deliberation

Note: does anyone know why I didn't notice a difference in the videos when comparing them side by side? The colors seemed to pop a bit more on the S, but there was sort of a yellowish tint (which I only noticed in a side-by-side comparison). It does seem though, in day-to-day usage and just doing normal stuff, the screen is more attractive, I just can't see why.
    12-18-2010 05:02 PM
    I played with one for a while today.....

I think its a great phone...if it was on Verizon I'd buy one in a heart beat.
    12-18-2010 06:33 PM
    I just got s
    What sucks is
    No tracking ball
    Screen auto rotating too sensitive
    12-24-2010 07:54 PM
    I just got s
    What sucks is
    No tracking ball
    Screen auto rotating too sensitive
    I got a Nexus S last saturday.
    I returned it yesterday morning and they reversed the two year contract.
    Its really not a bad phone but its not an "earth shakingly
    better than the Nexus One" phone in my humble opinion.

Its certainly not worthy of a two year contract and still pay $200.

Yes the touch screen is more responsive than the Nexus One and its faster
    but what I found excruciating and could not excuse was not the lack
    of HSPA+ but the lack of a way to move the curser.

No track pad or track ball was just a stupid thing not to include on a smart phone.
    Going back to the G2 (Nexus One as a backup).
    12-25-2010 07:12 PM
    I got a Nexus S last saturday.
    I returned it yesterday morning and they reversed the two year contract.
    Its really not a bad phone but its not an "earth shakingly
    better than the Nexus One" phone in my humble opinion.

Its certainly not worthy of a two year contract and still pay $200.

Yes the touch screen is more responsive than the Nexus One and its faster
    but what I found excruciating and could not excuse was not the lack
    of HSPA+ but the lack of a way to move the curser.

No track pad or track ball was just a stupid thing not to include on a smart phone.
    Going back to the G2 (Nexus One as a backup).
    I don't have a trackball or trackpad on my Droid X and I am able to navigate the phone just fine. I was glad to see that the trackball was retired.
    12-25-2010 07:17 PM
    I don't have a trackball or trackpad on my Droid X and I am able to navigate the phone just fine. I was glad to see that the trackball was retired.
    I think the next Google phone is less than 6 months away.
    We'll see if it has a track pad or not.
    If not I wont be getting it either.
    The MyTouch 4g is the best T-Mobile phone right now hands down
    but the bloatware crap TMO put on top of the stock Android is
    just as unacceptable as the lack of a track pad is on the NS.

12-26-2010 07:11 AM
    The next Google phone is not 6 months away, you might think that, but maybe the next Google device is a tablet? Launching with Honeycomb?

Sent from my Nexus S
    12-26-2010 07:46 AM
    The next Google phone is not 6 months away, you might think that, but maybe the next Google device is a tablet? Launching with Honeycomb?

Sent from my Nexus S
    Its all just conjecture at this point isnt it.
    Its just that after having a Nexus S for 7 disappointing days I cant imagine Google taking
    another year to release the next Nexus phone.
    Will they release a tablet ? I dont know but I dont think so.
    We do know they are working on a laptop/notebook though dont we.

12-26-2010 07:23 PM
    We know Google has a tablet coming in a few months from Motorola cause they showed it a few weeks ago in that video.
    12-27-2010 04:49 PM
    We know Google has a tablet coming in a few months from Motorola cause they showed it a few weeks ago in that video.
    We also have a forum for it

To be fair though, there's not a 100% guarantee that it'll be stock Honeycomb.
    12-27-2010 06:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD