Nexus S Market is T-Mobile branded :(

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
thumb_tall_market-t-mob-branded.png

Yeah, thats not what I expected to see on my unlocked Google branded phone.

Phil said it best -- that's horse-doo-doo. Bad form Google, very.

donatom3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the market on any android phone figure out what carrier you are on and put their tab? I'm on an EVO with Cyanogen Mod 6 and it has a Sprint tab.

Otherwise there does not appear to be any other special branding on that screen shot.

I don't see the problem here at all. I'm sure a Nexus S unlocked on another carrier would show a different carrier tab for the last one.

bigbuss786

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In a way i was shocked... but it is mainly for their network here in the US. Most people will be signing up with T-Mobile... so they have to mark their spot. I just want those dual chips, so we can have GSM/CDMA/LTE in one phone. That would be epic.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Neither my Nexus One nor my Milestone have ever had anything other than 'Downloads' in that position. That is kind of BS there Google. Easily fixed for the rooted I'm sure, but still bad form.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

jonesdavide

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was just in my local Best Buy and the demo Nexus S they had on display did in fact show "Downloads" and was NOT carrier branded.

However, this particular unit was also not registered on the T-Mobile network but was connected to AT&T because it had Cingular APN settings. I tried to register it on T-Mobile so i could compare signal strength with my G2 and it failed every time i tried to register it.

This particular Best Buy also doesn't sell T-Mobile phones so that might have something to do with why that demo unit couldn't register onto T-Mobile.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
My Captivate says ATT on the tab. I'm sure whichever carrier you get that's the tab. Still with a 15min try or buy on apps the market ain't going to be getting much business

vladk.ru

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My Captivate says ATT on the tab. I'm sure whichever carrier you get that's the tab. Still with a 15min try or buy on apps the market ain't going to be getting much business

The Captivate has an ATT tab because it's a ATT branded phone. Since the Nexus S is "pure Google" and unlocked it should not have a T-Mobile tab, just like the Nexus One didn't have one.

Still, doesn't stop me from wanting one, but I want to see the CES phones before spending $529.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

All the other unlocked phones I have here don't have a branded market, regardless of the SIM. This one does. This means, you can only download and install apps that the carrier hasn't blocked.

Not a big deal with T-mobile, but if an unlocked Nexus S with an AT&T SIM card has an AT&T butchered market, that's a serious problem.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Is it really that big of a deal? Seems a little silly to me.

OMG, there is a hint of T-Mobile on this phone!

I can understand if there was a bunch of their own apps and crap on there but just a title buried in the App store seems petty. IMO.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Is it really that big of a deal? Seems a little silly to me.

OMG, there is a hint of T-Mobile on this phone!

I can understand if there was a bunch of their own apps and crap on there but just a title buried in the App store seems petty. IMO.

So you're OK with apps missing from the Market, on an unlocked Google dev phone, because a carrier has blocked them?

Google PdaNet + T-Mobile
or
Where + AT&T

If I wanted a carrier locked Market I would have bought a carrier locked phone.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Its true what you say Jerry, however it probably isn't something that bothers him... which is why it doesn't really bother him.

Sent from my Nexus S

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Its true what you say Jerry, however it probably isn't something that bothers him... which is why it doesn't really bother him.

Sent from my Nexus S

I just need something to complain about lol. Minus the USB connector issue with the first unit, I'm already in love with this thing :)

Galaxy S hardware and unfettered Google software = nerdgasm.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just need something to complain about lol. Minus the USB connector issue with the first unit, I'm already in love with this thing :)

Galaxy S hardware and unfettered Google software = nerdgasm.

Lol.

Funny to see t-mo, the most laid back of the carriers throwing that on there. Strange, and un-needed.

Btw, hows the no sd card or 4G going? ;)