New to Nexus S...Not necessarily Android

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Please answer question 6 first LOL

...but I don't do as much as everyone here.

I am debating on getting the Nexus S. I am/was so so excited. this seems to be a fairly pro Nexus S forum...as opposed to the iphone biased Gizmodo. Correct? I was afraid of getting rid of my mt4g which i sold. but it appears that the main things I will lose will be

solidness
4g
sd slot
camera is not as good
Video no hd

BUT I will get
Gingerbread,
Oh, gingerbread
Updates asap
Very fast processor
Better screen
Credit card "thing"
No overlay

So it seems that if I will lose the solid build of an HTC phone but otherwise some basic tradeoffs, all for a pure google phone that I want

I dont' understand all of these reviewers bashing it saying Yeah it isnot anything revolutionary. And there may be better phones out in a month or two.. But it IS the best Android phone out now

That makes NO sense to me. I am going to guess there are a lot of pure Andoid people saying GET USED to IT. That is the way the reviewers are about Android

Well a couple questions.
1. the GPS issue from what I read IS fixed isn't it. Well even if it wasn't, what would I do....NOT get it. No You wouldnt go buy ANOTHER mt4g would you. One I just sold? LOL I would deal with it , but it should be fixed right

Next

2. I am a total novice. I dont mess with the OS I was always afraid of ruining the warranty
Well this phone is mine now right? No warranty to ruin is there? Or there is?, but I should still do the basics?

3. I read that I should do something with the bootloader so I can do future things. Is that true?

4. I read something about a quick boot it does not have this, like the Mytouch does it? What do I need to do to get this. I want it.

5. Can a better OS and chip affect the Network. In other words, this is NOT plain 3g is it? This is hsdpa? which is better than 3g but slower than hspa+ ?? Well even considering this, the Nexus S' browser is even faster than that right. What I am getting to is this--the browser is NOT all that much slower than the mytouch 4g? is it

6. Can I increase the Homescreens from 5 to 7. LOL That was the Main , original question.

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Although I do not own an Android phone, (Nexus S will be the first) I can say for sure that the Homescreens are expandable. It shouldn't be something that HTC put into Android so therefore it must have been there already.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Please answer question 6 first LOL

Okay :)

6. Can I increase the Homescreens from 5 to 7. LOL That was the Main , original question.

I don't think you can on the default launcher, but a replacement like LauncherPro or ADWLauncher allows you to add/subtract more homescreens.

I am debating on getting the Nexus S. I am/was so so excited. this seems to be a fairly pro Nexus S forum...as opposed to the iphone biased Gizmodo. Correct?

Actually, I have gotten the opposite feeling; Android fans seem to hate it the most from all I've seen. Dunno why though, it's a pretty nice phone.

I was afraid of getting rid of my mt4g which i sold. but it appears that the main things I will lose will be

solidness

Actually, the Nexus has great build quality; it feels nice and solid, with an even distribution of weight that feels nice to hold.

Correct. T-Mobile's 3G is fairly speedy, though.

The iNAND memory that the Nexus S uses increases data transfer speeds over SD cards. Personally, I've never needed over 16 GB on my Droid, but you may have different needs.

camera is not as good
Video no hd

I don't know much about the MyTouch 4G, but I imagine that's probably true.

BUT I will get
Gingerbread,
Oh, gingerbread
Updates asap
Very fast processor
Better screen
Credit card "thing"
No overlay

Not to mention easy root and lots of developer interest. It's a very smooth and fast phone, the fastest Android phone I've ever seen.

So it seems that if I will lose the solid build of an HTC phone but otherwise some basic tradeoffs, all for a pure google phone that I want

Once again, it feels solid... it's just not metal.

I dont' understand all of these reviewers bashing it saying Yeah it isnot anything revolutionary. And there may be better phones out in a month or two.. But it IS the best Android phone out now

This is how I feel in a nutshell. ;)

That makes NO sense to me. I am going to guess there are a lot of pure Andoid people saying GET USED to IT. That is the way the reviewers are about Android

The criticisms are fair, IMO, just getting to be way overblown. People seem to be personally offended by the idea the Google didn't make a device specifically geared to their demands.

Well a couple questions.
1. the GPS issue from what I read IS fixed isn't it. Well even if it wasn't, what would I do....NOT get it. No You wouldnt go buy ANOTHER mt4g would you. One I just sold? LOL I would deal with it , but it should be fixed right

Personally speaking, my GPS is fine... I've heard of a few people with issues, but I haven't read into them. If there is a problem with other devices though, I'm sure there's a software fix for it from Google or the wonderful devs of the Android community.

Next

2. I am a total novice. I dont mess with the OS I was always afraid of ruining the warranty
Well this phone is mine now right? No warranty to ruin is there? Or there is?, but I should still do the basics?

There's still a warranty to void if you unlock the bootloader of the phone, but it's fairly difficult to actually brick it. It's a great device even without rooting, but I imagine rooting and installing custom ROMs will make the phone even better. It's your call whether you're comfortable with it or not, but as long as you make a backup before you flash something, there's very little to worry about.

3. I read that I should do something with the bootloader so I can do future things. Is that true?

That's unlocking the bootloader. Once you unlock the bootloader (which voids your warranty, btw) you'll be able to install a recovery image, which allows you to root and flash ROMs. It's actually a fairly easy and straightforward process that can be done in a minute or two.

4. I read something about a quick boot it does not have this, like the Mytouch does it? What do I need to do to get this. I want it.

Not quite sure here.

5. Can a better OS and chip affect the Network. In other words, this is NOT plain 3g is it? This is hsdpa? which is better than 3g but slower than hspa+ ?? Well even considering this, the Nexus S' browser is even faster than that right. What I am getting to is this--the browser is NOT all that much slower than the mytouch 4g? is it

The Nexus S is 3G, but T-Mo's network upgrades make it fairly speedy regardless. The only connectivity difference between the Nexus S and 4G phones is that the Nexus S has a speed cap at 7.2 Mbps, which is pretty fast in it's own right.

I hope I was able to help you somewhat. :)

Reactions: sndplace

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks to both of you. I only read reply #1, I am a novice but looking at number 2 makes me laugh at how talented u all are

I am hoping it is a favorable reply I will come back later

sad thing is, I sold my mt4g and I am on a ghetto phone so I don't know if I get email/i.e a response unless I get away from the tube

thanks all tho
eric

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I read, and all of you, esp Tux. Thank you

Thanks for making me realize it that a plastic phone can still be made well, evenly balanced, etc. I should have known this from having a Vibrant

I would like 7 homescreens. I have NEVER been remotely fond of ADW, and I have tried Launcher Pro but ended up with the native launcher somehow. Is that because I didn't switch to HomeSwitcher for Froyo, as opposed to the original Homeswitcher. Someone suggested that to me.

So If I am buying this outright and paying $529, yet I am on disability, It is not a good bet to void the warranty in case something should go wrong, correct?

Anything you could find on what I was saying about the MyTouch 4G having a Fast Boot, and they were saying you could do something to get it on the Nexus S, if it didn't already didnt have it, would be greatly appreciated.

so let me get this. YOu weren't trying to get me down were you, LOL. I don't know you but you seem kewl--I am a worry wart. You were simply trying to say what the reviewers were pounding into the pavement -- that the hardware in and of itself is nothing new, but with Gingerbread, Having a humingbird, one of the fastest 1gh processors, amoled, the credit card "thing", the gyroscope, make it the best android phone out there.

But there will be phones with Better hardware getting Gingerbread shortly and then we will be left NOT being the best....in someone's opinion. Unless, as we pure Googleists believe, getting updates first is also one of the best things

.....Is that what you were trying to say. That it is the best phone right now?

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Tex, and others...

I just saw this, made me feel at ease, cause I had been looking for a Desire HD for awhile then I saw that 3G is not in the US

Nexus S vs HTC Desire HD | Crave | CNET UK

I also noticed they had to say what you said about Plastic...WOW Tex, you're good

Eric

PS
If I want 7 screens and wanna goto Launcher Pro, will I be missing out on the new Gingerbread Launcher

pps
anyone know of a good app that u can use, I saw many, that helps you locate your parked car in a huge parking lot, streets, etc...