Just got a Nexus S yesterday and activated it on T-Mobile.

Tried the wireless hotspot today, and it just says "error" when trying to turn on.

Anyone else encounter this issue?

I bought my device outright so I'm on a Flexpay Even More Plus acct with 500 min/unlimited message/unlimited web.

Thanks
    12-20-2010 03:48 PM
    I just tried and got same error message. I am in same situation, paid for the phone outright and Even More Plus plan, all unlimited.
    12-20-2010 07:03 PM
    Not sure how Tmob works, but with Sprint you have to pay an extra $30/mo. for the ability to tether (unless of course you are rooted) I'm guessing they have a similar policy, tho I could be wrong...
    12-20-2010 07:23 PM
    The exact same SIM card worked on my Nexus One and allowed tethering the day before I got my Nexus S...
    12-20-2010 07:27 PM
    Actually, there was no tethering plan when the Nexus One got FroYo. It could have changed by now. Maybe T-Mobile just got smarter however, I do doubt it since the Nexus S is supposed to be a dev phone and therefore have all features available for use.
    12-20-2010 07:29 PM
    I just got a prepaid plan with data to test TMo service (1500 min/txt + 30MB). I was able to enable wifi tether. Didn't bother to try to connect to it though.
    12-20-2010 09:17 PM
    I was able to turn on tethering at my house last night, and at various locations all the way to work today. However, once I arrived at work it's giving me the same "error".

Also noticed my GPS wouldn't lock this morning. Grr.
    12-21-2010 08:32 AM
    I tested with both my AT&T and T-Mobile sims. The phone randomly gives errors regardless of which sim is in it so I don't think there is an issue with my T-Mo plan setup.

I also tried the wireless tether apk and still randomly get the errors.
    12-22-2010 09:35 AM
    Not sure how Tmob works, but with Sprint you have to pay an extra $30/mo. for the ability to tether (unless of course you are rooted) I'm guessing they have a similar policy, tho I could be wrong...
    The reason why Sprint charges is they took out the native tether built into froyo. Slapped on thier own app and charged. The Nexus One and Nexus S are pure google so they are untouched and should run. Im running a GB build on my EVO and the native built in tether works for me.
    12-22-2010 09:41 AM
    received following error messages when wifi tether starts
    1. loading wifi firmware failed
    2. configuring softap failed
    3. starting softap failed
    4. activating wifi interface failed
    pls help

i'm using at&t samsung sgh-i897

and yes it is rooted
    01-03-2012 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD