Do you think that AT&T will come out with their own Nexus S like they did last year for the Nexus One? I'm really wanting this phone, but don't know if I can wait another 3 months for it to come out (if it will), and am wondering if I should just get a different android instead.
    12-22-2010 11:18 AM
    I don't think so
    12-22-2010 12:09 PM
    You don't think an AT&T version will come out AT ALL?
    12-22-2010 07:29 PM
    I think there is a pretty good chance. Why not slap a different radio in and sell a bunch more even if ATT isn't subsidizing? It's not going to cost them much to do that. I returned mine today because TMo 3G coverage is just not that expansive and limits me a bit too much. It also doesn't penetrate indoors nearly as well as ATT 850MHz. The hardware and software are awesome, but I will stick with my N1 until the S on ATT or something better comes along...
    12-22-2010 08:07 PM
    I hope this hits CDMA carriers, just because everyone needs to try out this device.

Sent from my Nexus S
    12-22-2010 10:11 PM
    I doubt CDMA carriers will get this phone. Most carriers are too concerned with locking down and testing devices on their network. AT&T only gets N1 and maybe this because they adhere to the GSM sim standard and don't block you from using other devices with your sim. Possibly Sprint, but I really don't see Verizon letting a device on their network that they don't control the software on. To be seen how they manage LTE; I suspect they will still lock down service to a device even though it is sim based. Props to T Mobile. I'd switch but their 3G coverage is not expansive enough for me.
    12-24-2010 06:53 AM
    There will almost certainly be a AT&T version. Many European carriers use the same AT&T bandwiths and so do the 4 large Canadian carriers. They would be cutting off a whole lot of potential buyers by not releasing one.
    12-24-2010 08:08 AM
    There will almost certainly be a AT&T version. Many European carriers use the same AT&T bandwiths and so do the 4 large Canadian carriers. They would be cutting off a whole lot of potential buyers by not releasing one.
    Man, I hope your right. I need some android. I was going to switch carriers but I changed my mind when I saw att's cancellation fee. I'm hoping there will be good ATT news at CES. I really liked the nexus s when I got to play with it at a best buy express. It's really sucks that they didn't just release both versions at the same time.

In the mean time I was curious to see if I could get a cheap nexus one on ebay and those still go for around $300. No way will I pay that for a nexus one. Especially when there are samsung captivates on ebay for 150.
    12-25-2010 06:21 AM
    For accuracy:

1) When discussing air interfaces, we are discussing Spectrum/Frequencies rather than Bandwidth.
    2) Europe and Asia utilize UMTS (3G) on the 2100Mhz spectrum.
    3) at&t Mobility, certain Canadian Providers, and certain Central and South American Providers utilize UMTS (3G) on 850Mhz/1900Mhz (aka North American 3G or NAM 3G for short).

Thus, the currently released Nexus S would work out of the box with European Mobile providers 3G networks.

Dan
    12-25-2010 07:06 AM
    I think one of the reasons Google decided to go with Samsung this time around with the Nexus phone was because Samsung did a good job with Galaxy S phones. Galaxy S phones are on every network, even the smaller networks have their own Galaxy S phones. Google probably saw that and decided to work with Samsung to create this phone so they could try to sell it on every network.
    12-25-2010 08:39 AM
    It would make sense to have the Nexus S on Att but I would still have a problem wanting to own an Android device on that network with a 2GB cap on the data. I go way over that every month. I would love to see the Nexus S on Verizon or Sprint that have unlimited data plans.
    12-27-2010 09:02 AM
    Thank you everyone for your help! I did some research, and I decided to go with the original Nexus One. I do believe, however, that AT&T will come out with their own 3G version of the Nexus S, so if that is what you really want, keep on waiting! I know it's hard!
    12-27-2010 06:58 PM
    Like the last thread about this, I'd really like to see it on AT&T, and I think it'll happen quickly after the iPhone gets announced on Verizon (if or when it does). Hopefully before then, but maybe not.
    12-28-2010 11:27 AM
    I am not sure El Goog nor Sammy are really concerned with VZW (with regards to device releases, nor the iPHONE.

If and when a NAM 3G Nexus S is released it will be completely independent of an other device.

However, I could see an LTE Nexus S compatible with VZW LTE network.....it would be the first device that could be activated regardless of VZW CDMA network restrictions.

Dan
    01-01-2011 02:22 PM
    Anyone have any new info on a AT&T 3G capable Nexus S? Maybe a CTIA we will here some info..or so I hope..
    01-08-2011 08:58 PM
    I doubt it.
    01-08-2011 09:34 PM
    I don't understand why they didn't just release both of the devices at the same time instead of waiting.
    01-08-2011 10:04 PM
    I wonder if there even is a AT&T version.
    01-08-2011 11:06 PM
    I think they will get the next one though because if it is true then they won't have I phone exclusivity
    01-08-2011 11:56 PM
    I think they will get the next one though because if it is true then they won't have I phone exclusivity
    I has a sad . The new phones aren't bad, but I dunno. Still leaves something to be desired in my eyes I guess. I was really hoping for a really powerful HTC device with sense, or the Nexus S with pure google. Didn't get either sadly .
    01-09-2011 04:07 AM
    I has a sad . The new phones aren't bad, but I dunno. Still leaves something to be desired in my eyes I guess. I was really hoping for a really powerful HTC device with sense, or the Nexus S with pure google. Didn't get either sadly .
    Well what about the inspire 4G. If you want dual-core then wait for a while longer and HTC will have REALLY good phones
    01-09-2011 04:09 AM
    There's also the Atrix. 1gb of ram? yes please. Only detriment to the phone is Blur
    01-09-2011 12:25 PM
    Even tho all the new android phones for ATT look impressive spec wise, vanilla builds of android are more appealing. Don't have the time to install ROM's either
    01-13-2011 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD