Worth upgrading to Nexus S from nexus one?

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
All that said, there's one thing that still has me considering returning my Nexus S ... lack of an Android-recognized car dock. I bought two N1 car docks, one for my car (duh) and one to stick to the base of one of my LCD monitors at work to use as a landscape clock/Pandora/TweetDeck/whatever.

This was actually the tipping point for me to return mine. The car dock for the N1 is very good, especially because how HTC uses the contact pins. I do a lot of long distance driving ( because I life out in the middle of no where lol) and I use the Navigation and car mode frequently.... the docks are just so dang good!

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat and got a Nexus S the first day. I ended up returning in yesterday. Yes it is a great phone, but it wasn't worth the upgrade for me. hone just felt like a rush job and not as well developed / finished as the Nexus One. Despite having both I found myself using the One more often. After using it, I realized why Gingerbread isn't ready for the Nexus One yet - its buggy. Maybe in a few months, after they have the issues worked out and more accessories, it will be a better buy for me. However, by then Tetra 2 dual core phones will be hitting the market.
Cyanogen released an Alpha build Goethe Nexus S yesterday, so expect more in the future.
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I got a Nexus S on Saturday the 18 and returned it Friday the 24th,
7 disappointing days later.
It overwhelmingly is not much of an upgrade at all from the Nexus One.
Not worth a 2 year upgrade even if the phone was free IMHO.
Whose idea was it to leave out the track pad ?
And the memory card slot ?

The MyTouch 4g is a much better phone even with all the T-Mobile bloatware.

:(

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I got a Nexus S on Saturday the 18 and returned it Friday the 24th,
7 disappointing days later.
It overwhelmingly is not much of an upgrade at all from the Nexus One.
Not worth a 2 year upgrade even if the phone was free IMHO.
Whose idea was it to leave out the track pad ?
And the memory card slot ?

The MyTouch 4g is a much better phone even with all the T-Mobile bloatware.

:(

Don't diss the Nexus S. Sure it is not a big as an upgrade from the N1 but it is still the best phone on the market now. It is not for everyone but you have to admit is is a great phone.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't diss the Nexus S. Sure it is not a big as an upgrade from the N1 but it is still the best phone on the market now. It is not for everyone but you have to admit is is a great phone.

I've owned a G1, Nexus One, G2, Nexus S, and a MyTouch 4G.
The Nexus S is not a bad phone, but its not a great phone by
any stretch of the imagination.
Its not worth a two year contract at all.

Not saying the MyTouch 4g is worth a two year contract, but its
by far a better phone than the Nexus S.
Yeah it has its issues (TMO's bloatware) but it has a trackpad,
and a memory card slot, and its the fastest phone out for TMO hands down.

:D

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I disagree with your fastest on TMO statements. My nexus runs circles around my gfs mt4g. I can only say that's stock vs stock though.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the option of getting the MT4G for dirt cheap right now. I spent an hour or so with it in the T-Mobile store. I agree, the Nexus S was much smoother. Also, I couldn't stand the bloatware and the replacement of the search button for genius button. Of the two Nexus S or MT4G, I'd definitely go for the Nexus S. But hey.... that's just my opinion.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
its the fastest phone out for TMO hands down.

:D

You just lost all credibility.

Like whatever you like, but there's no need to lie about it. Take it from someone who has had over 40 different Android handsets -- the Nexus S is the fastest one yet. Or ask any other tech blogger, who gets to use all the Android phones out there, because they all agree.

Is it the best handset? No. That's subjective. But it is the fastest.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy my premium plastic feel. I think the plastic complaint is overblown like the antennagate thing was with the iPhone. Personally liking it more than the feel of the captivate.

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
after thinking long and hard, i have decided to GET the nexus S :cool: and keep my nexus one as a back up phone. Just sent word to my friend in Boston to pick one up, can't wait now!

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I think Jerry's review here on Android Central pretty much sums it up. Bottom line, if you have no desire to really "tinker" with your Android phone, unlock the bootloader, root it, load custom ROMs, etc, then in my opinion, look elsewhere. From a pure hardware perspective, there are better hardware features in other T-mobile Android phones, along with other carriers. (even bigger screens, HD video, HDMI out, UI overlays that actually are nice, HTC Sense, 4G speeds, microSD slots etc.). I personally like pure Android, and the ability to load whatever I want on the phone, including updates from Google. But honestly, the way that typically works (and how it worked for me on the N1) was I got the early ROMs with new Google code from others in the hacker community first (cyanogen, modaco, etc.), and that's really where the fun is :)

As an upgrade from the N1, I thought it was worth it for screen size and quality (especially outside in the sun, the N1 was absolutely unusable for that), MUCH better touchscreen responsiveness, including true multitouch, overall Hummingbird is faster then Snapdragon on the same 1 GHz clock speed, even on other Galaxy S phones with UI overlays. Also for me, the front-facing camera was big, as now I "Tango" with my wife on her iPhone 4.
I do not need more then 16 gig (13 gig usable storage). As most of my listening is Pandora, Audible, and podcasts. And I use DoubleTwist AirSync for rotating various music from my iTunes library. No need for me to have lots of local video storage, so again, the built-in 16gig was fine. And also, as mentioned, is faster then SD storage I feel, subjective as that may be.

I would love to see, or hope to see, NFC start to propogate this coming year, so that functionality on the Nexus S will get use. Right now, I think the first thing almost all of us did after opening the box was going into settings and turning off NFC to save on the battery :). 2nd step was fastboot oem unlock of course :cool:

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I think Jerry's review here on Android Central pretty much sums it up. Bottom line, if you have no desire to really "tinker" with your Android phone, unlock the bootloader, root it, load custom ROMs, etc, then in my opinion, look elsewhere.

I'm not sure I would agree. I love my nexus s and haven't tinkered with it one bit. I personally think that's the beauty of the phone (no bloatware/skins/unnecessary battery robbing programs). Now as for my gf's mytouch 4g, I don't think I could go a day without installing a custom rom, all the crap they load on there is just rediculous.

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
robstunner,
True, true, you don't necessarily have to want to load ROMs as a prerequisite to getting a Nexus S. My point was only that this phone, and the Nexus One before it, was designed by Google and Samsung to be "hackable", and that's a real bonus if you're into that sort of thing. Of course, have stock Android out of the box with no bloatware is a huge plus, regardless of hacking the phone.

Then I again, I know many people with Android phones with Sense, Touchwiz, etc., who like the extra "stuff"

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
From a pure hardware perspective, there are better hardware features in other T-mobile Android phones, along with other carriers. (even bigger screens, HD video (...) 4G speeds, microSD slots etc.).
:

HD Video- I think the Nexus S will get HD recording in an update. It doesn't have it because Stock Android doesn't support it. I hope that the future Android update will bring this feature, if stock Honeycomb has HD recording then I bet when the Nexus S gets Ice Cream it will have it. Also don't you remember this article? The video was shot in HD.

4G- Here is a really good point from another AC member:
In terms of no 4G, it really isn't a big deal at all. I'll tell you why. I really hope people would stop listing it as an issue, or a reason not to get a Nexus S.

As of right now you'll see the same speeds on a Nexus S as you would on a "4G" G2 or MT4G on T-Mo's "4G network". The Nexus S is able to take advantage of the increased speeds on T-Mobiles networks where HSPA+ has been deployed. The Nexus S' radio supports a max download speed of 7.2 Mbps while the G2 and MT4G have 14.4Mbps radios. That 14.4Mbps radio is what T-Mobile refers to as a "4G" capable phone.

The difference in radio speed doesn't really come into play in current real world situations. The fastest network speeds I have found in my area (L.A.) has been a little above 5Mbps down and close to 2Mbps up. I'm able to get those speeds on both a G2 (4G HSPA+ phone) and the Nexus S.

So, for now, you're going to get the same speeds with the Nexus S as you would with a "4G" HSPA+ phone on T-Mobiles network. At least until they increase the network speeds again. When that happens, the "4G" HSPA+ devices will be in better shape because they'll be able to take advantage of that added bandwidth. However, right now all that is irrelevant.

My Nexus S is 4G Hell, when all the carriers call their networks 4G when they aren't......why shouldn't we all just say that the Nexus S is a "4G" phone. After all, it can handle the full capacity of the current "4G" network.....So doesn't that make it a "4G" device??

I apologize for going on about this issue, but I'm kinda sick of hearing so many people point out this "lack of 4G" and complain like a little girl. I'm perfectly happy with 5-6Mbps downloads on the cell network until I get my next device in a year or so.

Read more about what others see as "drawbacks" about the Nexus S on my thread Nexus S Answers.

Last edited:

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
HD Video- I am 99.9% positive the the Nexus S will get HD video recoding. My reason behind this is that the Nexus One received this in an update and the Galaxy S line of phones have HD recording so there is no doubt the Nexus S will get it in an update. .

Really? You sure there was a stock Google update on Froyo to the Nexus One to support 720p HD video? Not sure about that. We did get HD video via cyanogenmod 6, and probably other custom ROMs, but didn't think Google pushed that out to the N1 themselves.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
As i've just posted in another thread:-

The main reason I decided to upgrade to the Nexus S from the Nexus One was because of the extra internal storage space.

The lack of SD slot doesn't particularly bother me, as I never filled the 4GB card I had in the Nexus One (I have an iPod for music and podcasts which also saves on the phones battery life). Also, from what I understand, the USB storage is faster than an SD card?

I do miss the trackball. Not for it's navigation, as I quickly got used to the new selection functionality, but for it's notification features.

The screen on the Nexus S is really nice, and unlike my Nexus One, it's fingerprint free, even with my oily mits :D

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone able to compare the touch screen responsiveness of the nexus S compared to the iPhone? Has the gap narrowed now that Google has given the nexus a proper multitouch screen?

add119

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
@going home I agree with him. Nexus s isn't upgrade if you have HTC G2 or NExus 1. Anyone know 1gb of storage is lame especially when t-mobile have Samsung Vibrant which modified version of it. If you hacker u can get stock on it.

Verizon have 3 android phones(droid x,droid 2,droid incredible) with 7.4 gb internal storage. Nexus S is going to be another Nexus One ignore because of lack of suppier and commericial. Anyone smart with verizon won't buy this.. $530 for 1.2gb? Verizon phone charge without contract 7.4gb for $50 more and worth it.. 4 times more memory then lame t-mobile.

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
what? i dont get any of what your saying. first it has 16 gigs of storage and second what would that have to do with verizon or tmo? i had both and verizon might be the worse company to deal with and plus when are there phones getting 2.3.3? i save more with tmo and get faster 3g.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21