Buy Nexus S NOW or WAIT?

Aria807

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi I am currently using a Nokia E65. It's about 3-4 years old. I could use a new phone on a priority level of maybe a 6 out of 10.

I was thinking about getting a G2 at first around November, but then this Nexus S came out, so I have been thinking about getting the Nexus S lately. I'm not a very heavy phone user but it would be nice to have a phone that has 3G since my current phone is pretty oldschool compared to phones today.

I've been reading that the LG dual core phone is coming out in March for Tmobile. Should I wait or just get this Nexus S? And again, I'm not a very heavy phone user maybe because my phone right now can't really do much, but perhaps the LG would be too much for what I'd need? Also, if I am getting the Nexus S, should I wait a bit for other places to sell it to besides Best Buy or is this going to stay exclusive to Best Buy?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I say get the Nexus S now because it is Google's phone. It won't ever go out of style as long as Google employs it. Sure there are a lot of missing things but you can find solutions for them in my thread Nexus S answers just click on it in my Signature. It will be like the N1, look at it. It has been out for a year and is still top of the line. Also IDK if Gingerbread or Honeycomb are ready for Dual Core, IDK but I think Ice Cream will be ready for that and whenever Android is ready for it you can be sure there will be a Nexus dual core and maybe that will be when you should get a dual core phone. Think about this. I say get it now. Thank me if this helps! Good luck with choosing your phone.

Reactions: Aria807

Aria807

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea that's what I thought. I'm not really on the phone 24/7 and I think the Nexus S features are more than adequate for my purposes. Things I am more concerned about is the GPS signal. I was looking up cons for this phone and that's what came up. However after browsing this forum, it turns out most people don't have that problem so I don't really think I need to worry about it.

I'm also not coming from a phone of this caliber in term of function so I doubt I will be disappointed. It seems like a lot of people on this forum changes phones like every couple of months o_O

But yea, thanks for your input. I will probably be ordering this phone in the next couple of days :) It will be a nice jump from a Nokia E65.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ya you will enjoy it a lot. It is a great phone. So far I have not had any issues with GPS or anything else it has worked perfectly. Also if my advice has helped you please thank me by pushing the thanks button under my posts. Thank you a lot!

Reactions: Aria807

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Ya you will enjoy it a lot. It is a great phone. So far I have not had any issues with GPS or anything else it has worked perfectly. Also if my advice has helped you please thank me by pushing the thanks button under my posts. Thank you a lot!

What happens when someone thanks you in a post? Does it get promoted as the best response like in Yahoo Answers or something?

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Since you're coming from a nokia, get the Nexus S as that'll be a huge upgrade for you. You'll get the Pure google experience, no carrier bloatware etc. which is something the dual core and tegra 2 phones won't have when they're unveiled at CES.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Since you're coming from a nokia, get the Nexus S as that'll be a huge upgrade for you. You'll get the Pure google experience, no carrier bloatware etc. which is something the dual core and tegra 2 phones won't have when they're unveiled at CES.

I couldn't have said it better!

Aria807

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Haha yea... I didn't want any bloatware to deal with.

I was about to get the G2 when there was a deal on amazon where I could get it for free basically but I recall the G2 couldn't really be rooted cuz they have some sort of chip that will flash the rom right back if the system is altered. Though I probably won't really care to root or not, I just rather not have limitations.

Oh yea, I forgot to add, I am currently on a family plan and I think we are on the cheap plan that doesn't allow for upgrade discounts. I chatted with the T-mobile CSR and they said I could get the contract extension but my plan will increase by $10 and $30 (unlimited 3g/4g). So basically, I would just go on Best Buy and order the phone and bring it to a T-mobile store? Or does anyone know if this phone will stay exclusively sold at Best Buy?

Last edited:

KU Kitch

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Haha yea... I didn't want any bloatware to deal with.

I was about to get the G2 when there was a deal on amazon where I could get it for free basically but I recall the G2 couldn't really be rooted cuz they have some sort of chip that will flash the rom right back if the system is altered. Though I probably won't really care to root or not, I just rather not have limitations.

Oh yea, I forgot to add, I am currently on a family plan and I think we are on the cheap plan that doesn't allow for upgrade discounts. I chatted with the T-mobile CSR and they said I could get the contract extension but my plan will increase by $10 and $30 (unlimited 3g/4g). So basically, I would just go on Best Buy and order the phone and bring it to a T-mobile store? Or does anyone know if this phone will stay exclusively sold at Best Buy?

I just bought it outright at Best Buy, and as far as I know for the near-term at least, it will only be available at Best Buy. You should just be able to buy it there and swap your SIM card from the Nokia to the NS. If it's as old as you mentioned, you might want a new SIM as well as they have been upgraded a couple times I guess and you may see better signal/speed with a newer card. That would be the only reason you should need to hit T-Mo though.

If you buy it outright, you won't have to add anything to your plan, and if you don't have data you won't have to add it unless you want it but you will need WiFi to take advantage of many of the features it offers... But you're probably aware of that too

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually the Nexus S comes with a T-Mo sim in the box. Kind of handy! :)

Also, I don't think you can go wrong with the NS. I'm very particular about my phones and I've found this to be the best Android experience. The phone is very well built and feels more solid/weighty than the other Galaxy S phones.

The front facing camera currently has limited use, but from what Andy Rubin leaked during All Things Mobile, it looks like Android 3.0 will have Google Talk/Video built in.

Only problem I have with the phone is that there is no good cases!! I ordered an Amzer TPU case but it doesn't have a ship date yet, lol.

sherifone

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Can we install android 3.0 when it is out?

Absolutely. The Nexus phones will always be the first to receive Android updates. Its the main selling point when purchasing these "Pure Google" experience phones :)

"Nexus" phones receive straight Android Open Source Project (ASOP) builds, with small modifications just to fix hardware specific bugs/issues.

Whats even more interesting is that these phones usually receive the update before the code is even made available to the public, and other manufacturers. At the very best, other phones will be 2-4 months behind and at worst 6-10 months behind the Nexus branded devices.

Aria807

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I have a question tho, how do I manage music files on this phone? On my Nokia E65 I had a File Manager and it worked like Windows Explorer and it had a bunch of organized folders to store files. On my Nexus S, I plug it into my comp and USB mode and it's pretty scrambled. Bunch of folders maybe some are for system.

I also tried downloading stuff from dropbox but I can't find where it stores to.