Nexus S restarting during calls

duddyroar

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen to me twice, but not during a call, but rather at the end of the call.

Both times I've moved the phone away from my face and expected to see the screen power-up again (as it obviously switches off when it senses you're holding it next to your face) but nothing happens. A few worried stabs of the power/unlock button later, and the phone turns back on.

Although this might be a common fault I'm tempted to return the phone to Carphone Warehouse because I'm still in my 14 day period. Can you exchange items purchased online in-store? Don't want to have to post it off and wait for them to get a new one to me.

duddyroar

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention - this happened during standard cell calls, with Wi-Fi switched on (but both times it wasn't actually connected to a Wi-Fi point).

amason

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I suspect it is a software problem. I'll try to reproduce the issue this lunch time and take a copy of the log.

Btw, where is the best place to report this issue?

ScooterG

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Your best shot would to contact Samsung and notify them of this issue. They should be able to solve it.

@GalaxySsupport: Hi Scooter. We've been unable to replicate this behavior. Perhaps an app is interfering. (cont)

@galaxySsupport.: You could try a hard reset then add back apps one-by-one. Please let me know if I can assist you with this. ^Mary

amason

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the same response:

@GalaxySsupport: Hi Andrew. We've been unable to replicate this behavior. Perhaps an app is interfering. You could try a hard reset then add (cont)

@GalaxySsupport: back apps one-by-one. Furthermore, I can't really speculate on the phone's behavior as I can only support its use in the US. ^Mary

duddyroar

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I find it highly unlikely that this is an app issue, esp given the number of reports on here. If it's a common fault with Galaxy S devices then that would suggest a common hardware problem.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had this since I did the factory reset (I haven't quite installed all the apps I had before), but I am monitoring it and slowly restoring the apps I had before.

When it did happen, it was the first calls I had made on the device, soon after applying the OTA.

Bluetooth: Off.
Wifi: On, but not connected.
GPS: On, but not connected.
Google Voice: Not available in the UK :( (Skype was installed however - I haven't reinstalled it yet).

I was walking at the time, but all the test calls I have made since have been whilst walking too.

Network: HSDPA (Vodafone UK SIM) - I will test a call on the same route I was walking when it first happened this evening.

Last edited:

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
And almost always, these spontaneous reboots seem to have trouble reading "USB Storage" afterward, for finding photos/music.

Maybe a coincidence, but I previously had moved all compatible apps to the USB storage, Since the Factory Reset, I haven't done this.

If I can get all my apps restored without the reboot occurring during a call, I'll start trying to move them to USB Storage.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay: took the same route home tonight and made the same call as in the first two reboots. Worked fine. I checked the network status at about the same place as the first reboot and noticed it was using Edge. It is possible that the signal type changed during the call.

For now, it looks like my factory reset has solved the problem, but I will continue to add stuff and try the same call each day.

Notable apps I haven't reinstalled yet are Skype and LauncherPro. I have the full list in app brain, I'll update this post with a link to that when I get home.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The reboot issue was reported to Google. Please add your comment and Star it to help escalate the acknowledge of the problem.

Issue 13674 - android - Phone reboots during an active call (Nexus S) - Project Hosting on Google Code

This issue has been rejected:

Although the Nexus One and Nexus S run pure Android, this issue tracker is not the place to report bugs for these devices. I am going to continue posting updates to this issue on the Google Mobile forum here:

Nexus S Random reboots - Google Mobile Help

Fortunately I still haven't had the issue since I factory reset.

Edit:

And...... it's opened again.

Last edited:

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
"Ry Guy has posted an answer to the question "Nexus S Random reboots:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your many useful reports. We are getting close to tracking down the root cause of the reboots during calls and are currently testing a fix to resolve the issue.

I'll come back to keep you informed once we know more."

duddyroar

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I had a pretty interesting reboot situation yesterday. I tried calling someone and they were engaged, so I ended the call and locked my phone. Five minutes later I got my phone out of my pocket to make another call, and the screen wouldn't power up...but the call from five minutes before was still going. After prodding the power button for a few seconds the phone rebooted.

Samsung have really out done themselves with this one. I hope this is a software and not hardware issue...

Also: My Nexus S randomly reboots multiple times per day, and so do many others – Android and Me

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay: took the same route home tonight and made the same call as in the first two reboots. Worked fine. I checked the network status at about the same place as the first reboot and noticed it was using Edge. It is possible that the signal type changed during the call.

Its supposed to if you're not using data. T-mobile's voice calls are not sent over 3G, so the phone's software will automatically boot the signal type down to EDGE or even GPRS (I've seen that more than once) to save power.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Except I'm in the UK on Vodafone. VodafoneUK's calls do go over UTMS where available (which is most of the time here in London).

You can find out what network type you are in during a call by going to Settings > About Phone > Status. My mobile network type is usually UTMS during a call (which is when you get the 3G icon if there is a data connection).