05-27-2011 06:34 PM
29 12
tools
    Is there currently any practical way to test the NFC? You know, just in case it's not working, or something. I don't want to find out in 2011 when NFC becomes more regular that I always had a defective NFC chip.
    12-31-2010 11:15 PM
    Ya you can order a NFC card from google.
    12-31-2010 11:22 PM
    Ya you can order a NFC card from google.
    Can you? Link?
    12-31-2010 11:32 PM
    HERE it is!
    12-31-2010 11:37 PM
    I ask because recently I've been turning the NFC on, and leaving it on, and sometimes when I check on it, it'll uncheck itself and say "An error occurred." I'd really hate to find out I have a defective NFC months later...

Anyone else? Android Central Editors; any of you guys experience this?
    TheCrazy88 likes this.
    12-31-2010 11:37 PM
    It's not defective it just happens. I experience it with everything. Just a glitch. You can call Google monday and tell them why you want one.
    12-31-2010 11:39 PM
    It's not defective it just happens. I experience it with everything. Just a glitch. You can call Google monday and tell them why you want one.
    Hi Baconator, I'm not understanding you.

Can you recreate the NFC "an error occurred" message too when you attempt to turn on your NFC in the Wireless & Network Settings menu?

What do you mean you experience it with everything? When you try to turn other things 'on' on your Nexus S, it says "an error occurred"?
    01-01-2011 12:08 AM
    No I sometimes try to turn on wifi and I get that message. I do it again and it works. I try to connect to another network I get that message, try it again and it works. I try to open a app and I get that message and i try it again it works. It happens, it is just a glitch. It doesn't always happen but when it does it doesn't bother me because I know Gingerbread can't be perfect. It just happens. No biggie.
    01-01-2011 12:16 AM
    Baconator, can you -- or anyone else -- recreate the exact issue I'm referring to in this thread? Can you recreate the "an error occurred" when trying to turn on ("checK") your NFC option in the Wireless & Network Settings menu? If so, I'd like to know specifically with the NFC option. Anyone?

Thanks.
    01-01-2011 12:24 AM
    No I haven't messed with the NFC option, I just turned it off to save battery and that's all.
    01-01-2011 12:35 AM
    No I haven't messed with the NFC option, I just turned it off to save battery and that's all.
    That's not the question I asked, but thanks anyway.
    01-01-2011 12:54 AM
    oh, at least I tried
    01-01-2011 12:56 AM
    Has anyone been able to recreate the issue I'm referring to -- when attempting to turn on the NFC option in the 'Wireless & Network Settings' menu, does anyone get "an error occurred" message instead of it turning on?
    01-01-2011 12:58 AM
    Baconator, please stop trolling this thread if you have no interest in it. I already contacted Samsung and filed a report to Google.

I'm attempting to see if this issue is only with my phone, or if it's also occurring with others. Can anyone recreate the "an error occurred" message when attempting to turn on NFC in their Wireless Network Settings menu?

Update: Members at XDA are able to recreate the error message, and like myself, have to reboot to get NFC working again. Not sure if this is a hardware related or software related issue. Regardless, here's the filed report to Google: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13581 If anyone else is getting this "error" message with their NFC, and wants more attention brought to Google about this, feel free to visit the link and star it. Thanks.
    01-01-2011 09:12 AM
    I just tried and the NFC option enables without error on my Nexus.
    01-01-2011 11:45 AM
    I just tried and the NFC option enables without error on my Nexus.
    Thanks for trying Fangorious. Some can recreate the problem, some cannot. Not sure what's the deal.
    01-01-2011 12:51 PM
    Where could I get one? I am interested in trying it, like you, I don't want to be out of the loop in a couple years with a disfunctional feature.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant
    01-02-2011 01:36 AM
    Right HERE!
    01-02-2011 01:50 AM
    Just wondering if anyone has been able to test the NFC with the card from Google yet?
    01-02-2011 04:13 AM
    I've discovered my NFC can read my library card, though it doesn't recognize the information read from the card. Other things I've heard you can test with are certain credit cards that have some sort of "fast pay" feature (meaning, you can hold your card up to a reader, instead of swiping it to make a purchase), certain debit cards, and if you have a passport made after 2006, it has an NFC chip in it.

More likely than not, your phone won't recognize the information, but at least you'll know your NFC is working.
    01-02-2011 12:08 PM
    Try swiping your phone across a credit card, subway pass, or passport while NFC is on to test it -- demo is here:
    Gingerbread feature: Near Field Communication | Android Central

Yes, if I toggle the NFC switch enough times I will see the error notification. It still works as intended though. Looks like there is a "cool down" time on the NFC hardware, and messages to the kernel are getting picked up as errors. Either the filter needs tweaked (the filter that reports kernel messages) or the output from the NFC hardware needs "re-worded"
    01-02-2011 02:03 PM
    Try swiping your phone across a credit card, subway pass, or passport while NFC is on to test it -- demo is here:
    Gingerbread feature: Near Field Communication | Android Central

Yes, if I toggle the NFC switch enough times I will see the error notification. It still works as intended though. Looks like there is a "cool down" time on the NFC hardware, and messages to the kernel are getting picked up as errors. Either the filter needs tweaked (the filter that reports kernel messages) or the output from the NFC hardware needs "re-worded"
    Interesting. Thanks Gbhil for testing. Good information.
    01-02-2011 10:02 PM
    Mine does this too. You can also use a "PayPass" enabled credit card to trigger NFC. It picks mine up inconsistently, about half of the time. It seems to work a few times in a row, then stops working for a while. Sometimes it shows unchecked in the settings menu with the "An error has occurred" message.
    01-04-2011 08:44 PM
    This message is not a problem. It is because you are turning the NFC off and on and it is messing the phone up.

Just like a switch to a light bulb. If you are turning it on and off and on and off and on and off the bulb will blow out. Of course the NFC won't blow out but you will get a message. I got the same message.

The NFC is not a toy for you to turn on and off on and off on and off etc... The message "an error occurred" is telling you if you want to use the NFC leave it on if not leave it off until you want to use it.
    01-04-2011 08:54 PM
    Baconator, I think you are missing what I am saying. It disables on its own, displaying the error. It does not require me to toggle it to cause this issue.

I'd be willing to bet that more mature software / drivers will resolve the issue.
    01-05-2011 03:03 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD