Does anyone (any of the editors) know if Blindtype is already implemented into the stock Android keyboard? While the Gingerbread keyboard is improved over Froyo and previous iterations, it still seems like one sore spot in the Android experience, especially when compared to typing on the iPhone (or even an iPod). I'm not attempting to start any immature Apple vs. Google flame wars, but anyone who has typed extensively on both platforms will understand what I mean. I can type far more confidently on the iPhone/iPod.

And it's unfortunate that Google copies all of Apple's cues, even the mistakes. For example, the lack of features like custom auto-correct or option to use long-press to type secondary symbols.

I'm currently using Smart Keyboard Pro, which is as responsive as a keyboard can get with Android (I've tried many, including Swiftkey), but it still doesn't seem fully optimized for Gingerbread. It especially misses space bar taps which results in words likethis way too often; and it seems to miss keys that are close together, for example, when typing "you." The stock Android keyboard is a hair more responsive thank SKP, but the lack of features makes it unusable to me. I constantly type "km" when typing "I'm" for example, and if it had custom auto-correction, this wouldn't be a problem.

Sorry to get off point, but just explaining why I'm eager to have Blindtype implemented. The potentials of it are astounding (observe: ). So, does anybody know more about Blindtype; if it's already in use, or when it might be?

Edit: Also, has anyone noticed that when your finger hovers above the screen, but isn't touching it, the phone still registers that as a press? This might be the cause of mistyping and spelling errors when typing fast. It's as if the screen is a bit too sensitive.
    01-03-2011 10:12 AM
    The Gingerbread keyboard does have the option to long press secondary characters. The top row of keys does have the numbers on it as well. If you long press the period you get a list of the secondary characters and symbols.
    01-03-2011 11:31 AM
    The Gingerbread keyboard does have the option to long press secondary characters. The top row of keys does have the numbers on it as well. If you long press the period you get a list of the secondary characters and symbols.
    Right. I should clarify, I mean have universal long press for all the keys. For example, in SKP, long pressing M will put in the question mark, or long pressing Z will give you the exclamation point, or long pressing A will give you @. It's a lot faster and convenient, I feel, than long pressing the period and choosing the symbol (I find it's faster to just hit the Alt key to get the symbols in that way).
    01-03-2011 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD