Market reverting back again?

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
I installed the APK for the new Market and a few days later the old Market is back. Sooooooo... ummm... WTF?

Who has gotten the OTA update and did anybody get reverted back on their Nexus S? -Pk

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Goodness, the new Market is hideous. I wouldn't mind the aesthetics of it if it weren't also so cumbersome to use. All the information of an app is aggregated onto a single page (no more tabs?) and just feels cluttered and disorganized.

Very sloppy design, in my opinion.

Edit: Not to mention it's slower.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Goodness, the new Market is hideous. I wouldn't mind the aesthetics of it if it weren't also so cumbersome to use.
I think it is terrible as well. The old old market used to have everything on one page and I was so happy when they moved it over to tabs to make the comments etc quickly accessible. This new market puts small snippets back into the dogpile, which I find useless because the info is limited and still requires an extra step.

Plus for some reason I often have to click the install button several times. It's also very buggy when you do a full restore, as it sometimes gets stuck with a bunch of them paused and you have to babysit a hundred app installs.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Goodness, the new Market is hideous. I wouldn't mind the aesthetics of it if it weren't also so cumbersome to use. All the information of an app is aggregated onto a single page (no more tabs?) and just feels cluttered and disorganized.

Very sloppy design, in my opinion.

Edit: Not to mention it's slower.

Onthecouch, is there anything about Android you like? I see you posting about all the issues you find with it, I'm just curious what you like about it? Not meaning disrespect or anything, but it seems like you haven't found anything to like about Android :)

On topic:
Of course it's a personal thing, but I like the new layout of the market. Still some things to tweak, like having comments on their own tab is probably a better design. But how it does two different views between landscape and portrait is pretty cool.

I Installed the latest APK and it seems to be hangin' around over several reboots. Not sure if it's going to last or not, though.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Onthecouch, is there anything about Android you like? I see you posting about all the issues you find with it, I'm just curious what you like about it? Not meaning disrespect or anything, but it seems like you haven't found anything to like about Android :)

Legitimate question given my criticisms. There's plenty about Android I like and even some things I love: the ability to customize, the way it syncs with Google, the home screens, the development community and support, the fact that my home screens and settings truly looks unique to me (as oppose to say, every iPhone looking virtually the same with a change of wallpaper being the only difference), widgets, etc. There's plenty to enjoy.

However, I'm quick to criticize Android's shortcomings. I feel it more relevant to talk about the problems. If I am harsh, it's because I want to see Android grow and improve -- there are lots of areas it can, even needs to (this is of course true for other OS's as well). Notably, in my personal opinion, the stability, the keyboard (probably the most aggravating part of Android, personally - it's impossible to type without having one and/or two of these problems: 1) repeated hits resulting in words like tthis or thiss or 2) missed hits, despite seeing the popup preview confirming you hit the right key, resulting in words like ths or tis; this is especially true with the space bar, resulting in words likethis -- all very frustrating), and specifically with Gingerbread: the random ringtone changes, reboots during phone calls, home screen and gallery issues, etc.

There are also some more minor issues which I just don't understand. For example, sometimes when you open a field that requires typing, the keyboard doesn't show up. You have to tap on the empty field to bring up the keyboard. This isn't intuitive. Or when the keyboard does show, sometimes the cursor will be at the beginning of the word you want to highlight/change, instead of at the end or instead of having the entire word highlighted. Just one of many examples of small issues that are puzzling to me.

If and until Apple one day changes their direction and allow for widgets, more customizations, more freedom, I will probably remain an Android user.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea how people could possibly hate the new market, its fast and nice and very pretty.

Sent from my Nexus S

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
There are also some more minor issues which I just don't understand. For example, sometimes when you open a field that requires typing, the keyboard doesn't show up. You have to tap on the empty field to bring up the keyboard. This isn't intuitive.
Understand also that devices with hard keyboards (the only way to go :) :) support the onscreen keyboards too, so the keyboard popups are often not automatic whenever you enter a field. I agree with you that improvement is welcome, but I'm not so much into some newer features (Gingerbread UI is hideous) so I like the different choices most of all.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Legitimate question given my criticisms. There's plenty about Android I like and . . . .

Cool. I guess it's from being present throughout the growth of computers (DOS then all versions of Windows; just missed the CP/M days), but as long as it works, I over look somethings as just "quirks", lol. For example, the browser's address bar sometimes gets stuck in "loading" even though the page is loaded. It needs to be addressed, but it doesnt bother me ... too badly.

If i had the reboot issue that some have, I'd be singing a different tune, though. I suppose I've noticed some issues on the keyboard, but then, touch screen keyboards always give me fits. I've used iPhones, and I seem to get just as many "missed" key presses with them as Android. But I love the thin form-factor and accept the lack of typing ability as the cost. :p

I guess I've gotten some good units because all of the other stuff I've seen written about doesn't seem to effect my phone or my wife's phone, and I would know from her if there were issues.

Even the new market runs great! [See back on topic ;)] No slow downs and no sluggishness that can't be explained by bad network coverage.

-Mark

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will say, since the 2.3.2 update, the new Market seems to run smoother.

However, I'm sorely disappointed by the update. I see it hasn't addressed the random ringtone changes, nor the gallery issues (where when you attempt to open one picture, it'll open another, sometimes from an entirely different album).

I have to confess, I am becoming more and more disenchanted by Google and the "pure Android" experience.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have to confess, I am becoming more and more disenchanted by Google and the "pure Android" experience.
I choose vendor specific apps sometimes because the "pure" google ones have annoying bugs, or lack basic features. IIRC the Android email doesn't even have search, but most vendor versions do. I don't know if they are using the same code as a base or what, and the hope is that some bug fixes and features get backported to core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles