I am really a fan of google, but I really despise what all the phone manufacturers and service providers are allowed to do android phones. Locked bootloaders, slow software upgrades, UI's, bloatware, and altering the OS to make it harder to customize.
    Apple doesn't have this problem, WP7 doesn't have this problem, but android gets destroyed. Some of the UI interfaces are ok and I understand they make the OS easier for new people, but that should be limited to app downloads.
    Three players being involved in software development(Google, manufacturer, service provider is just to much). And yes I understand you can root the phones and risk screwing it up, and losing your warranty.
    All these new phone coming out with all these bells and whistles, quad cpu's, flex capacitors, 8 cameras, and BJ's. With the exception of the BJ's the phones software will be outdated in three months and you will freak out and hi jack a bus full of penguins.
    01-19-2011 04:08 PM
    Android is great because it's an open ecosystem. The "drawback" of this is Google can't tell manufacturers and carriers what to do with it. Be a smart consumer and buy something that doesn't have these problems like... bum budda dah! The Nexus S
    01-19-2011 05:37 PM
    Android is great because it's an open ecosystem. The "drawback" of this is Google can't tell manufacturers and carriers what to do with it. Be a smart consumer and buy something that doesn't have these problems like... bum budda dah! The Nexus S
    Or a iphone or a WP7
    01-19-2011 06:23 PM
    I am really a fan of google, but I really despise what all the phone manufacturers and service providers are allowed to do android phones. Locked bootloaders, slow software upgrades, UI's, bloatware, and altering the OS to make it harder to customize.
    Apple doesn't have this problem, WP7 doesn't have this problem, but android gets destroyed. Some of the UI interfaces are ok and I understand they make the OS easier for new people, but that should be limited to app downloads.
    Three players being involved in software development(Google, manufacturer, service provider is just to much). And yes I understand you can root the phones and risk screwing it up, and losing your warranty.
    All these new phone coming out with all these bells and whistles, quad cpu's, flex capacitors, 8 cameras, and BJ's. With the exception of the BJ's the phones software will be outdated in three months and you will freak out and hi jack a bus full of penguins.
    Uh, Apple's iOS is pretty restrictive, especially customization. Don't know about WP7. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone with a WP7 device!
    That whole "lose your warranty" is just a big scare tactic. If your device is operational enough to view thru the see if you're rooted, jailbroken and/or unlocked, then it's also operational enough to factory restore. Just sayin'...

For all those examples you stated (locked bootloaders, slow software upgrades, UIs, bloatware, and customization) and if indeed both hardware and software becomes obsolete in three months, what better excuse than to root and tinker around with custom mods? I figure I might as well push my device to see it's full potential before the next wonder-device is released.
    01-19-2011 07:06 PM
    Or a iphone or a WP7
    I mentioned above that the open system was what made Android great. WP7 and iOS aren't open.
    01-19-2011 07:31 PM
    How is it open software if manufacturers and carriers destroy the OS with Ui's and locking bootloaders?
    01-19-2011 08:51 PM
    How is it open software if manufacturers and carriers destroy the OS with Ui's and locking bootloaders?
    Because Google gives anyone permission to do what they want with the software, Open Source means I can build my own UI on top of it if I so choose. Don't blame Google, people are doing with it what they wanted, customizing and USING it. You are no different, root your device and go to town.
    01-19-2011 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD