Question for the Nexus Folks

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Posted this in the Evo forum, but also wanted an opinion from the Nexus guys as well.

So right now I have a Nexus S. Great phone, and hardware that's definitely nowhere near as bad as I've heard about Samsung. The software is pretty good as well, but its also unpolished and still buggy. I know sense, like Sense, and I miss some things that the Nexus doesn't have. (chief among them is the notification LED, which I'm missing more than I thought I would)

Here's my dilemma: Tomorrow is the end of my 14 day buyer's remorse period for the Nexus. Would I be absolutely insane if I exchanged the Nexus for an Evo? Speeds for both networks are comparable, and the devices themselves are pretty comparable too. The only issue, obviously, is that the Nexus is a month old and the Evo is going on 7. I know HTC and Sprint will update it until Android outstrips the phone's capabilities, and Sprint will support it for a long while, but obviously it just isn't as 'fresh' as the Nexus.

Thoughts?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer. Get you what you like. If you feel the EVO suits your needs better, then get it. No need to get anyone's blessing :)

Phones are like computers were 10 years ago. New ones come out often, and better ones are always rumored, if you wait for the latest model you'll never buy anything.

Personally, I like the Nexus phones precisly for the fact they're pretty much a "base" model. It's a blank slate that you add what you want to them. I was quite happy to find the Nexus S didn't even have Facebook preloaded!

DPtheKid

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
If you want pure google stick to your nexus. If you want updates first stick to your nexus. If you NEED a LED get the Evo. I thought I needed it but i used this app called noLED and it uses the screen. check it out :)

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that both phones are old in Smartphone World now. Whether you get one or the other won't matter much. There will be another Android phone within the next few months that will be a lot better than both Evo and Nexus S.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that both phones are old in Smartphone World now. Whether you get one or the other won't matter much. There will be another Android phone within the next few months that will be a lot better than both Evo and Nexus S.

yeah but he is already into the deal and he is not going to sit without a phone for the next couple months in hope for something better. if were were to wait like that we would be waiting forever for somthing better.

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i dont think i could ever go to anything else after the nexus s but thats just my opinion. HTC would be my first choice for a non pure google experience. not having the led is the best though cause it doesnt make me check it at work if i hear it to stop it from blinking.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
We cannot decide for you, but I love my Nexus, the Evo is much more outdated than the Nexus S, that's solving am gonna say.

Sent from my Nexus S

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I ended up sticking with the Nexus. The screen and network were ultimately the deciding factors. If the Evo had the Nexus' amazing screen (at an appropriate 4.3 inches of course) and T-mobile's blazing network, it would be my dream device.

I think I'm going to try out some different launchers and find one that'll keep me busy for a while, haha.

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I ended up sticking with the Nexus. The screen and network were ultimately the deciding factors. If the Evo had the Nexus' amazing screen (at an appropriate 4.3 inches of course) and T-mobile's blazing network, it would be my dream device.

I think I'm going to try out some different launchers and find one that'll keep me busy for a while, haha.

good choice buddy! Check modaco forums, they might have a sense gingerbread rom eventually that you can put on your nexus. There are still a lot of other things you could do to get it to be like sense. If you're really desperate, just flash a sense froyo rom. There are plenty of those

pathfinder3

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried MoDaCo's custom ROM but Team Whiskey's Bionix is nice. I'm currently in love with TeamDouche's CM7 especially with TW Trinity kernel. Talk about blazing fast!

As for launchers, I really like the stock GB launcher. I haven't tried Launcher Pro Plus, but I think ADW Launcher EX is fantastic.

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S = best Android phone out imo.

I have the Droid X and while it's nice, I just find the S to be better. I only switched to Verizon because of the original Droid in 2009. Now that Tmobile has great devices, I've decided to go back. Coverage is just as good here, they're much cheaper, and I prefer GSM to CDMA. Can't wait to sell my X and get me an S.

Art DeCoeur

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Good Choice! I had the HTC HD2, which is basically the Evo with Windows. I know they are not the same phone, and I could go on and on about the nightmares I had. However, on issue was that I got tired of the huge phone. I love the size of the Nexus S. it's perfect. I love the pure google experience and automatic updates, etc. Great phone...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463