contacts from number pad

Art DeCoeur

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I LOVE MY NEW NEXUS S! But was disappointed that I cannot access my (1100) contacts using my number pad. It is too cumbersome to always scroll or use the alphabet key pad. This basic contact finding feature is on all the other smart phones I've had, including just basic generic phones as well, including my sons samsung vibrant. Any suggestions on a good dialer program or news that they might bring back this feature with an update?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
These aren't ideal solutions but:

You can always star contacts so that they appear in your "Favorites" tab. It'll be a shorter list to go through than your full contact list.

You can also create short cuts to contacts on your home screen. You can even create a dedicated direct-dial contact short cut, so that when you press it, it immediately dials that person. That's what I use for the 4 main people I call in my life, and I keep it designated to one of the 5 home screens. Just long press and choose "shortcut" then "direct dial." If you have a lot, you can put these direct-dials into a folder, or download Circle Widget to place them in (Circle Widget is basically a stylized folder that fans open instead of just opens into a boxy looking folder).

Or lastly, you can just hit the search button and type the first few letters of said contact.

I know these ideas aren't what you're looking for, but hope they help.

Reactions: Art DeCoeur

Art DeCoeur

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ya... I just installed one called dialer2. It was exactly what I wanted. I put the icon on my homescreen. It also give options of speed-dial, which I have not found in the default dialer.... anyone know if our phone offers speed-dial?

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Dialer 1 and 2 are both good. Just tried 'em out. Howz atakephone different? Just too lazy to download that and try as well....
(I'm still on the prehistoric pathetic 2G edge-gprs......POOR ME)