Nexus S & Gorilla Glass

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I know there has been a lot of speculation about the Nexus S not using Gorilla glass but I'm not 100% sure thats correct. On the Gorilla glass website it states that only a few phones are listed and some phone are not allowed to be listed to due to contracts and stipulations. Also, I've read that some people believe it can't be Gorilla glass due to the screen being curved. However, Gorilla glass is bendable and can be formed into any shape they like. I posted a link to a video to show this.

All I want to know is if the phone has it or not. All I can find it one tweet with someone saying the "Nexus D" is not Gorilla glass. Can we get some more proof than that? It would be great to know.

Gorilla Glass Demonstration on Vimeo

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I know there has been a lot of speculation about the Nexus S not using Gorilla glass but I'm not 100% sure thats correct. On the Gorilla glass website it states that only a few phones are listed and some phone are not allowed to be listed to due to contracts and stipulations. Also, I've read that some people believe it can't be Gorilla glass due to the screen being curved. However, Gorilla glass is bendable and can be formed into any shape they like. I posted a link to a video to show this.

All I want to know is if the phone has it or not. All I can find it one tweet with someone saying the "Nexus D" is not Gorilla glass. Can we get some more proof than that? It would be great to know.

Gorilla Glass Demonstration on Vimeo
Does it matter? Its something comprable, even though it isn't. Unless you beat your phone to hell it doesn't make a difference.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It matters because I have a case now and my Invisishield is already scratched up and it causes bad reflections in the sunlight. I'd like to remove it but i'm not taking that chance without gorilla glass.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't use NS and even I know they don't use Gorilla glass but hey most of the display these days are very resistant. Now I'm not saying go scratch it key or something just use good case and screen protector and you will be fine. I had a lot of phones so I know. Also don't waste time and money with InvisibleSHEILD BS lol they claimed it was virtually indestructible but took me 3min after I got it to put hole in it lol it was the worst $30 I ever spent in my life as it was hell to apply it and looked funny gel like.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just how rough are you on your phone? :) Maybe I baby mine too much; but dropping $530 tends to make me take a little care, lol

I carry my phone in my blue jeans pocket (taking care of course not to keep change or keys in there with it) and I've yet to get any kind of scratch, mark, or other damage on the glass. The bezel is showing some wear, and the top/bottom of the case are showing fine scratches, but nothing wrong with the glass. (I've recently put a rubber case on the phone to try to keep the shiny bits shiny)

If you feel better protected by the films, then keep using them. Nothing like piece of mind! Personally, I hate the films. As you mention, they add reflections; scratch really easy; degrade the image quality, etc. etc. And it seems to me anything "stuck" onto the glass might cause more harm by leaving residue, trapping sand, and what not.

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Afraid it is not.

Just dropped my phone two feet and the screen cracked badly. I am sick to my stomach at this moment..

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It matters because I have a case now and my Invisishield is already scratched up and it causes bad reflections in the sunlight. I'd like to remove it but i'm not taking that chance without gorilla glass.

No, it doesn't matter if it has it. You're greatly overestimating the capabilities/defense that gorilla glass offers. It still scratches, and can still break just like any other glass. If you're as hard on your phone as you're saying, not even gorilla glass would do what you want.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I am SUPER careful with my phones. My HTC Hero looks BRAND NEW! I had it for a year and today it looks like it is straight out of the box. Not one scratch.
I have dropped my phones but on carpet except for my Nexus S, once.
I had barely got my Nexus, I was sooo happy. The problem was I had never held a phone as slick as it. So as I was walking out of the Best Buy store so happy about my new phone it fell and hit the mat. It was a HARD mat but not as tough as my Nexus S. This phone may not have Gorilla Glass but it still withstands a fall. The only thing I don't like is that the back scratches easily.
I HATE the InvisiSHIELD. It scratches EASILY!

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No, it doesn't matter if it has it. You're greatly overestimating the capabilities/defense that gorilla glass offers. It still scratches, and can still break just like any other glass. If you're as hard on your phone as you're saying, not even gorilla glass would do what you want.

First off, re-read my posts because I never once said I was hard on my phone. I said I'd like to go without the Zagg shield because of the reflections and such. I'm not rough on my phone. I've never dropped it, scratched it, or any of the above.

And its your opinion that Gorilla glass doesn't matter. In my opinion it does. Anything type of glass that is more resistant to scratching, cracking or shattering is better. Saying that it doesn't matter if your phone has the best glass for electronics known to man is just ridiculous.

To compare; if someone had sunscreen SPF 15 and SPF 45 and you were on the beach, you're stating that it doesn't matter which you use as long as you use one? That, sir, is ridiculous.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
First off, re-read my posts because I never once said I was hard on my phone. I said I'd like to go without the Zagg shield because of the reflections and such. I'm not rough on my phone. I've never dropped it, scratched it, or any of the above.

And its your opinion that Gorilla glass doesn't matter. In my opinion it does. Anything type of glass that is more resistant to scratching, cracking or shattering is better. Saying that it doesn't matter if your phone has the best glass for electronics known to man is just ridiculous.

To compare; if someone had sunscreen SPF 15 and SPF 45 and you were on the beach, you're stating that it doesn't matter which you use as long as you use one? That, sir, is ridiculous.

Except it really doesn't matter. The glass the S has is something similar to Gorilla Glass, so it'll stand up just fine. You just want it because it's some imagined missing feature, when in reality, its not going to make one bit of difference if you drop your phone or scratch it. (Gorilla glass still scratches and breaks, despite what you might think) You're talking about minute differences that really won't matter.

KCphotog

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Except it really doesn't matter. The glass the S has is something similar to Gorilla Glass, so it'll stand up just fine. You just want it because it's some imagined missing feature, when in reality, its not going to make one bit of difference if you drop your phone or scratch it. (Gorilla glass still scratches and breaks, despite what you might think) You're talking about minute differences that really won't matter.

There is a notable difference in the two and I do not get why you seem to push this issue. The NS screen is much cheaper then a Gorilla Glass screen. You are just speaking without facts here.

I get that some will want to defend the NS after paying too much for a dumbed down vibrant. I have one and the vibrant too. The screen on the NS is in no way equal or close to the quality of the vibrant.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
There is a notable difference in the two and I do not get why you seem to push this issue. The NS screen is much cheaper then a Gorilla Glass screen. You are just speaking without facts here.

I get that some will want to defend the NS after paying too much for a dumbed down vibrant. I have one and the vibrant too. The screen on the NS is in no way equal or close to the quality of the vibrant.

If you're talking about the actual screen, they're identical. And the S is in no way dumbed-down from the Vibrant. The hardware is almost identical, but the S has a GPS chip that actually works. And we're spared the misery that is TouchWiz.

And I'll state what I've said before; the S' glass is comprable to Gorilla Glass. Its like Apple's iPhone screen, which is very close to GG, but isn't actually that product. There is NO difference whatsoever that the user would actually be able to notice.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Why folks have this need to knock the NS at every opportunity is puzzling to me. To come into the NS forum and call the phone "dumbed down" is rather rude and not at all accurate.

The Nexus S is based on the Galaxy S hardware. Save for the Gorilla glass and the SD card slot, it has the same AMOLED screen, a better GPS, a FFC and all the other features of the Galaxy S. Plus, it's not hampered by Samsung's lackadaisical approach to software updates.

Seriously, do folks call the N1 a dumbed down Incredible?

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
There is NO difference whatsoever that the user would actually be able to notice.

Does this explain the crack sent down my screen after my first drop of only 2 feet? Does Gorilla Glass crack that easily? I am a huge fan of this phone. I have no complaints. But, I will not say it is durable. The scratches on the back and the crack on the front tell me differently. My N1 took a lot harder blows and showed minimal damage. I am practically replacing the whole exterior of the phone when (or if) they release a Nexus S Otterbox.

Fricken Awesomeness - 9/10
Durability - 4/10
(Numbers based on the "Zach Scale of Absolute Opinion and Experience")

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Does this explain the crack sent down my screen after my first drop of only 2 feet? Does Gorilla Glass crack that easily? I am a huge fan of this phone. I have no complaints. But, I will not say it is durable. The scratches on the back and the crack on the front tell me differently. My N1 took a lot harder blows and showed minimal damage. I am practically replacing the whole exterior of the phone when (or if) they release a Nexus S Otterbox.

Fricken Awesomeness - 9/10
Durability - 4/10
(Numbers based on the "Zach Scale of Absolute Opinion and Experience")

Gorilla glass can crack like any other glass if you hit it in the right place. Same with regular glass. You could drop an iPhone 4 (which, btw, HAS a compound identical to gorilla glass) four different ways and not have it break, and on the fifth it could shatter. It just really depends where it lands.

The durability of the rest of the phone is something that plagues all Galaxy S models, though the Nexus' build quality is a step above your run of the mill Vibrant or Fascinate.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Its amazing how you just put words in peoples mouths about what they want and what they assume and how it doesn't matter. All you have is your opinion and if you watched the video I posted you would see that Gorilla glass is stronger. So, its not just some made up fantasy land like you claim, but actual fact.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Everyone needs to understand, we are not beating our phones with bats, but it gives a much higher sense of security when using it. When I had a Vibrant, I found that to be the main reason why to buy the device, no other T-Mobile device had this, neither did Verizon or Sprint. We ask this because through extensive testing, they are very resistant to fall damage. By the way Samsung said they are using a sort of Gorilla Glass, I don't think they are using Gorilla Glass. By the way, I think the curved screen has something to do with it, maybe it just couldn't contour to the body of the Nexus S. Who knows, all we know though, is that we won't be doing any hard to watching YouTube videos of our devices being scratches with nails...

Sent from my Nexus S

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Its amazing how you just put words in peoples mouths about what they want and what they assume and how it doesn't matter. All you have is your opinion and if you watched the video I posted you would see that Gorilla glass is stronger. So, its not just some made up fantasy land like you claim, but actual fact.

Its stronger under very specific circumstances that you nor I will ever see barring a major accident. It still scratches, it still breaks, and THAT is a fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12