anymore news on at&t nexus?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
hey guys i really want a nexus s to mess with but im on at&t tmobile sucks in my area i know it comes unlocked but just wonderign is there any news on a model with at&t banding i tried searching but did not find anything. so i know ill be stuck with edge but i use most of my data on wifi so i dont think it will be a huge issue. so im just wonderign if i should wait

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yea i remember seeing that was hoping something new might have developed. the deal is im a phone junkie and i know ill be buying the atrix but i have a defective captivate im returning and was considering playing with something new and having it just to mess with and be able to get the latest updates. if i return the captivate and wait ill be stuck with a 3gs or htc surround until the atrix drops and i dont think im that patient lol :D

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Guys there is a reason Google went with T-Mobile, its not because they had a deal with T-Mobile, but because their bands are more universal, Google saves themselves the trouble of adding bands because T-Mobile devices work fine with other SIM cards from other countries. The AT&T version just has to wait simply because AT&T uses what they use.

Sent from my Nexus S

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yea already knew that was just wondering if an at&t model was coming but doesnt matter just picked up an unlocked one.

Skillz1318

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So you are using the Tmobile nexus s on at&t?

Let me know how it is being stuck on edge (2g) and not having 3g capability.

I may consider doing this, but not sure how much I will miss 3g.

I may wait until end of February to see if any other news surfaces then go this route if news of an at&t one does not surface.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yes i picked it up from best buy last night after returning my defective captivate. there were 2 things that made it easy 1. i know im buying the atrix at launch so ill have that if i need 3g data. 2. im at work from 6:30 to 5 everyday with wifi in the office and wifi at home. ive used edge only devices before and its really not too bad for basic browsing i dont recommend trying to watch hd videos on youtube but most thinks i dont notice. plus since im on wifi all day its reall only going to be an issue when i travel but that is minimal.

I am extremely happy with the device very snappy and 2.3 is great! i personally love vanilla android so i am happy to have that. I honestly have no complaints with the phone except that there is no external sd but i knew that when purchasing the phone so i cant fault it for that.

To anyone consider using this if you have regular access to wifi go for it if nto and you do a lot of 3g browsing then wait for the inspire or atrix. but i have no regrets! its a great phone for my needs it works and tmobile sucks in my area or i would have been a tmobile customer long ago.

setup was easy as popping in the sim it instantly recognized the at&t network and connected. i bought a mytouch3g back when they came out and unlocked it and you had to set up the apn settings and such still wasnt hard but the instant connect is nice.

and a side note i just really am amused and happy with the the effect when the screen goes off it reminds me of an odler tv turning off and i know has no bearing on the device just looks cool

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm on at&t with a nexus S and I get by with edge just fine. I do miss data speeds but ill just go to the mobile site.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The thing is AT&T has terrible customer service and just the worst plans ever, how could Motorola put that ATRIX masterpiece on that network... QQ.
I am surprised T-Mobile is getting a quite a lot of nice devices. We have the LG Black, the Xperia Play might come, then the Dell Streak 7 is a pretty affordable tablet and then the G-Slate looks different. I understand though, there are some people who don't get T-Mobile 3g...

Like Phil

Sent from my Nexus S

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The thing is AT&T has terrible customer service and just the worst plans ever, how could Motorola put that ATRIX masterpiece on that network... QQ.
I am surprised T-Mobile is getting a quite a lot of nice devices. We have the LG Black, the Xperia Play might come, then the Dell Streak 7 is a pretty affordable tablet and then the G-Slate looks different. I understand though, there are some people who don't get T-Mobile 3g...

Like Phil

Sent from my Nexus S

its funny you say this because verizon is the worst customer service i have personally dealt with tmobile is by far the best but their service is so horrible in my area i cant use them and sprint is the same way good customer service but bad service, i have never had an issue with AT&T service or customer service thats why i use them if sprint or tmobile were better in my area id jump to them but ill never go to verizon again! but just my two cents. im beginning to think im one of the few if not only that likes at&t

Last edited:

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It is funny you talk about data plans. I was thinking before Alltel turns into AT&T next month I should go to Alltel and get one of their data plans so when they switch over to AT&T I could have a good data plan and then wait for the Nexus.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It is funny you talk about data plans. I was thinking before Alltel turns into AT&T next month I should go to Alltel and get one of their data plans so when they switch over to AT&T I could have a good data plan and then wait for the Nexus.

interesting idea there lol

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Guys there is a reason Google went with T-Mobile, its not because they had a deal with T-Mobile, but because their bands are more universal, Google saves themselves the trouble of adding bands because T-Mobile devices work fine with other SIM cards from other countries. The AT&T version just has to wait simply because AT&T uses what they use.

Sent from my Nexus S

Lol t-mobile's 3g bands are not more universal. The t-mobile 2100 does not line up with the world standard 2100 used everywhere else, they are slightly mis aligned on the top and bottom ends so they do not line up. Besides its paired with the 1700 anyway. Only s!mobile and wind mobile use this configuration, where the 850 is used on ATT, rogers, Mexico, some south America, giving way more customer base population.

Me thinks it was just other factors for the choice of t-mobile.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Lol t-mobile's 3g bands are not more universal. The t-mobile 2100 does not line up with the world standard 2100 used everywhere else, they are slightly mis aligned on the top and bottom ends so they do not line up. Besides its paired with the 1700 anyway. Only s!mobile and wind mobile use this configuration, where the 850 is used on ATT, rogers, Mexico, some south America, giving way more customer base population.

Me thinks it was just other factors for the choice of t-mobile.

i agree i think the big factor to lead with tmobile is they were the first carrier for android and they allow sideloading unlike at&t

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Android's co-founders who went to work at Google included Andy Rubin (co-founder of Danger), Rich Miner (co-founder of Wildfire Communications, Inc.), Nick Sears (once VP at T-Mobile)

See the co-founder Nick Sears was once the VP of T-Mobile. I think that is why T-Mobile gets all the Nexus phones. That is why Google goes with them. That is why they got the G1, because one of the Android co-founders was T-Mobile's VP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae