Anyone here tired of the launcher freezing? Is there any work around? I found that using the stock one from the market is a little more stable, it still happens sometimes.... it seems it might be a Gingerbread issue.

Sent from my Nexus S
    02-05-2011 08:50 PM
    I've not noticed any freezes. But I have noticed that the INIT process keeps hitting 90% which makes my phone lag (and battery drain quicker). You can see it as "Android OS" using a high perctage of battery.

Funny thing is USB Debugging seems to fix it. Weird....
    02-06-2011 12:50 AM
    I've switched to ADW and never looked back.

But yes, this is just one of the many glitches known to Gingerbread.
    02-06-2011 10:41 AM
    I switched to Launcherpro, hoping that revamping that the Dec was talking about makes it look more like a Gingerbread launcher. Though it is so smooth, lag free and customization is amazing.

Sent from my Nexus S
    02-06-2011 07:27 PM
    It's my imagination, I know, but I swear, it feels as if this phone is out to embarrass me every time I try to show a friend something on my phone. The timing is absurd, but whenever I do, it always seems to glitch or have issue; either it lags, freezes, or once it even rebooted by itself.

And if I should try to show a picture in the gallery... forgetaboutit. I'm usually stuck just standing there for upwards of a minute waiting for the albums to load, and if the phone wants to really have fun, it'll sometimes open the wrong photographs.

All aboard the Gingerbread Glitch Train, making all stops.
    02-10-2011 09:14 AM
    Sounds like you're particular phone is out to get you! I've not had near those amount of problems.

If you're familliar with "top" in the UNIX world, take a look at the OS Monitor app. (If you haven't already). It lists all the processes running on the phone and how much CPU they're eating; in near real time. You can also click on a process and view the log entries regarding it. Nice utility.

I've found that some "lagginess" is due to the CPU being used for UI tasks like scrolling lists. Yes, I know, everyone knows that stock Android doesn't use hardware acceleration.

But what I didn't know is that scrolling a list can make the CPU jump to well over 60%! If another task, such as reading the SD card, is already using the CPU at even 30%, well, you can see why the UI would lag.......
    02-10-2011 02:13 PM
    I switched to Launcherpro, hoping that revamping that the Dec was talking about makes it look more like a Gingerbread launcher. Though it is so smooth, lag free and customization is amazing.

Sent from my Nexus S
    I have found PNG files to make LauncherPro's homescreen to be more gingerbreadish. (Like the green phone, green browswer icon, the more squared grey background on the dock). I have no idea how to post a file here, or if it's even possible. Just let me know if your interested and how to get a zip file to ya.

I too am waiting for the re-write. The "cube" effect in Laucnher Pro on the Nexus S is flaky for me. Hopefully the re-write gets that working.
    02-10-2011 02:19 PM
    I have to say I find ADW EX to be laggy on the Nexus S with a downloaded theme (minimalist, in this case). Launcher Pro was a bit better, but I've had the smoothest user experience with the Gingerbread vanilla UI, with all of it's flakiness.

I'm excited to see what the MOD community can do for it.

It's interesting to note that my gf has a Nexus S also, and has three or four times the issues I do; though I get the random reboots and she does not.

Glitchy batch of phones for sure.
    02-10-2011 06:05 PM
    My Nexus s is possessed but I still love it. I wish google would fix just one of the bugs.
    02-10-2011 07:07 PM
    I bought ADW Ex and tried LauncherPro as well, and both kept crashing *constantly* on my Nexus, so I switched back to the stock launcher, but haven't really noticed any slowdown like the OP mentions.
    02-10-2011 07:41 PM
    I haven't had the launcher freeze issue but have had the random reboot issue. Hope the next update fixes the issues.
    02-10-2011 07:55 PM
    Ya I had this issue. Just once hasn't happened again.
    02-10-2011 09:17 PM
    Wow - well I haven't used a Launcher since I got so frustrated with them crashing on my G1 and slowing it down, but I don't have any of the Nexus S issues you all are describing, so I can't help but feel that maybe my decision not to load a launcher was a good one.

Speaking of crashes, the only bug I've noticed on my phone is it freezes then crashes playing music. Happens in DoubleTwist and Winamp. Cannot remember if I've had it happen with the stock app.
    Anyone else see this?
    02-11-2011 10:12 AM
    I too hope the 2.3.3 update fixes this issue, I saw an entire thread on XDA complaining about this issue, I will see if it gives me the same problem again

Sent from my Nexus S
    02-11-2011 08:43 PM
    May I ask launcher freezes in what way?

Only thing I notice is pressing back button will hang the device and has to wait for it to resume in maybe 5 sec.

Back button will also not be lit while the other 3 buttons are lit.
    02-12-2011 02:04 AM
    May I ask launcher freezes in what way?

Only thing I notice is pressing back button will hang the device and has to wait for it to resume in maybe 5 sec.

Back button will also not be lit while the other 3 buttons are lit.
    Never had anything like that, but so far it has been working fine, I removed some Widgets so maybe it is the fact that I had too many resource consuming Widgets?

Sent from my Nexus S
    02-12-2011 03:58 PM
    Never had anything like that, but so far it has been working fine, I removed some Widgets so maybe it is the fact that I had too many resource consuming Widgets?
    Hmmm interesting. I've notice the launcher hang a bit from time to time. Also the odd time when I hit the home key it sort of reloads all the widgets. I've a fair few of the curvefish ones on my homescreens... possibly removing a few of them might solve the problem (which shouldn't be an issue in the first place!)
    09-14-2011 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD